Contribute
Register

wildwillow's Dual Boot Skylake Build : Asus Z170 Deluxe - i5-6600K - GTX970 SSC - 32GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to get my HD Audio front panel connectors to work?

Thats a question you'd be better off asking in the Audio forum, that is one thing I've never done.

For anyone interested I was checking out the Audio MIDI Setup to try and help with front port HD Audio and have come across something that I've never seen before which is you can create a Multi-Output Device, I've just done this consisting of HDMI audio and analog audio from the rear motherboard port both playing simultaneously. I'm shocked I've never seen this unless of course it is new. It gives me a wider sound other than just using my old 2.1 creative speakers and sub.

Here's a screen shot.
Multi-Output Device.png

I wonder if the culprit is your optical DVD drive. They used to be troublesome with sleep. A trick used to be to always have a disc in when the system slept. But to tick this box off the wake up list, try shutting down your system and disconnect the SATA cable from the drive. Boot the system and test sleep. If it wakes immediately again, go to Applications >Utilities >Console and check the log for wake reason around the time it woke (if it wakes).
You were right wildwillow. Unplugging the DVD drive made the system stay at sleep. Upon wakeup I still have no sound.
Another issue which is actually bothering me is that after installing the CodecCommander kext OR updating the nvidia drivers, sound is now gone from the DP-port. I only have sound through the back panel port (when cold booting or restarting).
Is it safe to remove the CodecCommander.kext from /Library/Extensions manually to check if it is this kext that is blocking sound trough DP?

You were right wildwillow. Unplugging the DVD drive made the system stay at sleep. Upon wakeup I still have no sound.
Another issue which is actually bothering me is that after installing the CodecCommander kext OR updating the nvidia drivers, sound is now gone from the DP-port. I only have sound through the back panel port (when cold booting or restarting).
Is it safe to remove the CodecCommander.kext from /Library/Extensions manually to check if it is this kext that is blocking sound trough DP?

Well that is sleep kind of fixed, suppose you could leave the optical drive unplugged until you need to burn a disc or read from a disc. Depends whether sleep or DVD drive is most important. There used to be a thread that had a few drives that worked with sleep. But now optical drives don't seem to be so important with digital media readily available.

Make sure that your monitor is switched on before you boot. I noticed when I did the Nvidia update that HDMI audio didn't appear as my monitor wasn't on. One I rebooted it appeared in System Preferences / Sound / Outputs.

Yes you can safely remove Codec Commander from /Library/Extensions. Copy it to your desktop and then send the Kext to the trash. Hopefully you can get audio working from sleep. Once you enable HDMI audio see if it works after sleep without Codec Commander, it does for me but just not analog audio.

Yes you can safely remove Codec Commander from /Library/Extensions. Copy it to your desktop and then send the Kext to the trash. Hopefully you can get audio working from sleep. Once you enable HDMI audio see if it works after sleep without Codec Commander, it does for me but just not analog audio.

Removing the CodecCommander.kext from /Library/Extensions gave me back HDMI audio - also after sleep. But the analog output to my headphones still does not work after sleep. I can live with it. As i said earlier sleep is really not that important to me. It is a nice-to-have, not a need-to-have.

Thanks again wildwillow!

As i said earlier sleep is really not that important to me. It is a nice-to-have, not a need-to-have.

I never sleep my systems as a rule. Only to help out with my User Build descriptions and Guides. Since a user had a problem with sleep using the same Z87X-OC motherboard I've had my systems in sleep to try and diagnose issues the past few days, but its a tough one most of the time. We all configure our systems differently, whether its monitors, keyboards/mouse, headsets/audio drives/peripherals etc. Everyone to their own and what works for you and is required for your needs is different from another user. It's always worth taking it down a notch to gain practicality.

I am returning ASUS M8H, Q code f6,55,41, freezes, and boot/shotdown clicking noises.
I am getting new Asus Z170-Deluxe.(old one still being repaired)

Could please suggest what RAM should I get for this board?

I am returning ASUS M8H, Q code f6,55,41, freezes, and boot/shotdown clicking noises.
I am getting new Asus Z170-Deluxe.(old one still being repaired)

Could please suggest what RAM should I get for this board?
I can recommend the Gskill RipJaws that are linked in Post#1 of this thread. These have been working flawlessly on my system and they are from the Asus Qualified Venders List (QVL) you can get the QVL from the Asus support page. I suggest that you check it when purchasing RAM for your motherboard.

I can recommend the Gskill RipJaws that are linked in Post#1 of this thread.
Unfortunately, I can't find Gskill ram at my location. What do you think about CORSAIR Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15? This sticks listed in Asus QVL.

Could you please also tell me is there any difference for hackintosh, if I use 2x16GB or 4x8GB sticks?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I can't find Gskill ram at my location. What do you think about CORSAIR Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15? This sticks listed in Asus QVL.

Could you please also tell me is there any difference for hackintosh, if I use 2x16GB or 4x8GB sticks?
The memory should work well if its on the Asus Z170 Deluxe QVL. As I mentioned I used Gskill's listed in the QVL simply as its recommended and proven to work. No difference for hackintosh using 2x16GB or 4x4GB. You can use 2x2GB, 2x4GB if necessary.

I went for the same ram as you did. :) by the way it's cheaper to buy on amazon.de.
Do you have any issues with your motherboard? I read that a lot of people experience similar issues with our motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back