Contribute
Register

wildwillow's Dual Boot Skylake Build : Asus Z170 Deluxe - i5-6600K - GTX970 SSC - 32GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's an awesome guide, wildwillow !! thank you for sharing it :)
I'm currently looking through stable builds here in the forum, so I can build my first hackintosh soon.

I was wondering if you already found out why you get the odd slow sleep/wake?
is otherwise everything else still working properly?

Hi stan99,
Thanks and no problem, I can tell you that it is a stable configuration, pretty much giving us everything we need with the one purchase of the motherboard. No add-on cards required it all comes with the Z170 Deluxe.

As for the slow wake from sleep I've still not gotten around to testing sleep with my GTX970 simply as I've been testing HD530 and my R9 380. But if you can hold on for a definitive answer, this weekend I'll set it up and test. I was meant to do this a couple of weeks back but its slipped through the net. .

Hello, Wildwillow. Remember I was panicking about my account being hacked. Finally I have found out what has really happened. (Recap: My account was accessed from very unlikely location and I blocked it via two stage verification.) Today I went to my parents house and tried to access my Apple ID account on my father's smartphone. I received alert on my iPhone, and it was again showing the same
location as before, about 1000 miles away from my real location.
It must be something wrong with Apple location services, although when I check location of my father's phone in Find my iPhone app, it shows correct location.

Last edited:
I was wondering if you already found out why you get the odd slow sleep/wake?
is otherwise everything else still working properly?

My system is now on 10.11.5 and the last time I tested sleep was in 10.11.3. I can confirm that waking from sleep is normal and no delays. Will continue to test longer periods of sleep overnight and will post if I have any problems, fingers crossed.

Pretty similar specs but having some trouble.
i5-6600k, z170 deluxe mobo, gtx 970 (MSI).
Followed the guide closely with the exception that I started with a W10 install already there and some of the options you described just aren't there in my BIOS (maybe I need an update?).
Why do you say not to use the realtek audio driver? I uninstalled it on windows to see if it helped but it surprised me that you mentioned it so I'm wondering if there's a non-obvious reason for it.
JOVp3LU.jpg

When I try and boot some warnings about missing bluetooth and then this screen. I've tried a different USB3 port but I don't have any USB2 ports to try. Any advice? Happy to provide more specifics on demand :)

I don't have any USB2 ports

I also couldn't install using usb 3.0, but It works just fine using USB 2.0. Asus z170 deluxe has one USB 2.0 port(black one) on the back plate or you can use USB 2.0 motherboard header.

Last edited:
Followed the guide closely with the exception that I started with a W10 install already there and some of the options you described just aren't there in my BIOS (maybe I need an update?).
Hi A51H, I started on BIOS version 0902 and I'm currently on 1802, all the settings are the same in each revision. Wondering if you've pressed F7 to go into advanced settings. You'll need to make sure the BIOS settings are the same.

Why do you say not to use the realtek audio driver? I uninstalled it on windows to see if it helped but it surprised me that you mentioned it so I'm wondering if there's a non-obvious reason for it.
It has been known that the Realtek audio driver can disable audio in OS X. A user reported that he'd installed the Realtek driver and removing it made OS X audio work. Another user said it didn't affect OS X audio so its in there for precaution.

When I try and boot some warnings about missing bluetooth and then this screen. I've tried a different USB3 port but I don't have any USB2 ports to try. Any advice? Happy to provide more specifics on demand
Your final line is "waiting for root device" which means that the installer can't be located. As BulatM mentioned you've got one USB 2.0 on the rear of the case and 4 available from the mid board (internal headers).
If you can't use the internal headers if your case only has USB 3.0 you have a couple of options.
You can put GenericUSBXHCI.kext (https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-generic-usb3/downloads) in /EFI/EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.11, this will give you use of the ASMedia ports on the rear of the motherboard.
Or try the config.plist attached (Its the install config.plist from post#1). I've removed -uia_exclude_ss and added the raise port limit patch which should enable your Intel USB3.0 ports. Let me know how it works for you.

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.3 KB · Views: 159
My system is now on 10.11.5 and the last time I tested sleep was in 10.11.3. I can confirm that waking from sleep is normal and no delays. Will continue to test longer periods of sleep overnight and will post if I have any problems, fingers crossed.

I slept the system multiple times yesterday and put it to sleep over night (almost 12hrs). Waking perfectly so I've removed the comments from post#1 about slow wake from sleep.

I also couldn't install using usb 3.0, but It works just fine using USB 2.0. Asus z170 deluxe has one USB 2.0 port(black one) on the back plate or you can use USB 2.0 motherboard header.

Major Derp, reporting for duty. My keyboard was plugged into that port. Thanks, able to get to installer using USB2

Hi A51H, I started on BIOS version 0902 and I'm currently on 1802, all the settings are the same in each revision. Wondering if you've pressed F7 to go into advanced settings. You'll need to make sure the BIOS settings are the same.

Perhaps it's a localisation thing? I'm en-gb if they make motherboards with localisation. Yes I pressed F7 to go to advanced settings.

It has been known that the Realtek audio driver can disable audio in OS X. A user reported that he'd installed the Realtek driver and removing it made OS X audio work. Another user said it didn't affect OS X audio so its in there for precaution.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Your final line is "waiting for root device" which means that the installer can't be located. As BulatM mentioned you've got one USB 2.0 on the rear of the case and 4 available from the mid board (internal headers).
If you can't use the internal headers if your case only has USB 3.0 you have a couple of options.
You can put GenericUSBXHCI.kext (https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-generic-usb3/downloads) in /EFI/EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.11, this will give you use of the ASMedia ports on the rear of the motherboard.
Or try the config.plist attached (Its the install config.plist from post#1). I've removed -uia_exclude_ss and added the raise port limit patch which should enable your Intel USB3.0 ports. Let me know how it works for you.

Thanks, as I mentioned above I'm now able to get to the installer using USB2 but I'll give your config a try and see if I can't use the Intel USB3.0 :)

Thank you both for your help. Such a great community.

UPDATE:
I couldn't get USB3.0 working with your config so went ahead with the 2.0 install. I now have a fully working dual boot :D

Minor niggle, "about this mac" shows 16GB of RAM despite my 32GB. Can I change this? (top shows the correct amount of memory available so it doesn't affect performance).

Last edited:
I slept the system multiple times yesterday and put it to sleep over night (almost 12hrs). Waking perfectly so I've removed the comments from post#1 about slow wake from sleep.
I just did a sleep-test and had no sound after wake up. Maybe the reason is that I did install the Realtek drivers in windows(?). It doesn't me bother really as I prefer turning the system of when not in use (another advantage of going air cooled instead of water cooled as my previous build were).

thank you, wildwillow! I really appreciate the effort. it's good to know that your build seems to be flawless :)
I think I'll wait for Apple's WWDC event on June 10th to see if they'll update any of their Macs which could mean proper working 2011-v3 generation boards.
otherwise I guess I'll pull the trigger on your build. and thanks again for testing your system again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back