Contribute
Register

Workstation for video: air or water cooled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
WS X299 SAGE/10G
CPU
i9-7960X
Graphics
Radeon VII
Dear members of the forum,
I use my computer exclusively for color grading, and as I'm planing to upgrade my system, I'm doing a little research on cooling both CPU and GPU. I know is a recurrent topic but I'd like to focus the question on video workstations.
To be more specific I'm aiming to a i9-7980XE or i9-9980XE (no OC) and dual Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB.

So my question is addressed basically to video editors or colorists or whoever uses his/her computer for long periods under heavy load:
Did you get better cooling performance using AIO water cooling in CPU and/or GPU?
or did you try AIO water cooling and got back to air cooling for some reason?

I've seen many test, unboxing, benchmarks, videos and read many posts in this forum about water vs air, but not sure if they are scenarios where intensive work during long periods. Reviewers' tests seems to review temperatures in a short period of time, not after 8+ hours of rendering and intense work, this guy explains how these tests may be wrong.

My case: I had some sudden reboots because using DaVinci my TitanX (air cooled) got over 95ºC, specially on summer.

Thanks in advance for your help and for this community.

Dear members of the forum,
I use my computer exclusively for color grading, and as I'm planing to upgrade my system, I'm doing a little research on cooling both CPU and GPU. I know is a recurrent topic but I'd like to focus the question on video workstations.
To be more specific I'm aiming to a i9-7980XE or i9-9980XE (no OC) and dual Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB.

So my question is addressed basically to video editors or colorists or whoever uses his/her computer for long periods under heavy load:
Did you get better cooling performance using AIO water cooling in CPU and/or GPU?
or did you try AIO water cooling and got back to air cooling for some reason?

I've seen many test, unboxing, benchmarks, videos and read many posts in this forum about water vs air, but not sure if they are scenarios where intensive work during long periods. Reviewers' tests seems to review temperatures in a short period of time, not after 8+ hours of rendering and intense work, this guy explains how these tests may be wrong.

My case: I had some sudden reboots because using DaVinci my TitanX (air cooled) got over 95ºC, specially on summer.

Thanks in advance for your help and for this community.

For your CPU, for air cooling, you'd want a pretty hefty cooler, like the Noctua NH-D15, or for an AIO, you might want a 360mm like the Kraken Z73 or Corsair H150i.

If your GPUs are right one on top of another, you could also consider a custom loop, and get a case like the Phanteks Enthoo Luxe 2, and use the biggest, thickest radiators you can (like XE series by EKWB) and water cool your CPU and GPUs with water blocks (you'll probably be able to find ones which either EKWB, Bitspower or Alphacool makes that fits your cards, and I'd recommend getting a CPU block from EKWB or Corsair).

It really boils down (no pun intended) to preference.

I would really recommend watching videos from Linus Tech Tips and JayzTwoCents for stuff about water cooling vs air cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back