Contribute
Register

[Work In Progress] Lenovo Z580 ML Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flapjack, what differences are there with the i5-3210m model of the Z580 that we need to take into account? Can you summarize your findings and/or send me kexts?

i'm using turkawa's kexts but my system isn't stable. i'm installing with same kexts but each times getting different results. sometimes audio not working, sometimes being battery time problems, sometimes booting problem. i chatted with turkawa i maked his saids but i didn't get good results and now i think about buying a mac.

here is my last extra folder and kexts. it is the best of my tests

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9naiWY3FfjxeWlqa3E0RXQzWGc&usp=sharing

i'm using turkawa's kexts but my system isn't stable. i'm installing with same kexts but each times getting different results. sometimes audio not working, sometimes being battery time problems, sometimes booting problem. i chatted with turkawa i maked his saids but i didn't get good results and now i think about buying a mac.

here is my last extra folder and kexts. it is the best of my tests

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9naiWY3FfjxeWlqa3E0RXQzWGc&usp=sharing

Yes, laptops are very hard, in general to hackintosh. Mine's working good now, but I have come across similar problems. Here's a few suggestions.

a) I notice your org.chameleon.boot.plist has two </dict> at the end of the file. You need to delete one of those!

b) Battery requires a modified AppleACPIPlatform along with AppleSmartBatteryManager kext. I am using the AppleSmartBatteryManager posted by Rehabman on his github, along with a different AppleACPIPlatform. It might be the same one you are using, so try to check it. It seems to work just fine together.

c) I now use VoodooHDA for my audio. My modified AppleHDA worked great for sound quality, but it didn't jack sense properly. Annoying is what that is. VoodooHDA seems to work fine, but the audio quality is less good.

d) You should always be able to boot your laptop with UseKernelCache=No; however, for faster boot times, I keep it with UseKernelCache=Yes. I had problems before with panics as VoodooPS2 was being loaded with UseKernelCache=No, which may be what you are experiencing? I recently was able to solve this with a reinstall using 10.8.4 along with the new Unibeast with laptop support checked off. Now it boots up with either boot flag. Yay!

Hope that helps.

Yes, laptops are very hard, in general to hackintosh. Mine's working good now, but I have come across similar problems. Here's a few suggestions.

b) Battery requires a modified AppleACPIPlatform along with AppleSmartBatteryManager kext. I am using the AppleSmartBatteryManager posted by Rehabman on his github, along with a different AppleACPIPlatform. It might be the same one you are using, so try to check it. It seems to work just fine together.

I would recommend not rolling back AppleACPIPlatform. Doing so will disable Ivy power management (not a problem if you don't have Ivy Bridge CPU) and on 10.8.5 will mess with the AHCI related kexts (leading to hang at boot with "still waiting for root..."

It is better to do the DSDT patches as required to use the vanilla AppleACPIPlatform. I posted DSDT patches for the Lenovo Z580 battery code just the other day.

d) You should always be able to boot your laptop with UseKernelCache=No; however, for faster boot times, I keep it with UseKernelCache=Yes. I had problems before with panics as VoodooPS2 was being loaded with UseKernelCache=No, which may be what you are experiencing? I recently was able to solve this with a reinstall using 10.8.4 along with the new Unibeast with laptop support checked off. Now it boots up with either boot flag. Yay!

Why are you using Unibeast to boot to your HDD install? Just wondering...

I would recommend not rolling back AppleACPIPlatform. Doing so will disable Ivy power management (not a problem if you don't have Ivy Bridge CPU) and on 10.8.5 will mess with the AHCI related kexts (leading to hang at boot with "still waiting for root..."

It is better to do the DSDT patches as required to use the vanilla AppleACPIPlatform. I posted DSDT patches for the Lenovo Z580 battery code just the other day.

Why are you using Unibeast to boot to your HDD install? Just wondering...
Hi Rehabman!

