i9 10940X
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So no takers yet for my issue - would it be best for me to start a separate thread for some support on working through the issues I've got with Big Sur install and then come back here with a full write up/EFI folder resource once I've worked everything though?

Just after advice on best way to go about it - thanks

Motherboard
Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING
CPU
i9 9940x
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
So I seem to be having a similar issue as everyone else is here with Big Sur. I actually had Big Sur up and running smoothinly for days upon its offical release. Now i have upgraded my CPU to a i9-9940x with a X299 Prime Deluxe ii Mobo and im able to get to the apple logo with Opencore 0.6.3 and 0.6.4 but it hangs and stalls. I have attached my EFI, my GPu at the moment is a Radeon VI. Let me know what you guys think and what possible changes can be made.

Attachments

• EFI_asusx299primeDii.zip
    63.9 MB · Views: 54
Motherboard
i7
CPU
Graphics
GeForce GTX570
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, if you are using the dortania opencore install guide for Intel HEDT everything is working like a charme - you only need 4 ssdt: PLUG, USBX, RTC0, AWAC for a first setup... took me about 30 minutes to make a efi. read, learn and install. you do not need efi from other guys, cause if you do it for yourselves it is easy for you to understand how it works and you will have no problems with further updates (opencore & system):thumbup:

Hi @ol2003 - you are 100% correct. I reverted to the "base" version with the 4 ssdt and the booting of the installer is going much further.

I get the Apple logo and then the dark grey background with a mouse pointer. It is not going further than this. I don't see the menu bar at the top or the setup screen in the middle... any ideas? Could it be that my Nvme is interfering? I am not planning to install macOS on the nvme but rather a 256GB SSD.

Much appreciated!

Motherboard
MSI X299 Gaming Carbon AC
CPU
Intel 7900x
Graphics
Radeon RX580
First off, this is my first post in years but been lurking and learning here since probably 2011 - although still feel like a massive novice. Second, I think the Build Signatures are broken because I don't seem to be able to make mine update at all.

I am having an issue installing Big Sur - I can boot the installer, complete the first graphical part of the install and reboot. On the reboot I select the Mac OS Installer on my SSD for Big Sur, this time it boots to the progress bar, then mouse pointer appears with the progress bar, screen goes black, shows a spinning logo for a second and reboots. Then this just keeps happening in a loop. When this happens even with the -V boot-arg Its already switched to graphical progress bar so I can't see where its failing.

Its an MSI X299 Pro, i9 10940x, Radeon RX 560, 2x Sabrent Rocket NVMe drives. Opencore 6.3.

I followed the Dortania guide to the letter for manual SSDT builds specific to my machine.

I have a perfectly functioning Catalina 10.15.7 build, sleep, wake, USB map, DRM everything seems to work perfectly except perhaps NVRAM. More on that in a second...

I initially suspected either EC or RCT0-RANGE as the problem because there is some weirdness with this motherboard:
  • It has no EC device. In Windows device manager there is no entry for "ACPI Embedded Controller" or similar. And searching the dumped DSDT for PNP0C09 finds "0" results.
  • It has both an AWAC and RTC device, with I think, a property that switched (STAS I'm barely even a beginner at ACPI!) to switch between the two, but it also seems to be missing the mapped section for the RTC device (0x70 range, 0x2 length)
  • Opencore requires npci=0x2000 boot-arg to boot
I have manually created SSDT's and Im pretty sure they are now working correctly.

In IoregExplorer I can see an EC device the name "ACID0001" and a newly created RTC0 device with name "PNP0B00" (and no old RTC device) with the two ranges properly mapped - address 0x70, length 0x4 and address 0x74, length 0x4.

I have tried a number of things suggested in the Dortania guide including adding vsmcgen=1 to boot-args and replacing VirtualSMC with fake SMC, with and without NVMEfix.kext and WEG but the behaviour is always the same.

Regarding my NVRAM, I have noticed that my while my custom SSDT-PMC at least shows a PMCR device with name "APP9876" in IoregExplorer, it doesn't appear to be working as NVRAM should - Opencore doesn't save any changes to "startup disk" for example.

So I have a couple of questions and one favour to ask:

1. What is the best way for me to debug and collect or view log files to find out more about exactly what point its rebooting if -V is no longer showing the verbose output? It starts to show but once the screen shuts off and comes back with a progress bar and mouse pointer there is no verbose output to see anymore.
  2. Is this potentially related to a non-functioning NVRAM implementation - If so some guidance in fixing that would be appreciated.
  3. Could someone take a look at my custom SSDT's and give them a sanity check given my novice editing

(EFI folder attached with the SMBIOS cleaned and I removed resources and tools folders to reduce size, please let me know if you'd like to check the original DSDT dump, I'll add that too)

Thanks in advance for any help - and hopefully this can be worked through to another success so we can add another motherboard and config guide to the thread.
Do you see any MSR settings in your bios? On my MSI X299 Carbon I have to disable MSR lock, but seems to work after that. If you have something like that, maybe disable, then change your config list to set AppleXcpmCfgLock to False? if you don't have that, then also set AppleCpuPmCfgLock to True as well? Might affect the NVRAM questions one way or the other.

