Contribute
Register

Workstation with Xeon and ECC RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, NVMe works. I boot from a Samsung 960 EVO 500GB. It took me a while to figure it out using RehabMan's NVMe spoof method but after I did, worked perfectly.

The only other little quirk was with the BIOS. The board came with the original F1 BIOS version. The cool thing about this one was that it had working NVRAM. The downsides were 1) it kept adding boot devices to the startup list every time the system rebooted and 2) when I put the system to sleep, it would sleep...then come back on for a minute, then go to sleep properly.

Not a huge deal but a little annoying. When I updated to the F21 BIOS, the boot entry problems and the sleep problems were gone, but NVRAM no longer worked (this is the case with most Gigabyte 100 series boards I believe). I realized NVRAM had broken when the Nvidia web drivers didn't load. No biggie, I just ran the Clover installer and installed the Emu64 drivers to get "software" NVRAM. No difference in how the system runs so I'd rather have the issues fixed. After upgrading from F1 to anything higher, you can't downgrade again so make sure you want to first.

Crayonchin, I unfortunately updated my bios to F21 and now my motherboard will not boot up at all. It was working perfectly and then the update now it shows the apple logo for about 5 second then reboots. I don't even get any errors on screen or log. I've tried ever trick I know as well as changing the bios setting and still no go. I even tried booting linux and it hangs before getting to the login display. Is there anything special you set or changed in your bios going from F1 to F21? I am starting to think this board is messed up somehow. I even stepped down to F20 and no luck there. Any ideas?

Crayonchin, I unfortunately updated my bios to F21 and now my motherboard will not boot up at all. It was working perfectly and then the update now it shows the apple logo for about 5 second then reboots. I don't even get any errors on screen or log. I've tried ever trick I know as well as changing the bios setting and still no go. I even tried booting linux and it hangs before getting to the login display. Is there anything special you set or changed in your bios going from F1 to F21? I am starting to think this board is messed up somehow. I even stepped down to F20 and no luck there. Any ideas?

Sorry to hear about your woes. No, I didn't change anything in the BIOS when I upgraded and I did not have any problems booting afterwards. The only problem I had was the one I mentioned earlier with the Nvidia web drivers. You can try the same update procedure and BIOS settings I used:

1) Update to F21 again and reboot
2) Load optimized defaults, save and reboot
3) Make these changes only (I don't have the computer here so I'm going by memory)
a. Disable serial and parallel ports
b. Disable VT-d
c. Enable XHCI Hand off
d. Disable CS module and change boot mode to UEFI
e. Select your macOS disk as the boot device
f. Save and reboot

I'm pretty sure that's all I did when I updated the BIOS. If that doesn't work, try making a new installation USB key with Unibeast using the latest Sierra version and see if it boots from that. Good luck!

Th
Sorry to hear about your woes. No, I didn't change anything in the BIOS when I upgraded and I did not have any problems booting afterwards. The only problem I had was the one I mentioned earlier with the Nvidia web drivers. You can try the same update procedure and BIOS settings I used:

3) Make these changes only (I don't have the computer here so I'm going by memory)
b. Disable VT-d
c. Enable XHCI Hand off
f. Save and reboot

I'm pretty sure that's all I did when I updated the BIOS. If that doesn't work, try making a new installation USB key with Unibeast using the latest Sierra version and see if it boots from that. Good luck!

b. Disable VT-d
c. Enable XHCI Hand off
f. Save and reboot

I appreciate the response! I tried all your suggestions plus tried a bunch of new ones and still not working. I am going to RMA the board and hopefully they will send me a new one with the F1 bios.

I got a new Gigabyte X150M-PRO motherboard to replace the defective one and I am leaving the bios at F1. It works perfect! It sleeps/wakes as expected, all the USB ports working correctly plus using a nvme m.2 is pretty sweet as well!

I now upgraded to High Sierra Beta 4 and I am happy to say everything still working perfectly!

Reporting, ASUS P10S-M WS (Intel C236) works just fine with the latest Clover and 10.12.6, almost out of the box!

Important settings:
1) UEFI only boot mode (even didn't try in legacy...)
2) VT-d disabled, XHCI Hand-off enabled, CFG lock DISABLED!
3) I have the only PCI-E Geforce 760gtx graphics card, so such configuration works with iMac 14.2 SMBIOS and "Inject nvidia" option enabled in config.plist!

