Contribute
Register

[WIP] 2006 20" iMac Intel case mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally the $125 price of the real mccoy is very tempting. Not much of a wait and (hopefully) good quality. A panel can easily get broken coming half way around the world!

What I don't know about is the Thunderbolt connection. Would you need a TB2 to USB-C adapter?
The reason I’m passionate about using the Thunderbolt Display is, according to at least iFixit tear down and beetstech parts list, it has the same 40 pin eDP connection needed for the H310T motherboard. Everything else is a bit unknown, I’ve looked at 27” panels from China but the traveling worries me. I use a TB 2 connection with my M1 Air.

The reason I’m passionate about using the Thunderbolt Display is, according to at least iFixit tear down and beetstech parts list, it has the same 40 pin eDP connection needed for the H310T motherboard. Everything else is a bit unknown, I’ve looked at 27” panels from China but the traveling worries me. I use a TB 2 connection with my M1 Air.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification. :thumbup:

So is the eDP cable a ribbon? Is there a header on the H310T motherboard or are you getting out the soldering-iron?

(Did a bit of this a while back - my first experience of "flow soldering" :D )

the beetstech part and iFixit photos show a flat ribbon cable. The part on the motherboard and clarified in the manual shows a combined LVDS and eDP connection. I thinks there’s an image earlier in this thread.

the beetstech part and iFixit photos show a flat ribbon cable. The part on the motherboard and clarified in the manual shows a combined LVDS and eDP connection. I thinks there’s an image earlier in this thread.

Yes, sorry, you covered all of this with the monitor you bought back back in June last year. My fault for not reading the whole thread before posting!! :D

As you were. :thumbup:

Yes, I was just reading about the port - and also 30-pin versus 40-pin etc. Was it a Dell way back that had both the LVDS-MXM and LVDS-UMA ports?

It's a subject I'm not hot on so I'm learning here. :rolleyes:
I’ve dragged it out a bit, started two years ago and I have 20k views and they’re probably begging me to get this done already!.

Yes, I was just reading about the port - and also 30-pin versus 40-pin etc. Was it a Dell way back that had both the LVDS-MXM and LVDS-UMA ports?

It's a subject I'm not hot on so I'm learning here. :rolleyes:
I think @Edhawk has more knowledge on this subject, would love to hear his thoughts on this topic.

And then I didn’t break the glass when pulling it off the front of the Thunderbolt Display!, I just used my fingers!. Yes!, yellow PLA.

AABCE68B-7545-4BD3-88EB-D9643DE4987C.jpeg

Well, there's good news and there's bad news!. The bad news, that's definitely not a 40 pin eDP cable, possibly 30 pin?, not the end of the world there are adapters that can convert between the two. I also now have to put this back together again!, but at least after a year of procrastination we now know. The good news, the glass front panel is fixed in place with magnets and doesn't it look gorgeous inside, there's two iPads in there at least.

IMG_3866.jpeg

IMG_3867.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back