Contribute
Register

Working D-Link wireless card suddenly makes the system unable to boot. (ML10.8.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H/ZenBook UX303LA
CPU
i5 3570K/i5-5200U
Graphics
GTX770/HD5500
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello everyone!

I've had my hackintosh running for about one and a half year now without any problems at all, but today my build stopped booting all together. Before I go any further on, here is my specifications:

ASUS P5Q motherboard, DSDT-free (flashed a custom BIOS on it some time ago for proper hackintosh compatibility. I cannot remember where I found it, but apparently it works superbly)
nVidia GeForce 260GTX.
4GB of 800Mhz Corsair (DDR2).
Intel Quad 2 Core Q9550
Mountain Lion 10.8.2
And the problem here, a D-Link DWA-547.

Before you ask if the D-Link card is supported: It is. It runs natively through IO80211Family.kext/(AirPortAtheros40.kext inside it). I didn't really need to do any modifications to it to get it working.

Now here is the problem. A few days ago I couldn't boot Mountain Lion 10.8.2, I tried -v of course to see if there was any explanation to the problem. It suddenly stops after /drv/ HypIoctls.c779 which seems to be related to Parallels. After a few restarts however it suddenly jumped straight into ML. I shrugged, continued on and the next day I had the same problem. Once again I managed to get into ML after several restarts. I used MultiBeast and reinstalled all my kexts immediately as the problem might lay there. After rebooting it booted straight into ML so I assumed it was ok. The next day however it refused start at all.

I tried finding the problem, using many different boot flags like -x (which doesn't help at all. Same problem), -F, -f, PCIRootUID=0, PCIRootUID=1, different busratios, cpus=1, npci=0x2000 and also 0x3000. Nothing made any difference. It stops at the same part every time.

At this point I was ready to reinstall the entire OS as I was given no form of error. However when using my newly created and completely fresh USB it would not boot the installer either! Even the installer with different forms of bootflags above did not help one bit. It stopped, no explaination.

It did however, give me a certain pinpoint as it stopped at "ATHR: unknown locale 30" with some errors in the network card before it. I noted the ATHR and of course directly turned the computer off, removed the DWA-547 and presto, it booted without issues. I inserted the card again after cleaning the connectors on the card correctly. Same issue, not booting. I removed it, and it worked again with no issues. Inserted it again in another PCI slot, and same issue. Not working.

It's odd, because I've never experienced any problems with the network card whatsoever. I have not installed any form of new software as I checked that the second time being able to boot into the system without the card inserted. I went into single user mode while the card was inserted, added my device string properly (168c,29) in the AirPortAtheros40.kext Info.plist and tried rebooting. Same problem. I tried renaming the AirPortAtheros40.kext to AirPortAtheros.old so it wouldn't be booted. Now it won't display the ATHR problem, but still it won't boot!

And so here I am. I have absolutely no idea where to go now. I don't want to buy a new network card and even if I did, what if that's not the problem! Windows didn't notice anything problematic in the card, device manager said it was perfectly fine and it was certainly not corrupted. What if the PCI slot or something is busted (highly unlikely when everything works perfectly fine in Windows and Linux). The next step I am prepared to take is to reinstall ML without the card inserted. I doubt it will fix anything though when even the USB installer fails at booting properly.

I just want to mention lastly that after waiting for sometime in the hanged state it does somehow suddenly say "Resetting IOCatalogue" which I found rather odd. It stops at that point. Most of the hits I got on Google when searching for it was problems in OS X distros which I certainly am not using, it is a completely DSDT-free vanilla build with UniBeast/MultiBeast kexts and nothing else.

If anyone have any form of help or suggestions on fixing this I would be extremely grateful. I'll give you a hug if needed.

Thank you.

Quick update! I installed OS X ML clean on a completely different HDD with no kexts installed at all. Works without the card, does not work with the card.

Edit of an edit:
Hello person from the future who is bound to search for this and see a thread with zero replies and scream in pain. I found the problem. It was not network card related at all actually, all I had to do was change a BIOS setting (which one beats me. I changed some of my settings that were not overclocking related) so go look around in your BIOS. You'll most likely find the fault there. I dunno what your specific problem is, but good luck to you!

Sorry for bumping this, but yesterday I received my new parts for a proper AirPort network card (BCM94322MC) and decided to put it in as usual, replacing my old. It worked instantly and OS X booted fine.

However the day after, it wouldn't boot again and didn't come with any new message that I hadn't seen before. I tried reseating the network card but to no avail. It works in Windows so no problem there. Same issue, new hardware and also totally different port as this is a PCI-E card and not PCI like my previous. So I've decided that maybe it's not the network card after all as it denies booting OS X completely even without the network card now.

So I begun with the ultimate checks: Trying with different RAM sticks in other slots. I tried using only one of my three HDDs. Two with OS X on, one which is 100% vanilla and not even used MultiBeast on. Still same problem, even in totally new installs. And so I removed the SATA DVD-ROM drives (I have two) and tried again and it still won't boot.

So now I'm totally lost. This happened suddenly out of nowhere. No hardware changes was made or modified in any way. Absolutely NO changes were made and yet this happened.

Does anyone have any input at all? Is this a lost cause? It's really frustrating when everything was working perfectly without any issues before and now out of nowhere it denies booting OS X while everything works perfectly in Windows and Linux.

The biggest hint here is Resetting IOCatalogue that's the last message I get after a few minutes of being stuck. The rest is just useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back