Contribute
Register

WWDC 2023 Announced for June 5-9

Windows and Linux are most definitely not options for me. I don't want to use either as my daily driver. I use them for very specific tasks and nothing more. For that, I picked up a ProDesk G3 Mini and an EliteDesk G4 Mini, plus I have my Raspberry Pis.

I don't know how "unattractive" macOS will get, but I can't see it ever getting uglier than Windows. I've BSODed Windows simply by doing Windows updates. I ended up wasting days trying to fix it and ended up doing a clean install. I've gone over a decade without doing a clean install of Mac OS X/macOS. I really don't understand how people manage to use Windows...

The GPU in my Mac Studio does everything I need it to do.

I don't make the mistake of under speccing my systems. My current Mac Studio has 64GB RAM and 2TB SSD. I know I'll have a new Mac way before I outgrow either.

In the 4-5 years with my Asus Z370 hackintosh, I never needed to upgrade the RAM or the primary SSD capacity. The only reason why I swapped out the 1TB Samsung for a 1TB Western Digital was because of the slow boot issue with Samsung NVMe SSDs on macOS.

Why is it risky to invest in a Mac now? Apple's not in any risk of going bankrupt. There are no indications that Apple will be discontinuing Macs or macOS. What risk??? Intel is on much shakier ground. They've even had to cut their dividends because they are doing so poorly. So which is riskier?

Why would Apple go back to Intel or Nvidia??? Intel is struggling to stay relevant and is losing more and more marketshare with each passing day. Apple dropped Nvidia almost a decade ago and hasn't looked back. Why would they go back to them now when they are developing their own SoCs?

At this point, if macOS is your primary OS, it makes no sense at all to invest anything but an Apple Silicon Mac, unless you like to tinker. macOS on Intel is on life-support and it's just a matter of time before Apple pulls the plug. Those who use Windows or Linux as their primary OS, can use whatever hardware they want but don't expect many more versions of macOS for that hardware.

Also like to add any new Intel releases of macOS will certainly miss a lot of new features due to missing AS hardware. It's very likely Apple will optimize for AS hardware now and take advantage of the subsystems. I'd also expect them to utilize security features on AS not present on Intel.

I also use Linux (Debian) on some older machines formerly used as hacks for certain tasks. I mostly use Linux on SBCs like pis and the Jetson Nano. I'm fully over to Apple Silicon as daily. I have yet to offload an old fully upgraded Mac Pro 5,1 and my MacBook Pro 16 2019 I never use.

I also use Linux (Debian) on some older machines formerly used as hacks for certain tasks. I mostly use Linux on SBCs like pis and the Jetson Nano. I'm fully over to Apple Silicon as daily. I have yet to offload an old fully upgraded Mac Pro 5,1 and my MacBook Pro 16 2019 I never use.

Same here. I have a Pi running 24/7 running Docker/Portainer with Pi-Hole and Xteve. I have another Pi running as a VPN router. Of course, they are running Linux, but I just can't see myself using Linux as a daily driver.

My EliteDesk G4 Mini runs Batocera which is also Linux based emulation distro. I have Windows and macOS installed on it too but it's almost always booted in to Batocera. Again, Linux for the very specific task of emulation.

It's pointless to compare Windows and Mac in this manner. Every system has it's pros and cons. Every user has it's own needs and requirements. I am using Windows and Mac for more than 15 years and honestly I don't have problems at all using any as a daily driver. I like to game on my PC, something that Mac is terrible for. On the other hand I prefer Mac to do my music projects in Logic Pro. Only thing I am sure is I cannot go with Win only or Mac only. That's the beauty of the custom PC/Hacks. If things go bad I will just buy Mac Mini/Studio and a custom gaming PC and will call it a day. Cheers!

It's pointless to compare Windows and Mac in this manner. Every system has it's pros and cons. Every user has it's own needs and requirements. I am using Windows and Mac for more than 15 years and honestly I don't have problems at all using any as a daily driver. I like to game on my PC, something that Mac is terrible for. On the other hand I prefer Mac to do my music projects in Logic Pro. Only thing I am sure is I cannot go with Win only or Mac only. That's the beauty of the custom PC/Hacks. If things go bad I will just buy Mac Mini/Studio and a custom gaming PC and will call it a day. Cheers!

As I said, those who are willing to use Windows or Linux as their daily driver can use whatever hardware they like.

Those who want to use macOS will have to buy Macs soon because the hackintosh option will be gone.

I like this excerpt from MacRumor's article on Tim Cook's interview with GQ (highlights added by me):

... Baron then raised the fact that in 2015 Cook told The New Yorker that he was highly skeptical of Apple manufacturing smart glasses, similar to Google Glass, as an early AR product. At the time, Cook said:

We always thought that glasses were not a smart move, from a point of view that people would not really want to wear them. They were intrusive, instead of pushing technology to the background, as we've always believed. We always thought it would flop, and, you know, so far it has.

Now, Cook admitted that he is willing to say that he was wrong:

My thinking always evolves. Steve taught me well: never to get married to your convictions of yesterday. To always, if presented with something new that says you were wrong, admit it and go forward instead of continuing to hunker down and say why you're right.

This is from MacRumors. Looks like the price will be more Mac Pro like, mainly meant for Professionals with a big budget and not for ordinary consumers that use iPads, MacBooks and Macs to consume content.
The device will also offer tools for artists, designers, and engineers, enabling drawing and image editing in 3D space. There will also be applications for editing virtual reality video using hand gestures. As a result, it is expected to appeal to businesses and design companies more than ordinary consumers.

With Apple we can play with 3D app, but not for 3D professionals, 90% of renderings / software are not supported. Today it is impossible to be a graphic designer and not work with 3D. I just built a 13th generation hack but I'm converting to Windows, I had no choice, I TRIED EVERYTHING TO CONTINUE WITH MAC...
Either Apple manages to render the GPU or it goes back to Nvidia or it doesn't make sense to continue with Mac Pro.

With Apple we can play with 3D app, but not for 3D professionals, 90% of renderings / software are not supported. Today it is impossible to be a graphic designer and not work with 3D. I just built a 13th generation hack but I'm converting to Windows, I had no choice, I TRIED EVERYTHING TO CONTINUE WITH MAC...
Either Apple manages to render the GPU or it goes back to Nvidia or it doesn't make sense to continue with Mac Pro.
Interesting point, though the ‘hello’ screensaver was created with 3D writing, is it a hint at what Apple is about to throw at the pros with there ski goggles.

I do just fine rendering in Twin Motion and Unreal while only currently working under rosetta they still work as well on M2 Max as they do on my 9900k with 6900xt. If they were native ARM they would likely smash the intel variant. Maya is also Mac (arm & intel) compatible. There are lots of Mac Compatible 3D solutions. In addition to Mac compatible Autodesk has lots of softwares that are web based so they do not care if you are windows, or Mac, or Linux.

Back