NVIDIA GTX 650 Ti 2 GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, friends.

I just have installed El Capitan GM on my GA-Z97M-D3H//Crucial M500//GTX 650Ti//I7 4770 machine using the last Clover bootloader. I had already installed Windows 10 in UEFI mode, so I thought Clover would be able to boot both OSs. Nevertheless, Windows 10 only boot from motherboard boot menu (F12), but not from Clover. Partition is properly chosen (UEFI Windows Boot Manager, the same that boot rightly from Motherboard F12 boot menu).

I have read that I should have installed Windows 10 after El Capitan, using Clover, but now it is impossible and it would be a pain in the ass to reínstall windows because of the license activation (on UEFI mode is really diturbing even having a legal license, which is my case).

If somebody could find a solution, I would be grateful.

Also, I'm having isolated issues with USB. Sometimes, conecting an USB, no matter if 2.0 or 3.0, System reboot (from Mac OS) inmediatly. I've heard El Capitan made some changes in USB management, but I haven't found nothing consistent about my problem. If it sounds to you, maybe you have some ideas.

Thanks for your attention.

Entropic.

I don't think I can help you with this, because I've only installed Windows second and Clover noticed it without special intervention. But it might be helpful to others if you say whether Windows is on the same or a different disk than OS X, and if the same, how the partitions are arranged (maybe post the output of "diskutil list"?).

Of course, Thank you.

Windows 10 is installed on a SSD Crucial 120GB GPT formatted where it made 4 partitions (System Reserved, Main, Windows Recovery and EFI-No name). Mac OS El Capitan GM Candidate is in other Crucial M500 SSD 240GB. There is also a data 2TB magnetic disk. My diskutil list output:

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *240.1 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS OS X 239.2 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *120.0 GB disk1
1: EFI NO NAME 104.9 MB disk1s1
2: Microsoft Reserved 134.2 MB disk1s2
3: Microsoft Basic Data 119.3 GB disk1s3
4: Windows Recovery 471.9 MB disk1s4
/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk2
1: Windows_NTFS INTERCAMBIO 158.3 GB disk2s1
2: Apple_HFS MACDATA 366.0 GB disk2s2
3: Apple_HFS DATOS 1.5 TB disk2s3

Hope it helps to identify some solution.

Entropic.

When you install Clover/OS X first, then install Windows, a folder called /Microsoft/Boot get installed in EFI.
Do not know if this will work, but you can try:
1.mount EFI
2. create a EFI/Microsoft/Boot folder
3. copy into it the Cloverx64.efi file found in EFI/Clover/
4. rename EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Clover64.efi as bootmgfw.efi
5. unmount EFI
6. reboot

Reason not sure if this will work is that there is already a Microsoft bootmgfw.efi somewhere else that may interfere.

Hi, friends.

I just have installed El Capitan GM on my GA-Z97M-D3H//Crucial M500//GTX 650Ti//I7 4770 machine using the last Clover bootloader. I had already installed Windows 10 in UEFI mode, so I thought Clover would be able to boot both OSs. Nevertheless, Windows 10 only boot from motherboard boot menu (F12), but not from Clover. Partition is properly chosen (UEFI Windows Boot Manager, the same that boot rightly from Motherboard F12 boot menu).

I have read that I should have installed Windows 10 after El Capitan, using Clover, but now it is impossible and it would be a pain in the ass to reínstall windows because of the license activation (on UEFI mode is really diturbing even having a legal license, which is my case).

If somebody could find a solution, I would be grateful.

Also, I'm having isolated issues with USB. Sometimes, conecting an USB, no matter if 2.0 or 3.0, System reboot (from Mac OS) inmediatly. I've heard El Capitan made some changes in USB management, but I haven't found nothing consistent about my problem. If it sounds to you, maybe you have some ideas.

Entropic.

Do you see a Windows entry in the Clover GUI?

Yes, Rehabman, I can see one entry in clover saying "WIndows Boot Manager", which is the same that I boot from motherboard boot menu.

Tomorrow I will try the solution proposed by Going Bald. It could work for whaat I have read about the problem.

Thankyou again and I'll let you know what happened.

Entropic.

It did'nt work. What happens now is that Clover shows a new entry with the same name as the older Micrososft UEFI Boot Manager (I have two entries like that now). I have tried both, the old one with the same old result (Windows 10 hangs whlie booting and black screen), the second one, the new one, returns to Clover (this second time Clover only shows the old entriy, not the new).

All the same the thing is not that disturbing. I always can boot Windows with F12.

Thanks again.

Entropic.

It did'nt work. What happens now is that Clover shows a new entry with the same name as the older Micrososft UEFI Boot Manager (I have two entries like that now). I have tried both, the old one with the same old result (Windows 10 hangs whlie booting and black screen), the second one, the new one, returns to Clover (this second time Clover only shows the old entriy, not the new).

All the same the thing is not that disturbing. I always can boot Windows with F12.

Thanks again.

Entropic.

Do you have an EFI/Microsoft directory on your EFI partition?
Disable legacy scanning in Clover so you're not confused by the multiple legacy entries Clover will add.

When you boot Windows via F12, is it running UEFI? Check in MSINFO32.EXE.

I have now a microsoft folder in my EFI partition, but is the folder I created following Going Bald instructions. It doesn't work as I explained in my last post. It creates a new entry in Clover, but booting that entry force the system to reboot to clover again. Windows is booting in UEFI mode (I installed it in UEFI mode). In fact, Microsoft boot manager shows itself on motherboard boot menu as Microsoft UEFI boot manager, same as in Clover.

I think Going Bald is right and Windows 10 has is own Microsoft bootmgfw.efi in some place and doesn't boot from the one I manually created in my efi clover partition. It seems that, when you install Windows 10 from Clover, the own windows 10 creates the Microsoft folder in the EFI/Clover and so it boot from clover menu. Maybe the only way is to install Windows on UEFI from Clover, deleting the current installation.

Many thanks for your attention.

Entropic.

I have now a microsoft folder in my EFI partition, but is the folder I created following Going Bald instructions. It doesn't work as I explained in my last post. It creates a new entry in Clover, but booting that entry force the system to reboot to clover again.

I believe Going Bald's instructions were to copy the Clover boot file into the position usually occupied by the Microsoft boot file. So I would expect that if it gives you a new entry and you select it, it would boot back to Clover, because that's what you put in the Windows boot file position.

Now I'm just guessing here, but if you can find your *actual* bootmgfw.efi from Windows and put it in that place, maybe then it'll boot to Windows? I see a suggestion to look for a backup in Windows at C:\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back