Contribute
Register

WORKING Mavericks Desktop GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD INCLUDING iMessage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte
CPU
I5 3570k
Graphics
EVGA GTX 660
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Guys just wanted to share with you my Mavericks Install worked perfectly for me and here is how

I'm running a i5 3570k intel Ivy bridge processor
8GB ram
EVGA GTX660 2GB NVidia Graphics card
seagate 1Tb 7200rpm
GA-z68XP-UD3-iSSD

I am using HDMI to DVI for my monitor I have heard that VGA WILL NOT WORK but i have not tried it would highly recommend using DVI/HDMI methods of connecting your monitor.

From working Mac purchase Mavericks from the App store and I followed the Unibeast Method

http://www.tonymacx86.com/374-unibeast-install-os-x-mavericks-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

I found using -x -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes (in the new unibeast is GraphicsEnabler=No is default in the newer unibeast and on the z68 gigabyte mother boards it needs to be yes) worked best for me

No need for any enablers just select the unibeast from boot up with the GTX 660 EVGA edition graphics card it works out of the box!

Be prepare to wait it will hang for a very long time at the last part before loading into the installer and when the screen goes grey/white it will hang for another minute or two!

since updating my motherboards UEFI to the latest version and of course the GTX660 no hangs loading the installer works beautifully

Run through the install as normal (described in the unibeast method) using the unibeast to boot from UEFI and then selecting the hard drive after that to load Mavericks.

after first reboot again use option GraphicsEnabler=Yes

I used multi-beast with the attached options

when i rebooted i got the Boot0 Error so i rebooted again into the installed and followed the Tonymac official boot0 error guide.

Now i used my Mountain Lion unibeast as it loads faster than the Mavericks one, but you can use either, link is below and this should really only apply to 4k HDD's

http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html

You can then remove the Unibeast USB and boot normally.

After booting back up everything works (even sound) the only thing that doesn't work is iMessage but i have the fix for that too!

All Credit to this chap for working this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QMUe7DYlN0

Download the attachment and copy into your mavericks/extras/modules folder reboot and then sign into iMessage as normal and your done.

this install was far easier than ML post your comments below let me know if this works for you too!

Check out this Playlist of Video's a good friend of mine Recorded this for his youtube channel you may recognise some of the kit used it in !!(since it is mine!!)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL04qpYzjYmH3I2t5YqYYpljT9Tosp4UmZ

Attachments

• My Boot Load config.mb
    5.8 KB · Views: 799
I have the same motherboard as you and I didn't have to go through any of those steps. Unibeast booted fine with no flags.

I could not upgrade from Mountain Lion (system would not boot), had to reformat and do a clean install.

iMessage did not work at first. I installed FileNVRAM 1.1.2 (http://public.xzenue.com/downloads/) into /Extra/modules and that sorted it.

Other than that, it was smooth sailing.

Maybe the difference is the CPU I'm using an ivybridge with HD4000k?

Either way once install complete all worked fine have to say I'm impressed with Mavericks works great far better than ML on my rig can't wait for me GTX 660 to arrive!

YOU ARE A LEGEND!! ahhh... I have spent so many days trying to get Mavericks onto my system. The last hurdle being Multibeast.. no combinations would work, but your attached file did. well.. I still had to go into into the chameleon.boot.plist and change GraphicsMode to 1200 (not 1080), and take the space out of "Graphics Mode" and also added PCIRootUID=1 in there.. but then, Magic :)

UPDATE!!

Well since this post I have received my shiny new EVGA GTX 660 2 GB Graphics card (oooooohhhhh ahhhhhhhh)

and I spent a whole day wonder WTF when my working mavericks wouldn't boot hair pulling time!!!!!

I think it was after a day at work and I was shattered my addled brain suddenly thought check the bios again genius!!!

I left internal graphics on, as soon as it was disable Mavericks booted no problem.

Additionally I though I would try a clean install just to see what happens :>

Unibeast booted fine no flags needed and actually booted faster than normal ( thought was a fluke so did it again a few times same result nice and quick into the installer) BUT when you click the next button on the installer language select there is a slight delay before it goes on to the next step.

install worked flawlessly both as time machine restore and as a clean install I had no issues, after the first reboot no flags were needed it just booted cleanly from the unibeast. and installed the multibeast as normally I only really need the 889 audio (without dsdt as I am using UEFI on my GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD (I have to say the 20gb msata supplied with when you buy this board is woefully small why bother?)

on rebooting I had the boot0 error which as I said above I was expecting im using a Seagate barracuda HDD so they have 4k problem but easy fixed when you have had practice only takes a couple of minutes and that's it no messing no tweaking every thing just works!

