N/A
Graphics
N/A
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
On Designare Z390 and Z490 Vision D, the new BIOS kills USB on the built-in Thunderbolt ports. I haven’t checked the behavior of an add-in Thunderbolt card under these circumstances.

ASUS is in contact with me regarding this, I am about to send them some materials and explanation so they can fix this.

I suggest if you guys have time to email them at:
servicecenter_am@asus.com

They have fixed some BIOS issues before when I emailed them. Especially if this issue is across multiple motherboards, they will for sure fix it.

Motherboard
ASUS Pro WS X299 Sage II
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
Radeon Pro W5500
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ and @izo1 just ran some tests on the latest BIOS 3501 for the Sage 10G

XHC Controller does not populate on NVM33-Designare, NVM33-Aorus-Extreme, or NVM50-GC-TitanRidgeV2.0. This is with jumping pins 3 and 5 without Thunderbolt Settings. I assume my original mentions still stand and previous BIOS version 3302 is the best version for the best Thunderbolt support.

One thing I did notice is my Caldigit TS3 Plus dock has no drivers loaded on a coldboot but works fine after a reboot. This occurs on pretty much every NVM firmware and BIOS. Not a big deal though since I usually just sleep my comp

Motherboard
N/A
CPU
N/A
Graphics
N/A
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ and @izo1 just ran some tests on the latest BIOS 3501 for the Sage 10G

XHC Controller does not populate on NVM33-Designare, NVM33-Aorus-Extreme, or NVM50-GC-TitanRidgeV2.0. This is with jumping pins 3 and 5 without Thunderbolt Settings. I assume my original mentions still stand and previous BIOS version 3302 is the best version for the best Thunderbolt support.

One thing I did notice is my Caldigit TS3 Plus dock has no drivers loaded on a coldboot but works fine after a reboot. This occurs on pretty much every NVM firmware and BIOS. Not a big deal though since I usually just sleep my comp

Hm this affirms that its BIOS related it seems. I'm going to flash to NVM33 this weekend and will post results as well. I am still on the old BIOS before ResizeBar (had to downgrade for testing) so will post if theres any findings.

Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 PRO
CPU
i9-9960X
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Glad you figured this out! Sorry didn’t have a chance to look at your post earlier

np @djlild7hina ;) that a look at it, if you have time. especially the SSDTs :) I think there's place for improvement there...

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS Pro WS X299 Sage II
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
Radeon Pro W5500
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
np @djlild7hina ;) that a look at it, if you have time. especially the SSDTs :) I think there's place for improvement there...

Taking a quick look I think it looks fine

These SSDTs could probably be configured in DeviceProperties though but it doesn't really matter. They're mostly cosmetic anyway
  • SSDT-HDEF
  • SSDT-X299-PMCR
  • SSDT-X299-THSS

I'm not sure if you need HibernationFixup or UTBMap? What does UTBMap do?

Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 PRO
CPU
i9-9960X
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Taking a quick look I think it looks fine

These SSDTs could probably be configured in DeviceProperties though but it doesn't really matter. They're mostly cosmetic anyway
  • SSDT-HDEF
  • SSDT-X299-PMCR
  • SSDT-X299-THSS

I'm not sure if you need HibernationFixup or UTBMap? What does UTBMap do?
hello @djlild7hina !

those SSDTs are cosmetic, yes :)

USBToolBox + UTBmap are needed for usb map. I found this tool https://github.com/USBToolBox/kext through which you can map all your USB ports in a couple of minutes. it works under windows too. I mapped all USB ports, except the 2 at the bottom of the rear panel (-4 personalities in total).

I'll test without hibernationfixup, if it's not needed, I'll remove it.

I attach the verbose print, politely asking you if you can spot something not good...

again, many thanks!

Attachments

• opencore-2021-08-06-161527.txt
    256 KB · Views: 15
Motherboard
ASUS Pro WS X299 Sage II
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
Radeon Pro W5500
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
hello @djlild7hina !

those SSDTs are cosmetic, yes :)

USBToolBox + UTBmap are needed for usb map. I found this tool https://github.com/USBToolBox/kext through which you can map all your USB ports in a couple of minutes. it works under windows too. I mapped all USB ports, except the 2 at the bottom of the rear panel (-4 personalities in total).

I'll test without hibernationfixup, if it's not needed, I'll remove it.

I attach the verbose print, politely asking you if you can spot something not good...

again, many thanks!

Ah so that method uses two kexts instead of one with USBMap. Looks fine to me

Motherboard
ASRock X299E-ITX/ac
CPU
Intel i9-10980XE
Graphics
AMD 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all, long time lurker here!

I've been running a spicy little ITX i9-10980EX build successfully for a bit now, it's super cool (it's boiling alive hehe).

Shout out to @kubusikan you're posts have greatly helped me :clap:

Looking to move up to an ATX/full-size tower build with Thunderbolt and 10g Networking being at the core, + 4x NVME raid card (storage only) and finally with the intention of adding an additional 6900XT later down the line, (DaVinci Resolve colourist here).

Looking at the options, I've whittled them down to either:
  • Asus WS X299 SAGE/10G
  • Gigabyte X299X DESIGNARE 10G
Given the price of X550 10G NIC cards, having one onboard is great value for sure.

Gigabyte seems to be the all in one choice, even including the 4x NVME card, I just prefer the styling of the Asus...

Would love to know people's experiences nonetheless, I feel I have skimmed through and seen mentions of the Asus SAGE 10G having more issues?

Much love, ƒ

Motherboard
ASUS Pro WS X299 Sage II
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
Radeon Pro W5500
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all, long time lurker here!

I've been running a spicy little ITX i9-10980EX build successfully for a bit now, it's super cool (it's boiling alive hehe).

Shout out to @kubusikan you're posts have greatly helped me :clap:

Looking to move up to an ATX/full-size tower build with Thunderbolt and 10g Networking being at the core, + 4x NVME raid card (storage only) and finally with the intention of adding an additional 6900XT later down the line, (DaVinci Resolve colourist here).

Looking at the options, I've whittled them down to either:
  • Asus WS X299 SAGE/10G
  • Gigabyte X299X DESIGNARE 10G
Given the price of X550 10G NIC cards, having one onboard is great value for sure.

Gigabyte seems to be the all in one choice, even including the 4x NVME card, I just prefer the styling of the Asus...

Would love to know people's experiences nonetheless, I feel I have skimmed through and seen mentions of the Asus SAGE 10G having more issues?

Much love, ƒ

I haven't used any of the Gigabyte boards but from what I've seen the Designare 10G has had more problems than the SAGE 10G. Perhaps someone else can chime in but the only issues I've encountered are just minor inconveniences like no internal USB 2 header. The XHC Controller disappearing on the Thunderbolt card with Resizable bar BIOS affects Gigabyte and ASUS.

I believe the Designare 10G issues have been ironed out though? You'll see more information in this thread

EDIT: I just saw you want a 4xNVME card. I don't think the PCIe slots support bifurcation on the SAGE since it uses PLX chips so you'll have to use a NVME card with it built in (like the ones used for the 2019 Mac Pro).