Contribute
Register

Windows 10 doesn't boot with Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Ammulder. I have tried your proposal, but when I boot from Clover the new Windows Boot Manager entry I got the following message: "The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors, File\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD". It must be more complicated than we thought.

I think I'm going to reinstall Windows 7, that ran from Clover without problems. All the same, as I said before, f12 for booting Windows is not too bad.

Entropic.

If you can find a way to get Windows to re-install its boot system to the EFI partition (or "repair" it or whatever), then hopefully you get can into a state where it boots only into Windows. (I haven't done this, but I have to think there's some way.)

From there, it's not too hard to strategically replace the Windows boot file with the Clover one in order to get Clover & Windows both -- I think copying the Clover file over the Windows one just like Going Bald suggested would do it.

I forget your configuration but is it possible that Windows has just installed to the EFI partition on a different disk?

Yes, Windows is in the EFI partition of a different disk. In third post you can see my diskutil list output. Windows is on Crucial M500 120GB with four partitions that you can see there. I'm afraid I don't quite understand hoy Clover works.

Thanks again.

Entropic.

If you can find a way to get Windows to re-install its boot system to the EFI partition (or "repair" it or whatever), then hopefully you get can into a state where it boots only into Windows. (I haven't done this, but I have to think there's some way.)

You can re-create Windows UEFI boot files with BCDBOOT.EXE. This is usually done from within the Windows Recovery Environment command line (eg. Shift+F10 from the Windows installer).

Once you get a valid EFI/Microsoft directory, Clover can boot the \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi that is there.

OK, thankyou, Rehabman. if I understand what you've said I have to:

1. Boot from Clover choosing UEFI CD/DVD Unit with a Windows 10 DVD Installer
2. Get Command Line from Shift+F10
3. Run BCDBOOT.EXE

And that will install the right \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi?

As you can see i'm not an expert. I think that probably will erase activation, but it is worthy to try. Please confirm if my understanding is right.

Entropic

The thing is, you have two EFI Partitions right now. On each HDD, one with Windows EFI Boot Data, one with Clover's and OSX data on it. Normally Clover should be able to handle this on it's own, but maybe the second OS installation has changed some logical links regarding boot data and disks.

What you can do is what RehabMan says, boot into Windows by BIOS Boot Order or via DVD/USB Installer, and recreate BCD Store/EFI Bootstore via CMD.

I have done this before so i can remember the right commands if you need them.

mount the Partitions with DISKPART assign (HDD0 EFI, HDD1 EFI)
lets say letters assigned are S and T

copy Microsoft Boot Data to HDD0 EFI
xcopy T:\EFI\Microsoft\* S:\EFI\Microsoft\*
create new store
bcdedit -createstore S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD
create boot entry
bcdedit -store S:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -create {bootmgr} /d "Windows Boot Manager"

There is a comfortable UI Tool called EasyUEFI free for private USE, which can also check and create EFI boot data (the last step)

OK, thankyou, Rehabman. if I understand what you've said I have to:

1. Boot from Clover choosing UEFI CD/DVD Unit with a Windows 10 DVD Installer
2. Get Command Line from Shift+F10
3. Run BCDBOOT.EXE

And that will install the right \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi?

As you can see i'm not an expert. I think that probably will erase activation, but it is worthy to try. Please confirm if my understanding is right.

Entropic

BCDBOOT.exe can re-create the entire \EFI\Microsoft structure for the EFI partition.

It is not an issue to have multiple EFI partitions... one with EFI\Microsoft and another with EFI\Clover. Just make sure Clover is set as the active boot manager, so BIOS runs Clover. Clover will detect the Windows EFI loader on the second disk.

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused. You mean running BCDBOOT.exe without arguments "as it is" and that will recreate de microsoft estructure? Booting from UEFI DVD already mount Windows EFi partition, I suppose; and booting that entry (UEFI Windows 10 DVD Install) from Clover makes Clover the main boot manager... If so, I will get a Windows 10 install DVD and try tomorrow.

Entropic.

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused. You mean running BCDBOOT.exe without arguments "as it is" and that will recreate de microsoft estructure? Booting from UEFI DVD already mount Windows EFi partition, I suppose; and booting that entry (UEFI Windows 10 DVD Install) from Clover makes Clover the main boot manager... If so, I will get a Windows 10 install DVD and try tomorrow.

Entropic.

BCDBOOT.exe requires arguments. You can find it in the help from the tool itself or from documentation provided by Microsoft.

OK, I'll look for it and let you know what happened.

Thanks to everybody.

Entropic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back