I bought Batman Arkham city and wacked the graphics up to full and it plays flawless good game if anyone is interested !!

Thank you Tonymacx86 the tools and knowledge I have picked up from here gave me the confidence know how I needed to make my Hack work and it does brillently, may even build another faster one soon (waiting for gigabyte to launch some decent thunderbolt 2 motherboards first!)

UPDATE!!
Well since this post I have received my shiny new EVGA GTX 660 2 GB Graphics card (oooooohhhhh ahhhhhhhh)
install worked flawlessly both as time machine restore and as a clean install I had no issues, after the first reboot no flags were needed it just booted cleanly from the unibeast. and installed the multibeast as normally I only really need the 889 audio (without dsdt as I am using UEFI on my GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD (I have to say the 20gb msata supplied with when you buy this board is woefully small why bother?)
Thank you Tonymacx86 the tools and knowledge I have picked up from here gave me the confidence know how I needed to make my Hack work and it does brillently, may even build another faster one soon (waiting for gigabyte to launch some decent thunderbolt 2 motherboards first!)

Congrats. I also just got the EVGA 660. Pretty great for the price. Works fine except for the power management bug in Mavericks.

I have the same board too, but I installed a 64gb msata instead and use it for the system drive. It's worked well for nearly 2 years and still going strong, but it looks like the bios has started giving people boot loop trouble in the newegg reviews: GA-Z68XP-UD3 Newegg Link

Kind of worries me. I feel like I should start planning on a replacement. I've always used gigabyte (my first hackintosh was an old unsupported amd board with the nvidia chipset), but a lot of their stuff is getting boot loops and I'm not so sure now.

Hi, I have the GA-Z68XP-UD3 board too and my experience of installing Maverics is much the same. However I am having problems with USB 3.

Initially using Unibeast 3.0.1 and the original MultiBeast 6.0. The install like heddhunter needed no boot flags. I then used Multibeast to install Chimera and the usual Kexts for FakeSMC, 3rd Party SATA, Audio (Without DSDT), Lan and USB 3 and also Sandy Bridge Core i5 / i7 Overclocked SSDT and various boot options.

The first boot failed, a CPU fault. The SSDT was was at fault so I copied the SSDT from my Mountain Lion Disk to replace it and rebooted. Then everything worked even Sleep no re-plugging needed, or so I thought. Sometime later I found iMessage does not work. So I recovered FileNVRAM.dylib from my Mountain Lion Disk fixed that.

A few days later, I realized I had not installed a variety of system Kexts particularly the AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Resets. So I tried to start MultiBeast but hit the '“MultiBeast.app” can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash.' problem. Anyway through a terminal workaround I started it then and installed the AppleRTC Patch and the Other Kexts you had initially installed.

Even more days later, MultiBeast 6.0.1 was released and for Various reasons I ran it and re-installed among other things Zenith432's USB 3 driver, which was an updated version. This was a mistake. Trying to plug a new USB device into the system once running would cause it to Freeze. Only USB devices that had been inserted before boot could be used.

So to cut a long and frustrating story short I re-installed the original GenericUSBXHCI kext, version 1.2.6 dated 22nd October 2013. This fixes the new USB device problem, However it has a problem I had not previously found. The USB device re-plugging problem.

The USB device re-plugging problem is where a USB device is plugged in, then ejected and then re-plugged in. This causes the system to freeze.

My question is, 'Is it just me?'.

Can you see if you have this problem please.

Hi, I have the GA-Z68XP-UD3 board too and my experience of installing Maverics is much the same. However I am having problems with USB 3.

Initially using Unibeast 3.0.1 and the original MultiBeast 6.0. The install like heddhunter needed no boot flags. I then used Multibeast to install Chimera and the usual Kexts for FakeSMC, 3rd Party SATA, Audio (Without DSDT), Lan and USB 3 and also Sandy Bridge Core i5 / i7 Overclocked SSDT and various boot options.

The first boot failed, a CPU fault. The SSDT was was at fault so I copied the SSDT from my Mountain Lion Disk to replace it and rebooted. Then everything worked even Sleep no re-plugging needed, or so I thought. Sometime later I found iMessage does not work. So I recovered FileNVRAM.dylib from my Mountain Lion Disk fixed that.

