Motherboard
Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have 32 GB RAM Installed but the "Memory Overview" pane suggests my configuration is incorrect - any ideas how I can fix this to report correctly?
You're using MacPro 7,1 SMBIOS, right? That's a standard problem with that SMBIOS.

In Catalina it could be fixed with a special kext, MacProMemoryNotificationDisabler.kext.

But unfortunately this kext currently no longer works in Big Sur, because some of Big Sur's changes broke a certain method of injection used by Lilu.

Last week I tried an alternative method to fix this - using OpenCore's CustomMemory setup to specifically define all of my RAM chips. This works in the sense that the configuration you specify does show up in About This Mac -> Memory. But no matter what I tried, I could not get rid of that error and its notification.

So currently the only solution I know of is to use the iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS instead, which I think a lot of users in this thread are already using? Personally I would prefer to use MacPro 7,1 as I feel it fits my hardware better (Cascade Lake X), however given this annoying memory notification, maybe I too will move to iMacPro 1,1.

It's possible that in time the developers of Lilu will find another way to run these patches on Big Sur, which could make MacProMemoryNotificationDisabler.kext work again. But I don't know if that's likely or not.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asrock X299 Creator
CPU
i9 10900X
Graphics
RX 5700XT
This one can’t load on your ACPI, I think :

Scope (_SB.PC00.LPC0)
{
Device (RTC0) ——> Device (RTC)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00")) // _HID: Hardware ID

;)
I can't boot Catalina with Device (RTC) instead of Device (RTC0)
EDIT
FYI : I can't boot without this SSDT-RTC0 (I ve just tried to be sure)

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asrock X299 Creator
CPU
i9 10900X
Graphics
RX 5700XT
@oli.mathieu
@rustEswan
Actually I can't determine if your problem is the result of SSDTs or other points in your setup : as i read you can load the installer, start the installation and the problem persists on reboot when the process stops ?

If there were problems with ACPI or Kexts, you would not be able to start the installer.

I see on screen shots problem reported to SIGKILL : Diskarbitration which send a SIGKILL ? Or GPU ?

Changing SMBIOS for exemple : I was unable to install the first beta with iMacPro SMBIOS on AMD X570, on X299 I only used iMacPro SMBIOS and it works well. Now with OC 0.6.4 the issue is gone on AMD X570...

Maybe your macOS Big Sur install app…so perhaps download the installer another time.
Here what happen
I boot on the USB installer
I format the SSD (APFS)
I launch the installation on the formatted SSD
A reboot take place around "12 min remaining" - Not a good sign isn't it ?
I boot on "MacOS Installer" from Opencore GUI
The progress bar get bigger and bigger
The display resolution change
2 seconds after it reboots - it's an infinite loop

Hope this help you to Help me :crazy:

Motherboard
ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme
CPU
i9-7940X
Graphics
2 X VEGA 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Here what happen
I format the SSD (APFS)

Don’t know if that can help you : you tried with and without vsmcgen=1 on bootarg ? I see some people keep it.

Motherboard
MSI X299 PRO
CPU
I9 10940X
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Don’t know if that can help you : you tried with and without vsmcgen=1 on bootarg ? I see some people keep it.
I have tried with vsmcgen=1 as well but didn't help either.

Just got home so going to try the process you suggested and capture the screens at reboot etc - will post back shortly. :thumbup:

Motherboard
i7
CPU
Graphics
GeForce GTX570
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
You're using MacPro 7,1 SMBIOS, right? That's a standard problem with that SMBIOS.

In Catalina and earlier it could be fixed with a special kext, MacProMemoryNotificationDisabler.kext.

But unfortunately this kext currently no longer works in Big Sur, because some of Big Sur's changes broke a certain method of injection used by Lilu.

Last week I tried an alternative method to fix this - using OpenCore's CustomMemory setup to specifically define all of my RAM chips. This works in the sense that the configuration you specify does show up in About This Mac -> Memory. But no matter what I tried, I could not get rid of that error and its notification.

So currently the only solution I know of is to use the iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS instead, which I think a lot of users in this thread are already using? Personally I would prefer to use MacPro 7,1 as I feel it fits my hardware better (Comet Lake X), however given this annoying memory notification, maybe I too will move to iMacPro 1,1.

It's possible that in time the developers of Lilu will find another way to run these patches on Big Sur, which could make MacProMemoryNotificationDisabler.kext work again. But I don't know if that's likely or not.

In Catalina it could be fixed with a special kext, MacProMemoryNotificationDisabler.kext.

