Contribute
Register

Wireless USB keyboard range diminished using Big Sur vs. Windows. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, added/replaced all the three AML files you first suggested, still have the same symptoms. Next added the fourth aml file. Still same symptoms. Finally added the patches (first time doing this), still the same symptoms. I have to have my keyboard nearly butted up against the dongle for it to work on OSX. Added the redacted OC folder for you to confirm I didn't do anything wrong, but adding the patches seemed fairly straightforward.

Frustrating.

Attachments

• OC.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 38
One of the biggest contributors to wireless problems is interference from Bluetooth.
To avoid this possibility use 5Ghz wireless (instead of 2.4Ghz).

Fair enough, but why the issue only on the Mac side and not Windows as well? I use Bluetooth regularly on Windows, actually, more regularly than with the OSX.

Yes, the config.plist patching is correct.

Are you using a Logitech Unifying receiver, i.e. one that can be used with multiple keyboards and mice - https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/products/mice/unifying-receiver-usb.910-005236.html

Logi Unifying receiver.jpg Logi Unifying Receiver

It might be worth purchasing a new one, they cost around £10/11 in the UK.

They even have specific drivers for use in macOS - https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025297913

Might be worth trying the drivers first, if it is a unifying receiver.

Updated the software, still the same. I will report back once I have the voltage tester to see if voltages are lower on OSX side vs. Windows and then make a decision from there.

The damnest thing is the USB range was working perfectly with 11.3 and a Radeon VII. When I switched to 11.4 and the 6900 XT is when the problems appeared. Sadly, I didn't do that independently so I can't say it was the software or hardware and the Radeon VII is sold.

Further testing.

-2012 Macbook Pro 15 running Catlina, plug in the USB dongle directly to the computer, range is approx 6 feet. No software installs or anything, just directly plugging it in.

-Dell XPS 13 laptop, plugging the dongle directly to the computer, range is approx 15 feet. No software installs or anything, just directly plugging it in.

-2012 Macbook Pro 15 with dongle plugged into USB powered hub. Range LOWER, approx 3-4 feet.

-Dell XPS 13 laptop with dongle plugged into USB powered hub. Range approx same, 15 feet or so.

After noticing less range with the powered hub on the Macbook Pro, I plugged the dongle straight into the Hackintosh on the motherboard. Range is slightly better, maybe 1.5-2 feet vs 1 foot with the powered hub. In practical terms, this means I can move the keyboard about 6 inches closer to my preferred seating position, as my powered hub is significantly closer to the keyboard than the computer can be.

Truly mind boggling... again, this was flawless a week or so ago with my Radeon VII and Big Sur 11.3

I would steer clear of USB hubs, if possible. They don't always behave the same in macOS as they do in Windows.

Have you tried using a USB extension cable (Type-A male to Type-A female). I am sure I got one with the Logitech Keyboard/Mouse combo set. Set it so the USB dongle is located on your desktop, at the base of your monitor.

USB extension cable.jpg USB extension cable

It's what I use with my Logitech MK540 keyboard and mouse combo. So the USB dongle is not located under my desk and hard to reach/access. It also moves it further away from the WiFi/BT card aerials so less likely to encounter any interference from the WiFi/BT card.

I use some black rubber cable holders, with sticky bases, to hold the USB extension cables and any lightning or other USB charging cables that are connected to my Hack's or power bricks.

Black cable tidy clips.jpg Assorted round cable tidy clips

Out of interest both, I had the same problems with my BCM94360CS2 Apple card. I needed an antenna extension to my desktop to get a reliable BT connection to my mouse.

However, my latest build with a built-in Intel chipset and standard antenna on the back of the case works perfectly.

No particular logic - just true.

I would steer clear of USB hubs, if possible. They don't always behave the same in macOS as they do in Windows.

Have you tried using a USB extension cable (Type-A male to Type-A female). I am sure I got one with the Logitech Keyboard/Mouse combo set. Set it so the USB dongle is located on your desktop, at the base of your monitor.
I looked through and indeed have an extension. I will go with it for the time being but I want to report back on range once I can measure voltages. Even if I stick with the extension, which seems to be working well, I am intrigued to know if there's a physical distance.

Out of interest both, I had the same problems with my BCM94360CS2 Apple card. I needed an antenna extension to my desktop to get a reliable BT connection to my mouse.

However, my latest build with a built-in Intel chipset and standard antenna on the back of the case works perfectly.

No particular logic - just true.
The mouse and keyboard I have do work with Bluetooth, but that doesn't work on boot up, so it's a bit of a pain to pick and choose which OS I want to use. I never have a problem with my Bluetooth trackpad, but I get occasional pauses when typing using the Logitech keyboard. Then all the words catch up, as if a buffer was fill before executing my keystrokes. This has happened since forever and I didn't care so much because I could just use the USB dongle. Interesting software nevertheless!

Distance for a Logitech Unifying receiver on the page I linked above, is also stated as 10m (30ft), which you are obviously not seeing. This is the same distance stated for most BT devices.

Could be the keyboard and/or mouse are defective. Have you thought of contacting Logitech and looking to RMA the set?

I did a number of years ago, when the lettering on the keys faded on a fairly expensive keyboard. Logitech sent me a replacement in a very short timeframe, at no cost. Even provided a pre-paid return postage label for the defective keyboard's return.

You have probably done this but just to cover all bases I will ask anyway, the batteries in the wireless keyboard and mouse, they are new, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back