Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Specs
MoboGigabyte GA-Z97M-D3HCPUIntel Core i5-4690GraphicsEVGA GeForce GTX 750 TiOther HardwareWiFi Adapter: TP-Link N900 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W

Context
I built my Hackintosh with the idea that I would install a separate hard drive if I ever wanted to dual-boot Windows. I now want to dual boot Windows, but 'hard drives are cheap' is a relative statement, and I have not used much of the space yet, so I have decided to partition my 1TB SATA drive - I want the Windows portion to be only 200GB.

My motherboard has UEFI BIOS. I am using Chimera as my bootloader.

The Effort So Far
I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO, and used Boot Camp Assistant on my MacBook Air to create a bootable USB drive (8GB). On my Hackintosh, I partitioned my hard drive from within Yosemite. I read online that I would need to format this partition as ExFAT (apparently MS-DOS is not good to use due to a file size restriction?), and then change it to NTFS once I had Windows installed. I did this.

The Windows installation screen loaded no problem, but when I tried to install to the ExFAT partition, I got the message "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. [It needs to be NTFS.]" I hit the "Format" button in the Windows Setup screen (the window where you choose the partition to be installed on) - hoping this would work. Now, when I view the partition in Yosemite Disk Utility, it says the drive format is NTFS.

I am still getting a similar error when I try to install - now it is: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

After some looking around, the solving methods were to change boot order in BIOS (tried and did not work), to erase the whole drive and convert to GPT (I am not willing to erase my Yosemite partition), to make sure Boot Camp put EFI on the loader (it did), and that the partition is a GPT/MBR hybrid that Windows only sees the MBR portion of (according to this, it isn't possible). Additionally, when I change the BIOS settings to Legacy-only (as opposed to booting in UEFI), the usb installer does not load and I get a blank underscore terminal-like thing that can not be typed into.

I feel like I am missing a simple answer, but I am having a hard time being new to most of this terminology and navigating the guides strewn about various forums. How can I bypass/fix this GPT/MBR error and install Windows 10 onto my partition? I am fine with changing the settings on that partition if I need to as there is nothing on it yet, I just do not want to erase anything on the Yosemite portion.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Specs
MoboGigabyte GA-Z97M-D3HCPUIntel Core i5-4690GraphicsEVGA GeForce GTX 750 TiOther HardwareWiFi Adapter: TP-Link N900 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W

Context
I built my Hackintosh with the idea that I would install a separate hard drive if I ever wanted to dual-boot Windows. I now want to dual boot Windows, but 'hard drives are cheap' is a relative statement, and I have not used much of the space yet, so I have decided to partition my 1TB SATA drive - I want the Windows portion to be only 200GB.

My motherboard has UEFI BIOS. I am using Chimera as my bootloader.

The Effort So Far
I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO, and used Boot Camp Assistant on my MacBook Air to create a bootable USB drive (8GB). On my Hackintosh, I partitioned my hard drive from within Yosemite. I read online that I would need to format this partition as ExFAT (apparently MS-DOS is not good to use due to a file size restriction?), and then change it to NTFS once I had Windows installed. I did this.

The Windows installation screen loaded no problem, but when I tried to install to the ExFAT partition, I got the message "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. [It needs to be NTFS.]" I hit the "Format" button in the Windows Setup screen (the window where you choose the partition to be installed on) - hoping this would work. Now, when I view the partition in Yosemite Disk Utility, it says the drive format is NTFS.

I am still getting a similar error when I try to install - now it is: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

After some looking around, the solving methods were to change boot order in BIOS (tried and did not work), to erase the whole drive and convert to GPT (I am not willing to erase my Yosemite partition), to make sure Boot Camp put EFI on the loader (it did), and that the partition is a GPT/MBR hybrid that Windows only sees the MBR portion of (according to this, it isn't possible). Additionally, when I change the BIOS settings to Legacy-only (as opposed to booting in UEFI), the usb installer does not load and I get a blank underscore terminal-like thing that can not be typed into.

I feel like I am missing a simple answer, but I am having a hard time being new to most of this terminology and navigating the guides strewn about various forums. How can I bypass/fix this GPT/MBR error and install Windows 10 onto my partition? I am fine with changing the settings on that partition if I need to as there is nothing on it yet, I just do not want to erase anything on the Yosemite portion.

Thank you!

Creation of either ExFat or MSDOS FAT partitions creates a hybrid HFS/MBR partition. What you want to do is format the partition same as you would for OS X. So, to fix your drive, run disk utility, delete the partitions you created, extend the OS X partition to the end of the drive and reboot.
At desktop again, run disk utility and this time create your new partition HFS+ just as if you were going to install OS X on it and shutdown.
Boot the Windows install media, select the HFS+ partition you just created,, click on advanced, click on format, click on continue and install Windows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back