Contribute
Register

WWDC 2023 Announced for June 5-9

They did not even mention the buzz word "AI"!!! Yet the "Mac disposable" philosophy, the impossibility of a significant upgrade (memory cpu HD etc) and still the high price (the highest end Mac Pro with two Pro Display XDR can reach $66.5K) can be negative. The great vantage of the Hackintoshes was that they were addressing exactly these three flaws. I still use 2 Hackintoshes builded in 2008-2009 (one uses BigSur the other Monterey) with significant upgrades. They costed together a little more than $2900

I also own shares of AAPL.

Back in 2008-2009, Apple did sell fully "upgradable" Macs in the form of Mac Pros. But you still went the hackintosh route, so it's not like they lost any sales, at least not to users such as yourself.

Talking about repairability ...

I've long wanted to buy Airpods but always steered clear thinking those tiny batteries were the achilles heel in the design. Limited lifespan for such a high cost device.

Only learned yesterday that Apple will replace the batteries for just $55.

Suddenly the advantages of Airpods Pro don't seem so tenuous at all.

Now all Apple computers have M1/M2 CPU. My question is: If a person builds now a hackintosh how many operating systems after Sonoma will last? Will be Sonoma the last OS that an intel can run? I am very disheartened.

We do not know. Only Apple can tell us that. Usually Apple updates the last three versions of macOS only, so even if Sonoma is the final Intel compatible version, we might expect three more years of updates.

But Apple does its own thing and that is not guaranteed in any way.

If a person builds now a hackintosh how many operating systems after Sonoma will last? Will be Sonoma the last OS that an intel can run? I am very disheartened.
Nothing lasts forever. Even macOS support for Intel. It looks like you've gotten over ten years out of your current hacks. There may possibly be Intel support in mac OS 15 next year. If so, you could easily keep running that for 3 or more years and still be OK in terms of security updates. Some people are still using Snow Leopard from 2009 and connecting to the internet. Wouldn't recommend that but it's possible. Your old Intel Hacks won't stop working just because Intel support is ended.

Nothing lasts forever. Even macOS support for Intel. It looks like you've gotten over ten years out of your current hacks. There may possibly be Intel support in mac OS 15 next year. If so, you could easily keep running that for 3 or more years and still be OK in terms of security updates. Some people are still using Snow Leopard from 2009 and connecting to the internet. Wouldn't recommend that but it's possible. Your old Intel Hacks won't stop working just because Intel support is ended.
good point

Back