Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious about your setup :)
  • BIOS Version
  • Thunderbolt Settings Enabled? Or Jumped pins 3 and 5
    • If Thunderbolt settings enabled, what settings?
  • What Thunderbolt devices do you use?
  • I think reading the firmware in System Report is enough.

Looks like i am on NVM23?
@izo1

EDIT: I am actually pretty sure that it is this ROM i use:

Bios Version 3301
Thunderbolt settings enabled in bios + jumped pins 3 and 5
I have the settings provided long time ago from KGP.

I have a Focusrite Clarett (Thunderbolt version 1, daisy chained through a UAD-2 Satellite (Thunderbolt 2).
It works turning on and off, or boot without and then connect, etc. Sometimes i have my hack on for weeks and just turn the UAD on and off every day. No problems even after weeks. Really happy about it, because in KGP's prime time, i heard that daisy chaining where a bit of a pain to solve, with hot plug.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-18 at 10.26.09.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-18 at 10.26.09.png
    149.2 KB · Views: 53
I can't start install Big Sur 11.5.01 + OC 0.7.2

I can see UEFI USB installer in Bios but install don't start.

I think cause is CMS support is enlable. But if i disable it, PC freeze on boot screen, I can't enter Bios any more, I need make a clear CMOS.

- Gigabyte X299 Designare EX - Bios F6
- i9 9940X
- 128Go Corsaire Vengeance RGB Pro 3200Mhz
- Radeon RX 6900 XT
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500Go
- Fenvi TG 919
- Corsaire AX 1000
We have the exact same motherboard, although I'm on BIOS version F7e because I have a 10940x CPU. I wiped my original MacOS 11.1 with OC 0.6.6, going to install OC 0.7.2 and MacOS 11.5.x soon, I've mapped what I need for USB, There are some BIOS settings that you should follow here under Gigabyte BIOS, then try. Don't give up yet buddy!

I'll update when I get the base USB EFI install working...

Looks like i am on NVM23?
@izo1

EDIT: I am actually pretty sure that it is this ROM i use:

Bios Version 3301
Thunderbolt settings enabled in bios + jumped pins 3 and 5
I have the settings provided long time ago from KGP.

I have a Focusrite Clarett (Thunderbolt version 1, daisy chained through a UAD-2 Satellite (Thunderbolt 2).
It works turning on and off, or boot without and then connect, etc. Sometimes i have my hack on for weeks and just turn the UAD on and off every day. No problems even after weeks. Really happy about it, because in KGP's prime time, i heard that daisy chaining where a bit of a pain to solve, with hot plug.

Thanks for that!

I've tried this ROM, and different BIOSES. I am not using a jumped pin for now, and have settings enabled. Most likely it has to do with that. Are you using the TB mobo cable?

BTW if you enable the jumper mod, the TB settings in the BIOS are overriden I think. @djlild7hina knows more about this.

Thanks for that!

I've tried this ROM, and different BIOSES. I am not using a jumped pin for now, and have settings enabled. Most likely it has to do with that. Are you using the TB mobo cable?

BTW if you enable the jumper mod, the TB settings in the BIOS are overriden I think. @djlild7hina knows more about this.

When i first jumped the pins and try to disable TB settings in bios i got KP's and didn't ever try again after that, since it works enabled.
No Mobo Cable, just jumped pins.

But it really sounds like your issue will get solved by just jumping the pins! :D
Good luck and let me know!

Last edited:
In some cases disabling BIOS —> Wake on LAN can help.
Thanks, but the system will auto wake at in the morning.
How to fix it? please see below code.
2021-08-14 21:58:30 +0800 Sleep Entering Sleep state due to 'Software Sleep pid=179': Using AC (Charge:0%) 14102 secs
2021-08-15 01:53:32 +0800 DarkWake DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] : due to RTC0/Maintenance Using AC (Charge:0%) 45 secs
2021-08-15 01:54:17 +0800 Sleep Entering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep': Using AC (Charge:0%) 1184 secs
2021-08-15 02:14:01 +0800 DarkWake DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] : due to RTC0/Maintenance Using AC (Charge:0%) 47 secs
2021-08-15 02:14:48 +0800 Sleep Entering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep': Using AC (Charge:0%) 4673 secs
2021-08-15 03:32:41 +0800 DarkWake DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] : due to RTC0/Maintenance Using AC (Charge:0%) 46 secs
2021-08-15 03:33:27 +0800 Sleep Entering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep': Using AC (Charge:0%) 896 secs
2021-08-15 03:48:23 +0800 DarkWake DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] : due to RTC0/Maintenance Using AC (Charge:0%) 46 secs
2021-08-15 03:49:09 +0800 Sleep Entering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep': Using AC (Charge:0%) 7605 secs
2021-08-15 05:55:54 +0800 DarkWake DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] : due to RTC0/Maintenance Using AC (Charge:0%) 27 secs
2021-08-15 05:56:21 +0800 Wake DarkWake to FullWake from Normal Sleep [CDNVA] : due to HID Activity Using AC (Charge:0%)

I'm buying a used Mac Pro 28 core to hold me over to end of 2022 hah! Going to put the 6900XT in there.

Sad but can't be tweaking during work! :thumbup:

Thanks, but the system will auto wake at in the morning.
How to fix it? please see below code.

If it's waking up in the middle of the night, it's probably doing the maintenance checks
Refer to the Dortania guide to disable them

I'm buying a used Mac Pro 28 core to hold me over to end of 2022 hah! Going to put the 6900XT in there.

Sad but can't be tweaking during work! :thumbup:

I'm not jealous at all! (jk super jealous) Congrats on your Mac! :)

When i first jumped the pins and try to disable TB settings in bios i got KP's and didn't ever try again after that, since it works enabled.
No Mobo Cable, just jumped pins.

But it really sounds like your issue will get solved by just jumping the pins! :D
Good luck and let me know!

I've had some weird issues with Thunderbolt lately and don't know if it's just picky about NVM version or what. If I use NVM-33 with Thunderbolt Settings and the mobo cable. Cold boot works as normal but unplugging my Caldigit TS3, macOS instantly locks up.

If I jump cables, and use/don't use Thunderbolt settings cold boot doesn't work but it works fine after a reboot. Replugging it in doesn't appear to do anything though.

Maybe I'll try flashing NVM23 to see if there's anything different :lol:

I've had some weird issues with Thunderbolt lately and don't know if it's just picky about NVM version or what. If I use NVM-33 with Thunderbolt Settings and the mobo cable. Cold boot works as normal but unplugging my Caldigit TS3, macOS instantly locks up.

If I jump cables, and use/don't use Thunderbolt settings cold boot doesn't work but it works fine after a reboot. Replugging it in doesn't appear to do anything though.

Mabe I'll try flashing NVM23 to see if there's anything different :lol:
That’s weird. Did you have it working pre big sur? Cause since i flashed it with @Elias64Fr NVM23 and made a custom SDST as described by @CaseySJ in his Z390 thread, i have never had any issues with TB at all. Both Catalina and BS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back