Contribute
Register

Will the System Boot Smoothly with a New but slightly different Gigabyte Z390 Board?

For Intel WiFi try using this version of AirportItlwm.kext.

Just be patient with the GitHub page linked, as it seems to be struggling at present.

Still looks wrong, as you have a maximum of 4 x physical USB2 Type-A ports on the motherboard. So you shouldn’t have 5 x ports set with USB2 connector type.

Above you said the 4 x USB2 ports (black coloured tang) don’t show in Hackintool. So I can only assume the 5 x ports set as USB2 are in fact virtual USB2 ports served from the 5 x physical USB3 ports. That being the case they should all be set with connector type USB3, to match the physical aspect of the parent port.
Okay, I have reconfigured it taking into account your recent instructions. The ports are working flawlessly, Bluetooth too, and sleep as well (so no changes because everything worked correctly in the previous configuration).

Screen Shot 2023-10-05 at 8.36.27 pm.png

Additional question: Do you know why USB-C doesn't provide enough power for an external hard drive to start? Pendrives are recognised without any issues through the same USB-C port.

For Intel WiFi try using this version of AirportItlwm.kext.

Just be patient with the GitHub page linked, as it seems to be struggling at present.
Unfortunately, after adding the AirportItlwm.kext that you recommended to try doesn't work but as I mentioned earlier, this is not a big problem for me.

Do you know why USB-C doesn't provide enough power for an external hard drive to start? Pendrives are recognised without any issues through the same USB-C port.
Have you tried removing the Type-C cable from the port, flipping it 180° and reinserting the cable. Does that make any difference? If yes, then you need to set the Type-C port as 'Type-c' (10) without switch, not Type-c+sw (9). It also means that there are two ports available from the Type-c connector, and the orientation of the cable/device will have a bearing on which port is used. As you only have one type-c port showing in your USB configuration you need to go back to the USB port discovery phase, identify and activate the second type-c port.

Which type-c Enclosure are you using? I have a couple of Type-C enclosures that I use with NVMe drives, fixing issues for friends/family, and they both work in the Type-C port on my Z390 system. They also work from a pair of USB3 Type-A and Type-C PCIe adapters in a pair of AMD Ryzen systems. The PCIe x4 adapter cards have 2 or 3 Type-C connectors and they all work.

The problem was with the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter, that's why the external hard drive was't recognised. Directly connecting the USB-C drive works fine.

I experimented with installing Monterey, and it seems I'll stick with this OS instead of Catalina.

Do you have any trusted recommendations for NVMe M.2 SSDs in 2023? I've read that SanDisk or Western Digital are the best options, but which specific models? SN770?

Last edited:
Yes the WD SN770 would be a good choice for a Coffee Lake system.

You can also use the SN850X drive but they are PCIe 4.0, which means your CFL system won’t see the advertised top speeds, as it is only PCIe 3.0.

SN770 arrived, installation and data restoration from Time Machine went flawlessly. The disk works really fast.
Thanks to everyone for your help!

Back