You've got a DSDT patch for Z580 that will make AppleACPIPlatform work properly? Rocking! I'm going to test that out! In previous attempts at modifying my DSDT, vanilla AppleACPIPlatform didn't secure a properly working battery manager, including your battery manager. I eventually gave up and used an AppleACPIPlatform that I found on the net to get battery working. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong.

In any case, I never had the "still waiting for root..." or any problems with the AppleACPIPlatform that I've been using since 10.8.2 or .3. I'm on 10.8.5 right now, no problems. Except for when my laptop runs out of juice, it shuts off/crashes instead of going to sleep. I've got an ivy cpu, i7-3612qm.

Oh, and no, I'm definitely not using the Unibeast usb to boot the HDD. I am booting from my hdd. I somehow messed up both of my operating system partitions (the master and the backup) while updated to 10.8.5, so I had to do a reinstall using unibeast.

You've got a DSDT patch for Z580 that will make AppleACPIPlatform work properly? Rocking! I'm going to test that out! In previous attempts at modifying my DSDT, vanilla AppleACPIPlatform didn't secure a properly working battery manager, including your battery manager. I eventually gave up and used an AppleACPIPlatform that I found on the net to get battery working. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong.

See this post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...artbatterymanager-lenovo-z580.html#post656392

Thank you Birkley, I followed your method and fixed my audio successfully!
Just one quick question, did you do anything to the DSDT file when trying to enable QE of the graphics card? I have a Lenovo Z500 with i7-3612QM and HD 4000 just like you, but I just cannot turn on the QE whatever I tried. I use Clover as the bootloader by the way. Also, can you change your internal Graphic memory size in your BIOS? Mine does not alow me to do so. Maybe that's the reason I can't boost my graphics card I guess.

Hi RehabMan, do you know where can I get any kext for my Elan touchpad? I have a Lenovo Z500, it has an Elan touchpad instead of Synaptics pad. I tried the one made by EMlyDinEsHMG, but failed to get into the system after that. Cannot figure out a possible reason.
Also, my F11 and F12 for brightness adjustment do not work. Fn+F11/F12 work just fine. Any possibility I can fix that problem?
Thank you so much.

Thank you Birkley, I followed your method and fixed my audio successfully!
Just one quick question, did you do anything to the DSDT file when trying to enable QE of the graphics card? I have a Lenovo Z500 with i7-3612QM and HD 4000 just like you, but I just cannot turn on the QE whatever I tried. I use Clover as the bootloader by the way. Also, can you change your internal Graphic memory size in your BIOS? Mine does not alow me to do so. Maybe that's the reason I can't boost my graphics card I guess.

Hey bullfrog and everyone,

My audio jack sensing is now only half working. It seemed to be working perfectly, but then after a couple weeks of usage, I notice that waking from sleep sometimes doesn't enable jack sensing well. Very frustrating! Anyone have any better successes?

Secondly, I didn't have to change my DSDT for HD 4000. Just my boot.plist flag. I am also using a macpro 9,1 smbios.plist file. See attached files.

I don't know how clover works - I just use chimera

Attachments

• org.chameleon.Boot.plist
    1 KB · Views: 265
  • smbios.plist
    699 bytes · Views: 249
Hey bullfrog and everyone,

My audio jack sensing is now only half working. It seemed to be working perfectly, but then after a couple weeks of usage, I notice that waking from sleep sometimes doesn't enable jack sensing well. Very frustrating! Anyone have any better successes?

Secondly, I didn't have to change my DSDT for HD 4000. Just my boot.plist flag. I am also using a macpro 9,1 smbios.plist file. See attached files.

I don't know how clover works - I just use chimera

Hi Birkley, I tried the SMBios method, but with no luck.

Hey birkley, my graphics card is working now. It's kind of silly, I deleted those intel-graphics-related kexts to get into the setup process but forgot to recover them when the installation was done.
However, I found my built-in mic is not working, but it can detect the iPhone earphone and work well with it. Weird. Any idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back