Contribute
Register

Windows thunderbolt activation doesn't survive restart

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't make me very hopeful that it will work. I'm on an Asus board so I thought that would help but it doesn't look like it.

The card even shows up on DPCIManager but connected devices don't show up unless the computer was booted into Windows first.

Do you have any idea where I could find more info? I'm really losing all hope.

On my Gigabyte board, the one thing I noticed in DPCIManager that was when it was connected and working properly after booting into Windows, the proper name of the Thunderbolt PCI device was showing up and named correctly. When it WASN'T working properly, the device showed up, but everything naming-wise showed up blank. I suspect there is some funky device ID thing going on. There is probably a way to inject for it, but I was already too far down the rabbit hole. It also may have to do with it being a PCI device without there being a deep set of features related to configuring PCI devices in the BIOS.

The same thing was happening on my ASUS board until I flipped one setting in my BIOS (that doesn't exist in the Gigabyte BIOS) that finally made it "stick" but I am not in front of my Hack right now so I don't remember what it was. I suspect it's the combo of all the features in the ASUS BIOS that make it work properly vs. the Gigabyte version of the BIOS that has a much more limited set of features.

I know people report lots of success in the Z87 version of the Gigabyte board. Something changed in the Z97 BIOS's that is making it not work or there is some magic set of settings in the Gigabyte board that I just wasn't able to find.

Best of luck. I will look at my BIOS settings later for the ASUS board and let you know.

Best of luck. I will look at my BIOS settings later for the ASUS board and let you know.

That would be extremely helpful, I've been trying all kinds of settings on the BIOS but it just won't stick.

I'm also going to try and see which PCI IDs and kexts are the correct ones.

Thank you!

Another Thunderbolt issue. I use an Asrock thunderbolt 2 AIC with my Asrock Z97 Extreme 6. I activated thunderbolt using Windows and the system has been able to use the thunderbolt connection. I always had to boot with devices powered up and connected, but my thunderbolt display's camera, ethernet, USB, and firewire all worked properly over thunderbolt.

After upgrading to Sierra, thunderbolt became more problematic. The only way I can get thunderbolt to work now is to boot into windows first, then reboot into OSX Sierra. If my hackintosh is powered down, I have to again boot into Windows first, then reboot into Sierra.

Luckily, the graphics passthrough still works consistently.

I'm having the same problem.

Did you try rolling back your OS? What version were you using before? Have you managed to fix it?

Thanks in advance for the help

That would be extremely helpful, I've been trying all kinds of settings on the BIOS but it just won't stick.

I'm also going to try and see which PCI IDs and kexts are the correct ones.

Thank you!

The setting on this board that made it stick was turning "Wake from Thunderbolt Devices" OFF.
BIOS1.JPG BIOS2.JPG

I have the exact same problem on an Asus g751jl laptop Hackintosh running Sierra. I must boot into windows with the thunderbolt device attached then restart and go into Sierra for it to be unlocked and useable. But.. I found that I can also shutdown windows and go straight into Sierra and it will work but if I shutdown from Sierra and go back into Sierra, thunderbolt will not work. So basically, thunderbolt will only work if windows was the last operating system to run.

Any fixes yet? I don't have the 'wake from thunderbolt devices' option that you have in BIOS.

Please help the thunderbolt hackintoshers.

I have the exact same problem on an Asus g751jl laptop Hackintosh running Sierra. I must boot into windows with the thunderbolt device attached then restart and go into Sierra for it to be unlocked and useable. But.. I found that I can also shutdown windows and go straight into Sierra and it will work but if I shutdown from Sierra and go back into Sierra, thunderbolt will not work. So basically, thunderbolt will only work if windows was the last operating system to run.

Any fixes yet? I don't have the 'wake from thunderbolt devices' option that you have in BIOS.

Please help the thunderbolt hackintoshers.

I managed to fix my problem by downgrading the BIOS to the previous version which had "Legacy" as a Security option. After that devices were recognised.

I managed to fix my problem by downgrading the BIOS to the previous version which had "Legacy" as a Security option. After that devices were recognised.

Unfortunately Asus didn't seem to have a 'legacy' security option in the bios in the older version for my laptop. They really didn't want to help when I pointed out that this should be an option in bios. Your post may help someone else though.

So far I have been able to collect these bios settings from other posts on here about thunderbolt. I don't have most of these settings in bios though:

Wake from Thunderbolt Devices" OFF.

El Capitan:
Peripherals -> Intel(R) Thunderbolt ->
Intel Thunderbolt Technology = Enabled
ThunderBolt Boot Support = Disabled
Security Level = Unique ID
Thunderbolt PCIe Cache-line Size = Change to 128
Ignore Thunderbolt Option Rom = Disabled
Thunderbolt SwSMI Delay = Change to 10
TBT Device IO resource Support = Enabled
Reserved Memory = Medium
Reserved Mem per phd slot = 32
Reserved Poem per phi slot = 32

Hi,

I have this motherboard : Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH

This option worked for me in BIOS: ThunderBolt Boot Support = Disabled

I am using a startech USB-c to thunderbolt adapter to connect my Apple Thunderbolt Display

I have not tried to boot straight from Sierra install. But i will try to now and let you know if that worked for me!

EDIT: Same crap... Need to boot into windows first in order to make sound camera etc.. work. Is there a fix for this ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back