Contribute
Register

Will the System Boot Smoothly with a New but slightly different Gigabyte Z390 Board?

The USB Catalina installation starts, I formatted (the only SSD I connected for testing purposes) to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as well as APFS without any difference, it stops every time at 2 minutes to the end.

View attachment 572394The keyboard and mouse lose power. Sometimes it stays on the installation screen with those errors...

View attachment 572395

and sometimes it proceeds further but gets stuck at...

View attachment 572396

or... (I unplugged the Ethernet here)

View attachment 572397

I don't know if it's the GPU, I have a spare Radeon RX 580, I could try replacing the RX 5700 XT with it, remove the boot argument agdpmod=pikera, and try the installation again. I don't know if that will help.

Do you have any suggestions or ideas?
in disk utility, click on view and choose all devices

then highlight the drive on the left and click on erase to erase the entire drive as APFS

then install

in disk utility, click on view and choose all devices

then highlight the drive on the left and click on erase to erase the entire drive as APFS

then install
Thanks Feartech.
As I mentioned in my previous posts, I've already resolved this problem by making the following adjustments:

LegacyEnable -> YES
LegacyOverwrite -> YES
WriteFlash -> YES

I also replaced the modified SSDT-PMC to fix the issue related to macOS writing certain NVRAM variables during the system boot process.

I also managed to solve the most recent problem by swapping out the 5700 XT for an RX 580. It worked, confirming my suspicion that the issue was GPU-related during the installation.

Now, after the installation is complete and I've reached the desktop, what steps should I take if I want to use the 5700 XT again?

Ok, almost everything works correctly. I just don't have WiFi, Bluetooth, and USB2 ports are not working.
Do you have any suggestions?

On the bright side, sleep and wake work for the first time!
Also, if I change the graphics card back to a 5700 XT, do I need to make any changes in EFI and plist?

Ok, almost everything works correctly. I just don't have WiFi, Bluetooth, and not all USB ports are working.
Do you have any suggestions?

On the bright side, sleep and wake work for the first time!
Also, if I change the graphics card back to a 5700 XT, do I need to make any changes in EFI and plist?

Thanks, but without USB2, I will surely survive. I would rather solve the problem with WiFi, Bluetooth, and the 5700 XT GPU. I already have a few solutions but I'm looking for the best one..

Thanks, but without USB2, I will surely survive. I would rather solve the problem with WiFi, Bluetooth, and the 5700 XT GPU. I already have a few solutions but I'm looking for the best one..
you need to setup your usb ports properly first, then concentrate on wifi and bluetooth

WiFi will work with AirportItlwm if I set SecureBootModel to Default, but I can't; mine must be disabled, which is the problem. There is another way using Heliport, but that's not great. I also set Kernel > Force string value System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family but it doesnt work. Still looking...

Feartech, are you suggesting that if I don't configure all the USB ports on my motherboard, WiFi and Bluetooth won't work?

Bluetooth module will be working through an Internal USB 2.0 port, so if this isn't setup correctly you won't get your Wifi/BT card working correctly.

Not having the USB ports configured correctly is a common cause for Sleep/reboot/wake/Black screen issues on a Hack.

Regarding your wish to switch from the RX 580 to the RX 5700 XT that is simple to do.
  1. Add 'agdpmod=pikera' boot argument to your config.plist.
  2. Shutdown your system.
  3. Physically replace the RX 580 with the RX 5700 XT.
  4. Reboot your system.
  5. While on the OC boot screen press the 'Sapcebar'
    1. This will unhide a few OC Drivers and Tools, assuming you have followed the OC guide and included the recommended Drivers etc.
  6. Select the ResetNvramEntry.efi icon, this will clear any old NVRAM entries and reboot the system.
  7. Select the macOS icon when next on the OC boot screen.
    1. You may need to enter the Bios to set the macOS drive as the default boot drive, if you are dual-booting macOS and Windows/Linux and don't have OpenCore as a boot option in your bios.

Back