A few days later, I realized I had not installed a variety of system Kexts particularly the AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Resets. So I tried to start MultiBeast but hit the '“MultiBeast.app” can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash.' problem. Anyway through a terminal workaround I started it then and installed the AppleRTC Patch and the Other Kexts you had initially installed.

Even more days later, MultiBeast 6.0.1 was released and for Various reasons I ran it and re-installed among other things Zenith432's USB 3 driver, which was an updated version. This was a mistake. Trying to plug a new USB device into the system once running would cause it to Freeze. Only USB devices that had been inserted before boot could be used.

So to cut a long and frustrating story short I re-installed the original GenericUSBXHCI kext, version 1.2.6 dated 22nd October 2013. This fixes the new USB device problem, However it has a problem I had not previously found. The USB device re-plugging problem.

The USB device re-plugging problem is where a USB device is plugged in, then ejected and then re-plugged in. This causes the system to freeze.

My question is, 'Is it just me?'.

Can you see if you have this problem please.

With my Board I'm using the latest UEFI update from gigabyte and didn't have any of those issues everything worked out of the box?

as soon as I ran multibeast with the zenith USB 3.0 (see the attachment from my original post) it all worked great USB3.0, sleep and wake modes I even bought a USB Bluetooth module (4.0 version http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009IQB3US/?tag=tonymacx86-21 link is for reference only model is B8T065 Belkin Bluetooth module ) which not only seems to be natively supported but even wakes the Hack from sleep mode with the magic mouse !!

I would Check your Bios/UEFI version(and if you still using bios I would highly recommend updating to UEFI makes building your make so much handier!) Load the defaults then make sure you enable ACHI, disable and virtualisation (intel Vtr or what ever its called) and if your using the 660 graphics card disable on board graphics and of course make sure HPET is set to enabled.

I didn't have to make any other changes apart from iMessage which I posted a method for that too ! I found mavericks was much more simple than Mountain Lthe only thing I needed to do in terminal was the Boot 0 error and only because I'm using Seagate barracuda drives with 4k sectors.

I think I have found part of the problem, Migration Assistant. It copies a lot of different things including kexts from /S/L/E.

I have cleaned up /S/L/E by a time consuming comparison of a New install of Maverics and my existing system.

In any case I have reapplied MultiBeast using your saved settings. This means I am now using GenericUSBXHCI 1.2.7 rather than 1.2.6 and USB is working and devices are recognised and can be attached after booting.

However I still have a problem with re-plugging in USB devices into the same slot they were originally in when they were ejected. This will still cause a freeze.

I am using UEFI bios for this board and was previously running Mountain Lion. As part of attempting to fix this problem I upgraded bios for U1G to U1J but but that had no effect. This settings I use in UEFI bios are much as you describe, although Intel Virtualization is enabled. I use Parallels and I need it for that. It certainly caused no problem under 10.8.5 which was solid as a rock.

I am guessing you don't have this re-plugging issue, can you please confirm that.

I think I have found part of the problem, Migration Assistant. It copies a lot of different things including kexts from /S/L/E.

I have cleaned up /S/L/E by a time consuming comparison of a New install of Maverics and my existing system.

In any case I have reapplied MultiBeast using your saved settings. This means I am now using GenericUSBXHCI 1.2.7 rather than 1.2.6 and USB is working and devices are recognised and can be attached after booting.

However I still have a problem with re-plugging in USB devices into the same slot they were originally in when they were ejected. This will still cause a freeze.

I am using UEFI bios for this board and was previously running Mountain Lion. As part of attempting to fix this problem I upgraded bios for U1G to U1J but but that had no effect. This settings I use in UEFI bios are much as you describe, although Intel Virtualization is enabled. I use Parallels and I need it for that. It certainly caused no problem under 10.8.5 which was solid as a rock.

I am guessing you don't have this re-plugging issue, can you please confirm that.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you Have got to disable the virtualisation for stability? I cant remember where though sorry, I will test the re-plugging USB drives but from memory I'm pretty sure that I have already done this and works fine but just for completeness I will test.

Have you tried booting with virtualisation disabled (just to test) ? do you have a spare HDD to install clean (again just to test) if your board is the same I cant understand why your having the problems unless it is just the Virtualisation that's causing the issues.

I know with my rig everything is working USB 2.0 & 3.0, Open CL, hardware acceleration, sleep/wake and display sleep/wake the Bluetooth magic mouse will even wake the Hack from sleep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back