Motherboard
Asus PRIME X299-A
CPU
i7-7820X
Graphics
RX5700XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Today I did a fresh install with Big Sur, opencore 0.6.3 after many months of using beta, what I upgraded from Catalina.

Everything went fine, my system is working perfectly, but I can not login into my apple ID. I did generate new serial, system ID etc... tried few different, but no luck. I get this message: "icloud unsupported device"

Interesting thing, I can login in appstore... but not in system preferences/icloud. Do you have guys any idea?

Motherboard
MSI X299 PRO
CPU
i9 10940X
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Do you see any MSR settings in your bios? On my MSI X299 Carbon I have to disable MSR lock, but seems to work after that. If you have something like that, maybe disable, then change your config list to set AppleXcpmCfgLock to False? if you don't have that, then also set AppleCpuPmCfgLock to True as well? Might affect the NVRAM questions one way or the other.

Thanks - I've double checked those and I definitely have CFG lock disabled in bios, AppleXcpmCFGLock set to False - I tried the AppleCpuCfgLock both ways but its still the same every time.

Im going to upgrade to Opencore 0.6.4 latest on a separate USB and see how that fairs...

(actually I tried that already but just get "OCB Image failed to load!" so I don't think it set up properly, I'll rebuild a new clean EFI based on OC 0.6.4 and make sure it works fine with Catalina before trying it on the Big Sur installer)

Still suspecting no NVRAM is messing with secure boot or something, so may need to revisit that.

Motherboard
Asus Prime X299-DELUXE
CPU
i9-7960X
Graphics
Radeon VII
My build seems to be up and working pretty well.

Build Specifications:
  • ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Encore (BIOS 0702)
  • Intel i9-10980XE
  • 2x16 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3200) (Will upgrade to 4x16)
  • AMD Sapphire Pulse RX 580
  • Nvidia Geforce RTX 3090 Strix OC
  • Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB (macOS)
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB (Windows 10)
  • BCM94360NG Wifi/BT (Replaced on board since intel drivers are still in beta)
  • Corsair HX1000i
  • Lian Li PC011 Dynamic XL
PCIe Layout
  • x16 - RTX 3090
  • x4 - N/A (Disabled since M.2 is in higher slot)
  • x16 - N/A
  • x4 - RX 580 (Running at x4 since M.2 is in right slot on DIMM.2)
Issues:
  • Sleep causes instant wake (assume due to RTX 3090)
  • SideCar does not work (since no T2 chip using Duet Display instead)
OpenCore Specifics:
  • Version 0.6.3
  • MacPro7,1 SMBIOS
    • ACPI​
    • SSDT-SBUS-MCHC.aml​
    • SSDT-PLUG.aml​
    • SSDT-EC-USBX.aml​
    • SSDT-RTC0.aml​
    • SSDT-GPU-DISABLE.aml (Disables RTX 3090 in macOS)​
    • Kernel Kexts​
    • Lilu.kext​
    • VirtualSMC.kext​
    • SMCProcessor.kext​
    • SMCSuperIO.kext​
    • AppleALC.kext​
    • WhateverGreen.kext (Seems to hep when running dual GPUs)​
    • IntelMausi.kext​
    • TSCAdjustReset.kext​
    • USBMap.kext (think mapped everything except internal USB 2.0 header)​
    • Kernel Patch​
    • ACQ107 10G patch for macOS Big Sur​
    • Kernel Quirks​
    • CustomSBIOSGuid - YES (Enabled since setting to 'No' seems to mess with ASUS Aura in Windows)​
    • PlatformInfo​
    • UpdateSMBIOSMode - Custom (Enabled since seems to mess with ASUS Aura in Windows)​
Yes I still have plastic on side panels :lol:
View attachment 497199
It's too bad that you can't use that amazing nVidia GPU, but at least you can use the AMD one with macOS X. Nice system!

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asrock X299 Creator
CPU
i9 10900X
Graphics
GT 710
Mac
  1. MacBook
Thanks - I've double checked those and I definitely have CFG lock disabled in bios, AppleXcpmCFGLock set to False - I tried the AppleCpuCfgLock both ways but its still the same every time.

Im going to upgrade to Opencore 0.6.4 latest on a separate USB and see how that fairs...

(actually I tried that already but just get "OCB Image failed to load!" so I don't think it set up properly, I'll rebuild a new clean EFI based on OC 0.6.4 and make sure it works fine with Catalina before trying it on the Big Sur installer)

Still suspecting no NVRAM is messing with secure boot or something, so may need to revisit that.
I think I'm having the same issue as yours ....
i did many many try .. always failed
I know that I never succeed to make the NVRAM work ....

Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
After looking at some M1 benchmarks on low end Mac's, I think we are nearing the end of the line for Hackintoshes.

The 13" MacBook Pro is even beating the $4,000 MacBook Pro 16" with 8 cores in many benchmarks, including x86 JIT translated apps that are not for ARM running via Rosetta 2.

A Mx (whatever they will call it) Mac Pro or an iMac is going to kill Intel on-sight.

This is actually really embarrassing for Intel, if I were them I would just quit the industry.

I'm actually looking forward to a redesigned iMac (which most likely will look like an XDR display chassis)