Contribute
Register

Windows thunderbolt activation doesn't survive restart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ola ! Has anyone found a solution to this issue with the Z170X UD5 TH ?

I have the same issue and although I can function for now with the windows boot solution, I wonder if there is a more civilized option.

Thanks.

Jesse

Th
Ola ! Has anyone found a solution to this issue with the Z170X UD5 TH ?

I have the same issue and although I can function for now with the windows boot solution, I wonder if there is a more civilized option.

Thanks.

Jesse

The fix for me was in the BIOS, I advise anyone having this problem to change the Thunderbolt mode to "Legacy" or equivalent. Try changing BIOS version (an older one fixed the issue for me).
I don't have direct experience with that motherboard though, mine was an Asus Maximus.

I have been dealing with this issue for a while now and like the title says 'Thunderbolt Doesn't Survive Restart', a more accurate description would be, "Thunderbolt No Longer Activated After Shutdown From Mac OS".

Shutting down the computer from Sierra, kills thunderbolt activation from Windows. But shutting down the computer from Windows, does not.

If you shut down from Mac OS, you have to go into windows to get your thunderbolt working again but you don't have to restart and go into Mac OS right away, you can shut down from Windows and Mac OS will have thunderbolt next time you boot up, without having to go into windows but thunderbolt will stop working as soon as you shutdown within Mac OS and has to be 'activated' by windows again.

This could mean that something in the hackintosh is killing thunderbolt activation on shutdown from Mac OS. Could it be a power issue, or shutdown issue or kext issue or something else? I have not tried holding down the power button and not shutting down Mac OS properly since I'm running it of an SSD and that could cause big problems but if thunderbolt did still work after doing that, then we know the issue is due to something happening at shutdown in the Mac OS.

Not everyone has the 'legacy' option for thunderbolt in bios, it's not present in almost all laptops which have thunderbolt, which is increasing all the time. It would be good to find a solution to this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back