So, result:
CPU Xeon E3 1240 v6 (Kaby Lake) works as "Core i7 3700 MHz"
RAM 64GB ECC works as is in ECC mode, there is nothing to do
Dual I210 ethernet works natively, nothing to do
Nvidia graphics card works with native OSX drivers, never used Web drivers...

The only trick was with ALC1150. I made
1) SSDT injection by toleda (ssdt_hdef-1-100-hdas)
2) Placed AppleALC & Lilu kexts by vit9696 to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12 directory
3) Placed the latest CodecCommander by RehabMan to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12 directory to avoid the bug of non-working sound after Windows 10 rebooted. Nevertheless, I can not handle with the bug of non-working sound after sleep/awake, but my PC never sleeps, so its ok for me.

And ssdtPRGen.sh used to patch CPU turbo speed.

That's everything! No one native Sierra's content was corrupted or changed...

UPDATE: High Sierra important modifications (!)
1) SMBIOS changed to "Mac Pro 5,1", otherwise it freezes in unpredictable manner (look like ECC stuff)
2) USBInjectAll.kext added to get up USB ports

UPDATE: High Sierra & the latest FakeSMC pack from RehabMan
With SMBIOS "Mac Pro 5,1" noticed performance issues when CPU temp reaches 72 C degrees: then the system reduces the voltage and decreases the performance. And most likely incorrectly shows the temperature of the processor. So yesterday i figured out the new release of RehabMan's FakeSMC pack and:
1) Set up new release of FakeSMC pack
2) Moved back to system definitions "iMac 18,3" (Kaby Lake)
3) Patched again by ssdtPRGen.sh under new SMBIOS
4) Changed in BIOS cooler settings to "High performance mode"
And now im testing the whole system again under high load for one night non-stop (CPU load 90> percent).
It still working fine without performance issues and any freezes! Current CPU temp 72-73 C degrees

Last edited:
Reporting, ASUS P10S-M WS (Intel C236) works just fine with the latest Clover and 10.12.6, almost out of the box!

Important settings:
1) UEFI only boot mode (even didn't try in legacy...)
2) VT-d disabled, XHCI Hand-off enabled, CFG lock DISABLED!
3) I have the only PCI-E Geforce 760gtx graphics card, so such configuration works with iMac 14.2 SMBIOS and "Inject nvidia" option enabled in config.plist!

So, result:
CPU Xeon E3 1240 v6 (Kaby Lake) works as "Core i7 3700 MHz"
RAM 64GB ECC works as is in ECC mode, there is nothing to do
Dual I210 ethernet works natively, nothing to do
Nvidia graphics card works with native OSX drivers, never used Web drivers...

The only trick was with ALC1150. I made
1) SSDT injection by toleda (ssdt_hdef-1-100-hdas)
2) Placed AppleALC & Lilu kexts by vit9696 to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12 directory
3) Placed the latest CodecCommander by RehabMan to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12 directory to avoid the bug of non-working sound after Windows 10 rebooted. Nevertheless, I can not handle with the bug of non-working sound after sleep/awake, but my PC never sleeps, so its ok for me.

And ssdtPRGen.sh used to patch CPU turbo speed.

That's everything! No one native Sierra's content was corrupted or changed...

UPDATE: High Sierra important modifications (!)
1) SMBIOS changed to "Mac Pro 5,1", otherwise it freezes in unpredictable manner (look like ECC stuff)
2) USBInjectAll.kext added to get up USB ports

Could you please attach your config.plist file here?
I have the same MB along with Intel Xeon E3-1275 v5 with onboard graphic.
Wondering if I can use the onboard graphic without adding discrete one.

Attached.
What I have now:
/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-UIAC.aml
/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ssdt.aml
/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/AirportBrcmFixup.kext
/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/Lilu.kext
/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/AppleALC.kext
/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/CodecCommander.kext
/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/FakeSMC.kext
/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/USBInjectAll.kext

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.4 KB · Views: 235
Ok and look up at the new update with the latest FakeSMC, it looks good for now!

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.3 KB · Views: 135
Would this out-perform a 7700K setup for FCPX rendering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back