Contribute
Register

WWDC 2023 Announced for June 5-9

Is it possible to create a hackintosh with Intel (or other cpu, your call) if Apple stops supporting Intel? If the answer is negative is it worth to build a (even top of the line) Hackintosh?

Yes, you can. However you will obviously only be able to run an OS which supports Intel. That list goes as far as Ventura. So building "top of the line" PC right now - just for macOS - will get keen support from the community as long as it can. But spending the money is a gamble when you consider the game-changer that the Apple Studio is.

Also don't forget Apple's last Intel chipset usage was 400-series, so any newer hardware is at a disadvantage straight away, despite the heroic work done by builders making later chipsets - and AMD - work.

So far no-one can guarantee anything until Apple declares their roadmap.

Mac Pro will be discounted only when they have a good answer to a high end Intel/AMD workstations. As for the moment they don't. Good for us we can still build hacks. My prediction is 3 more years for Intel support.

Mac Pro will be discounted only when they have a good answer to a high end Intel/AMD workstations. As for the moment they don't. Good for us we can still build hacks. My prediction is 3 more years for Intel support.

If you really want a Mac Pro, you can find lots of them on eBay at a fraction of their original price.

Personally, I'd never waste the money on one knowing that support is ending soon.

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 2.49.54 PM.png

And the M2 mini out benches it by some margin. I’m waiting for cases to start appearing!.

Is it possible to create a hackintosh with Intel (or other cpu, your call) if Apple stops supporting Intel? If the answer is negative is it worth to build a (even top of the line) Hackintosh?
Is it worth buying a Mac three times more expensive than a hackintosh ? So You get an answer. Hackintosh is ready to run Windows or Linux, too (not emulate like on origin silicon but native). Buying an original Mac now is already a big risk; for example, maybe you will need more memory/storage for a few years so must buy a new computer. Remember that any PC parts are always only at fraction the cost of the Mac.

Is it worth buying a Mac three times more expensive than a hackintosh ? So You get an answer. Hackintosh is ready to run Windows or Linux, too (not emulate like on origin silicon but native). Buying an original Mac now is already a big risk; for example, maybe you will need more memory/storage for a few years so must buy a new computer. Remember that any PC parts are always only at fraction the cost of the Mac.

It won't be long before your PC parts won't be able run macOS anymore. So, you either buy a machine to run Windows/Linux or macOS/Linux.

It won't be long before your PC parts won't be able run macOS anymore. So, you either buy a machine to run Windows/Linux or macOS/Linux.
I have five PC computers with macOS . Different macOS ; Sierra, Catalina , Big Sur and Monterey. All works very well. I don't have time to do an update to Ventura , transfer apps, etc. Besides, it won't do me much good. So remember that even professional users do not change the OS every year...What's more, they prefer to have even an older proven OS and a set of applications that run on it . You can edit video/graphics/audio on this same machine/OS/apps for many many years no need to change. So, let's not make the problem that in a few years Intel will not be supported . Now my all machines can run three OS native but silicon Apple only one :mrgreen: Then origin Mac users have something to worry about.

I have five PC computers with macOS . Different macOS ; Sierra, Catalina , Big Sur and Monterey. All works very well. I don't have time to do an update to Ventura , transfer apps, etc. Besides, it won't do me much good. So remember that even professional users do not change the OS every year...What's more, they prefer to have even an older proven OS and a set of applications that run on it . You can edit video/graphics/audio on this same machine/OS/apps for many many years no need to change. So, let's not make the problem that in a few years Intel will not be supported . Now my all machines can run three OS native but silicon Apple only one
:mrgreen:
Then origin Mac users have something to worry about.

How will you install Apple Silicon only versions of macOS on your PCs?

If you are okay with staying stuck on one version of OS with no hope of ever updating, that's fine. There are still Commodore 64s that "work"... Not sure how many people use them as their daily drivers...

How will you install Apple Silicon only versions of macOS on your PCs?

If you are okay with staying stuck on one version of OS with no hope of ever updating, that's fine. There are still Commodore 64s that "work"... Not sure how many people use them as their daily drivers...
Now macOS on PC works successfully and probably no change for a few years. But we always have an alternative - we can use Windows or Linux on the same machine. That's why investing in a hackintosh is always worthwhile. We dont know whether during that time macOS will be as attractive OS as it is today. Maybe You will need very powerfull new gen graphics like Radeon 7.../Nvidia4.... Maybe You need more memory/SSD. Go to the Apple Store and buy a new mac? Because You need more memory? Or simple change OS and Your computer will be ready for new hardware upgrade. Investing in a new Mac now seems very risky. Apple might as well go back to Intel or Nvidia in a while...Or left workstation market...

Now macOS on PC works successfully and probably no change for a few years. But we always have an alternative - we can use Windows or Linux on the same machine. That's why investing in a hackintosh is always worthwhile. We dont know whether during that time macOS will be as attractive OS as it is today. Maybe You will need very powerfull new gen graphics like Radeon 7.../Nvidia4.... Maybe You need more memory/SSD. Go to the Apple Store and buy a new mac? Because You need more memory? Or simple change OS and Your computer will be ready for new hardware upgrade. Investing in a new Mac now seems very risky. Apple might as well go back to Intel or Nvidia in a while...Or left workstation market...

Windows and Linux are most definitely not options for me. I don't want to use either as my daily driver. I use them for very specific tasks and nothing more. For that, I picked up a ProDesk G3 Mini and an EliteDesk G4 Mini, plus I have my Raspberry Pis.

I don't know how "unattractive" macOS will get, but I can't see it ever getting uglier than Windows. I've BSODed Windows simply by doing Windows updates. I ended up wasting days trying to fix it and ended up doing a clean install. I've gone over a decade without doing a clean install of Mac OS X/macOS. I really don't understand how people manage to use Windows...

The GPU in my Mac Studio does everything I need it to do.

I don't make the mistake of under speccing my systems. My current Mac Studio has 64GB RAM and 2TB SSD. I know I'll have a new Mac way before I outgrow either.

In the 4-5 years with my Asus Z370 hackintosh, I never needed to upgrade the RAM or the primary SSD capacity. The only reason why I swapped out the 1TB Samsung for a 1TB Western Digital was because of the slow boot issue with Samsung NVMe SSDs on macOS.

Why is it risky to invest in a Mac now? Apple's not in any risk of going bankrupt. There are no indications that Apple will be discontinuing Macs or macOS. What risk??? Intel is on much shakier ground. They've even had to cut their dividends because they are doing so poorly. So which is riskier?

Why would Apple go back to Intel or Nvidia??? Intel is struggling to stay relevant and is losing more and more marketshare with each passing day. Apple dropped Nvidia almost a decade ago and hasn't looked back. Why would they go back to them now when they are developing their own SoCs?

At this point, if macOS is your primary OS, it makes no sense at all to invest anything but an Apple Silicon Mac, unless you want to tinker. macOS on Intel is on life-support and it's just a matter of time before Apple pulls the plug. Those who use Windows or Linux as their primary OS, can use whatever hardware they want but don't expect many more versions of macOS for that hardware.

Last edited:
Back