Graphics
GeForce GT 740
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have a (mostly) working Hackintosh (build info here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...i7-4790k-installation-performance-issues.html), and I need to install Windows 7 to do some troubleshooting. My startup drive is partitioned and ready for an install, but I can't even get into Windows 7 setup. I have created a Win 7 bootable USB stick a few different ways. After selecting that device from the bios boot menu, at most it skips straight into loading OSX instead. How do I get my computer to recognize this usb and proceed with the windows installation? I have no DVD player in either my macbook or my hackintosh, so I'm using the digital river iso.

I've tried a few methods, including using bootcamp on my macbook, rufus, unetbootin, windows 7 bootable usb utility, all to no avail. The usb utility can't even finish creating it, and rufus gives me an unknown error. Bootcamp's version of the bootable stick left my hackintosh with a black screen and a blinking cursor.

What gives? Is chameleon taking over before my usb can boot and run setup?

I've removed my SSD and am attempting to install windows on a second hard drive (without the OSX / Chameleon drive attached at all).

With Boot-Camp-created USB I cannot get past a blank screen with a cursor. With Unetbootin it gives me "Reboot or Insert proper media" error. I've tried multiple USB sticks.

Boot disk shows up in BIOS as both UEFI and non-UEFI, and neither work. I've played with UEFI BIOS settings.

Am I just missing something obvious?

I've removed my SSD and am attempting to install windows on a second hard drive (without the OSX / Chameleon drive attached at all).

With Boot-Camp-created USB I cannot get past a blank screen with a cursor. With Unetbootin it gives me "Reboot or Insert proper media" error. I've tried multiple USB sticks.

Boot disk shows up in BIOS as both UEFI and non-UEFI, and neither work. I've played with UEFI BIOS settings.

Am I just missing something obvious?
The USB installer created with boot camp will only work on a "real" Mac AFAIK.
You need to use the Windows download manager to create the USB on a Windows computer. Try your local schools or libraries if you do not have access to one, or maybe use one where you work.

Windows 7 USB Download tool is worthless.

I have the ISO mounted as a DVD on my Vista computer, and am using Diskpart to format USB stick and copy the boot sector over to the usb: but the Vista computer is 32bit so it gives me an error saying it's not compatible.

I am reduced to trying to install Windows onto my Mac via bootcamp just to create a ****ing Bootable USB stick from it for a computer that was made for Windows :clap:

Windows 7 USB Download tool is worthless.

I've used it exclusively for creating Windows USB installers. It works every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back