Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't start install Big Sur 11.5.01 + OC 0.7.2

I can see UEFI USB installer in Bios but install don't start.

I think cause is CMS support is enlable. But if i disable it, PC freeze on boot screen, I can't enter Bios any more, I need make a clear CMOS.

- Gigabyte X299 Designare EX - Bios F6
- i9 9940X
- 128Go Corsaire Vengeance RGB Pro 3200Mhz
- Radeon RX 6900 XT
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500Go
- Fenvi TG 919
- Corsaire AX 1000
Do you have an older generation AMD GPU instead of 6900 XT?

Are you using boot argument “agdpmod=pikera”?

Thanks to @CaseySJ and others for helping.

I just flashed the GC-Titan Ridge with NVM23 and NVM33 and it does indeed show up in ioreg again. Currently on NVM33 (Aorus Extreme)

This is how it looks when doing a cold boot with TB3 device connected:
Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 1.23.40 AM.png

Then it looks like this if removed and replugged while under macOS.
Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 1.24.39 AM.png

But IOReg always looks like this before any action happens.
Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 1.22.31 AM.png

It works after a soft reset, but not on a cold boot.
Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 1.54.35 AM.png

It seems that once the thunderbolt port is activated (with a TB3 device connected) and then a soft restart while it's connected, I can do Hot Plug. I can also use USB-C on any port and Hot Plug USB-C or any of the two combinations! So I guess this solves the problem :)

This works on the latest 3501 X299 Sage10G board from ASUS with NVM23 firmware.

So the lesson here is, you start macOS and boot into the system, then plug your TB3 device, and do a soft reset and it will work all day long as long as you don't shut down. The TB3 activation also helps stabilize USB-C to work at any given time. If you don't use TB3 at least once in a fresh soft reboot, USB-C will be a bit wonky (sometimes working only on one port).

So this issue is finally solved :D

Last edited:
Thanks to @CaseySJ and others for helping.

I just flashed the GC-Titan Ridge with NVM23 and NVM33 and it does indeed show up in ioreg again. Currently on NVM33 (Aorus Extreme)

This is how it looks when doing a cold boot with TB3 device connected:
View attachment 526900

Then it looks like this if removed and replugged while under macOS.
View attachment 526901

But IOReg always looks like this before any action happens.
View attachment 526899

It works after a soft reset, but not on a cold boot.
View attachment 526903

It seems that once the thunderbolt port is activated (with a TB3 device connected) and then a soft restart while it's connected, I can do Hot Plug. I can also use USB-C on any port and Hot Plug USB-C or any of the two combinations! So I guess this solves the problem :)

This works on the latest 3501 X299 Sage10G board from ASUS with NVM23 firmware.

So the lesson here is, you start macOS and boot into the system, then plug your TB3 device, and do a soft reset and it will work all day long as long as you don't shut down. The TB3 activation also helps stabilize USB-C to work at any given time. If you don't use TB3 at least once in a fresh soft reboot, USB-C will be a bit wonky (sometimes working only on one port).

So this issue is finally solved :D

Hm I did notice that the link speed and status looks a bit wonky after hot plug. So hot plug still works with the up to 10gb/x2? It happens to me too on NVM33 and a lower BIOS but I only have one tb device so idk if another one works or not

Also if anyone is curious, you can use the U.2 ports with adapters to get extra PCIe slots :lol: Thunderbolt is definitely picky about extension cables using this method though and sleep is completely broken and causes an instant reboot with

Code:
Sleep Wake failure in EFI (Failure code:: 0xffffffff 0x0000001f)

Last edited:
Hm I did notice that the link speed and status looks a bit wonky after hot plug. So hot plug still works with the up to 10gb/x2? It happens to me too on NVM33 and a lower BIOS but I only have one tb device so idk if another one works or not

Also if anyone is curious, you can use the U.2 ports with adapters to get extra PCIe slots :lol: Thunderbolt is definitely picky about extension cables using this method though and sleep is completely broken and causes an instant reboot with

Code:
Sleep Wake failure in EFI (Failure code:: 0xffffffff 0x0000001f)

It shows 10Gb/x2 after plugging it in on a fresh cold boot. Then a soft reboot makes it work properly at 40Gb/x2 or whatever the speed is. Can't believe I wasted hours on this haha, but overall it's all good now!

Also on my end, USB-C is wonky if you don't "activate" the TB3 first, which is by just plugging in a TB3 device after a cold boot, and then rebooting. After that everything works as expected, including Hot Plug on TB3 and USBC.

OpenCore 0.7.2 for ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G
  • Updated to Latest version of OpenCore
  • Added proper Thunderbolt 3 support for GC-Titan Ridge v1.0 (Slot 2, with cable attached to onboard TB port, using NVM33)
  • USB-C/TB3 all works 100% (With Hot Plug), completing system with no outstanding issues. You must activate TB3 by plugging in any TB3 device first on a cold boot, which your system will not see, but then you must do a soft restart. After that TB3/USB-C will work properly with Hot Plug until you shut down your system (I leave mine always on so it's never an issue).

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 5.11.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 5.27.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 5.33.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 1.54.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 2.14.02 PM.png

PciConfig.jpg

BIOS v3501 for ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G
  • Added Apple Splash screen
  • Instructions how to flash are here (make sure to clear CMOS after flashing with BIOS Flashback)

@hkuser here you go, if you still need it. :thumbup:

Attachments

• ASUS_SAGE10G_3501_BIOS_APL_SPLASH.zip
    10.1 MB · Views: 73
  • IZO1_OC_072_X299_SAGE10G_EFI.zip
    8.5 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
It shows 10Gb/x2 after plugging it in on a fresh cold boot. Then a soft reboot makes it work properly at 40Gb/x2 or whatever the speed is. Can't believe I wasted hours on this haha, but overall it's all good now!

Also on my end, USB-C is wonky if you don't "activate" the TB3 first, which is by just plugging in a TB3 device after a cold boot, and then rebooting. After that everything works as expected, including Hot Plug on TB3 and USBC.

I am actually quite surprised that it doesn't work properly on cold boots. Since my card works just flawless. Don't remember the exact rom i flashed with though (it's an old one) , but next time i open up my hack, i could read my current firmware and send over if you want. :)

Hey Guys, I'm still on BIOS 3105 on my ASUS x299 Tuf Mark 1. Is it safe to go 3501? Are the any significant changes I should be aware of?

I am actually quite surprised that it doesn't work properly on cold boots. Since my card works just flawless. Don't remember the exact rom i flashed with though (it's an old one) , but next time i open up my hack, i could read my current firmware and send over if you want. :)

I'm curious about your setup :)
  • BIOS Version
  • Thunderbolt Settings Enabled? Or Jumped pins 3 and 5
    • If Thunderbolt settings enabled, what settings?
  • What Thunderbolt devices do you use?
  • I think reading the firmware in System Report is enough.

Sure, It may help :)
FYI I'm on Rev 1.0 of GC-Titan Ridge and tried NVM22, NVM33 and NVM20 I believe for firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back