So currently the only solution I know of is to use the iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS instead, which I think a lot of users in this thread are already using? Personally I would prefer to use MacPro 7,1 as I feel it fits my hardware better (Cascade Lake X), however given this annoying memory notification, maybe I too will move to iMacPro 1,1.

thanks for the clarification @TheBloke . I am indeed on MacPro 7,1 - however, when I try any other SMBIOS (eg: iMacPro 1,1), my display doesn't render when booting. In other words, I can then only get the display to render on MacPro 7,1 - weird.. because that memory info is annoying when not displaying correct!

Next issue to fix.. Audio. Thanks for the help :)

Motherboard
MSI X299 PRO
CPU
I9 10940X
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok :

Disconnect Windows disk, reboot on Catalina, format your Big Sur install disk, reboot on USB installer , when you come at macOS gui screen , choose disk utility, format another time your Big Sur Install disk (APFS) name it Big Sur and restart the installation , take a screen shot each time you boot the installer and at the end of verbose process.
( I will come back at end of afternoon)

So same thing happens, pictures attached - this time I left installer log on errors only and got some clearer pictures of what's happening before it reboots at 12 minutes as well but these are the screen shots as requested, Windows drive removed:

1. First boot from USB installer - select Install MacOS Big Sur
  2. Reformat Big Sur drive from the booted installer
  3. Select Big Sur disk to install onto
  4. Installer log begins OK
  5. Installer log errors about "EFI builder // cannot find resource"
  6. Verbose output at installer crash at 12 minutes remaining (camera wouldn't focus but its the same as 9)
  7. Opencore screen at second reboot - no Preboot volume but "MacOS Installer" appears and is selected for boot
  8. Begins to boot, progress bar and mouse cursor before blank screen and reboot
  9. Verbose output screen - same as 6, reboot.

The verbose screens seem to indicate that some disks are write protected? Something preventing the installer from creating Preboot volume correctly?

Attachments

• 1 first boot USB installer.JPG
    1 first boot USB installer.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 2 reformat Big Sur disk.JPG
    2 reformat Big Sur disk.JPG
    252.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 3 Select Big Sur disk to install.JPG
    3 Select Big Sur disk to install.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 4 Installer log.JPG
    4 Installer log.JPG
    238.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 5 Installer log errors at 12 minutes.JPG
    5 Installer log errors at 12 minutes.JPG
    394.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 6 verbose crash prior to reboot.JPG
    6 verbose crash prior to reboot.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 7 Second boot after installer crash.JPG
    7 Second boot after installer crash.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 8 Second boot progress bar.JPG
    8 Second boot progress bar.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 9 Second boot verbose crash.JPG
    9 Second boot verbose crash.JPG
    355.9 KB · Views: 10
Motherboard
Gigabyte X299 UD4 PRO
CPU
I7 9800X
Graphics
AMD RX 580 PULSE 8GB
Here what happen
I format the SSD (APFS)

I have very similiar issue. Pretty much reboot at the same place, 12 min remaining. Available options in OpenCore are same as they are when first launching USB. I select MacOS Installer as well. I get verbose output, within moments there is a reboot and infinite loop. The output is too quick to get anything out of it. There seems to be no logs on Big Sur partition. OpenCore log on USB isn't very helpful, since it stops logging when I get to OpenCore Bootloader, right?

Any ideas?

Motherboard
MSI X299 Gaming Carbon AC
CPU
Intel 7900x
Graphics
Radeon RX580
So same thing happens, pictures attached - this time I left installer log on errors only and got some clearer pictures of what's happening before it reboots at 12 minutes as well but these are the screen shots as requested, Windows drive removed:

1. First boot from USB installer - select Install MacOS Big Sur
  2. Reformat Big Sur drive from the booted installer
  3. Select Big Sur disk to install onto
  4. Installer log begins OK
  5. Installer log errors about "EFI builder // cannot find resource"
  6. Verbose output at installer crash at 12 minutes remaining (camera wouldn't focus but its the same as 9)
  7. Opencore screen at second reboot - no Preboot volume but "MacOS Installer" appears and is selected for boot
  8. Begins to boot, progress bar and mouse cursor before blank screen and reboot
  9. Verbose output screen - same as 6, reboot.

The verbose screens seem to indicate that some disks are write protected? Something preventing the installer from creating Preboot volume correctly?

I don’t think that #6 is a crash. I think it’s a normal advance to the next step. Catalina does the same thing for me when I reinstalled it recently. I have the same bootloop in Big Sur (also MSI X299, just different variant) from that point on.