Contribute
Register

Who here is from the Good Old PowerPC days?

Who here is from the Good Old PowerPC days?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
scruffydoo said:
Just out of curiosity how many people here were using the Mac back in the days when it was PowerPC running inside of the Macs instead of mojo from Intel?

I started in 1972 @ UCLA using punch cards on the mainframe with PLC.

Played ‘Hunt the Wumpus’ with friends @ UCI ~ 1973-74 via terminal and 150 baud modem.

Used Pharmacology training programs loaded via cassette in 1975 @ UCSF ( unknown system )

Bought a used Apple ][ with 16k of RAM and a single floppy drive in 1978, upgraded to 64k ( plugged in individual chips onto the MB… ) when I could afford it.

Have also owned…( a few were our kid’s machines ) Apple ][+, Apple][e, Apple ][c, Mac 512 (Fat Mac), Mac Plus, Mac SE, Mac SE/30, Mac II, Mac IIx, Mac IIci, Mac IIfx, Mac Quadra 900, Mac Quadra 950, Power Mac 7200, Power Mac 7500, Power Mac 8500, Power Mac G3 (beige), Power Mac G4, Power Mac G5, iMac G3, iMac G4, iMac G5 20”, iMac Core Duo 20”, iMac Core 2 Duo 20”, iBook G3, iBook G4, MacBook Core Duo, MacBook Core 2 Duo, MacBook Core 2 Duo (Black), PowerBook 17”, MacBook Pro 15” Core i7 (2010), MacBook Pro 15” core i7 Quad (2011), MacMini G4, MacMini Core 2 Duo, MacMini Core 2 Duo 2GHz, MacMini SL Server 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo.

I still have the Apple Developer Program floppies and CD’s starting from about the beginning of the Mac era.

iPod 1st gen 5GB model
iPod Photo 4th gen
iPod Nano 5th gen
iPod Touch 4th gen
iPad 2 ( my wife’s )

Hackintoshes: Started in 2010

EP45-UD3P ( LifeHacker Guide à Cartri BIOS à MultiBeast)
EP43-UD3L ( Cartri BIOS)
X58-UD5 Various methods before MultiBeast
X58A-UD3R - MultiBeast
Z68X-UD5-B3 - MultiBeast
Z68X-UD3H-B3 - Just got parts EDIT: Fully build and running 10.6.8 and 10.7.2 via MultiBeast
Z68M-UD2-B3 - Have the MB

Apple still makes the best laptops ( especially the current MBP and MBA ), MacMinis can’t be beat for a small size, low power ( and current models good horsepower.. ) server and TV control computers… ( IMHO )

My list makes me feel OLD.

EDIT: My first calculator was a Texas Instruments SR 10; it was called an 'electronic slide rule calculator'.

Rx4Mac

My first mac was a Power Computing PowerBase 180. Its an official licensed mac clone. It was 180 MHz PowerPC with 160mb of ram and 10g hd. Plus I was running a ram doubler.

I was born in 1990, to give you an insight to the time frame. Going through elementary school, we had our library and computer labs full of Mac power PC's of various models (Mostly the ones that were "all in ones", some towers though). Even our printers were all mac laser printers. They used to teach us typing and word processing with ClarisWorks, ah the good ole days. It is funny thinking back to it, when I never thought anything different about the macs, they were all just computers to me.

In middle school, our computer labs turned into tray and slot loading iMacs, lab looked like a rainbow inside. The teachers had the nice glossy transparent iMacs with the "no button" mice. As we just had the matte finish iMacs, very basic. Later in middle school, we were receiving eMacs in the library.

In high school, it was all PC's unfortunately. Old, busted, blue screen of death PC's and laptops. What fun...

I'm glad to see some universities have all Mac labs. My brother goes to Plymouth State University, and after he graduated this year, they bought all new 27 inch iMacs for the graphic design lab. Pretty Sweet. I hope more schools will stay, or change to macs. Much better experience.

Macintosh Plus back in 1986. I think it was running OS System 3.

Amstrad CPC (Did these ever make it over to the US?) then Commodore Amiga (500 then 1200).

Then one fateful day my older brother came home from University for the summer and showed me his Mac and Photoshop 3.0. His machine was a Powermac 6100/66, the very first PowerPC Mac if I'm not mistaken.
Power_Macintosh_6100-66.jpg

That was it, I've been Mac ever since. First one I owned was a Performa 6200 running System 7.x
I later upgraded to system 8 after acquiring a pirated CD-Rom in Bangkok when I was travelling at the age of 18. (I'm not condoning such things, I was young, travelling the world, etc, etc. I almost crapped myself taking it through Bangkok airport on the way out, thought I might be thrown in prison if they found it!) That OS8 CD saw a fair bit of Asia and had crossed even crossed part of the Himalaya's (by foot) before it wound up on my Performa. :)

From there was a Blue & White G3 then a few years later a 12" Powerbook G4.
I'm now on my Current iMac 20" Core 2 Duo - White G5 style case.

The next one will be (fingers crossed) a i5/i7 hackintosh!

I have a good old fashioned Titanium Powerbook G4 with a broken trackpad. I upgraded it, downgraded it and everything. It still runs Tiger, I only use it for compatibility purposes. I also have it able to backtrack to OS9.

Man I miss those days.

I used Apple II's in the early 1980's and we got the first mac (128k) in 1984. My mother worked for the computing center at Dartmouth College at the time and I volunteered to help with the mac distribution when they hit the college. Those 3 huge U-Hauls creeping up over the hill loaded with macs, printers, padded cases and everything. I have pics of them coming around the Green in Hanover, NH. I was also given a bunch of shirts from Apple to wear while we did it. I still have several.

The original 128k is stored at the moment and was eventually upgraded to a 512k (Fat Mac). The old SE/30 is upstairs in my bedroom closet.

The first computer I ever put my hands on was an Apple IIe at the company I worked for at the time. I didn't have my own Mac until I bought my first PowerBook back in 2001. That was a PowerPC and it was solid as a rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back