Contribute
Register

Who here is from the Good Old PowerPC days?

Who here is from the Good Old PowerPC days?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
how much floppy disks did we have to stick in that cube to install Photoshop 1.0? was it 16 disks? i just remember that it took half a day for an install ... :D

I started on my brother's Mac Classic and my first Mac was a B/W G3

Ghost762, were you active on the MacAddict Forums? What about Mac|Life? We might know each other.

I've been using Macs since 1995 (System 7.5). Since I started work in IT at an advertising agency.

1983 Acorn BBC Model B (7th birthday present)
1989 Acorn Archimedes A3000
1992 Intel DX2/50 (over-clocked to a DX2/66 with a single jumper!)
2000 Apple PowerMac G3 (beige)
2005 Apple PowerMac G4 Dual 1.25Ghz (MDD) IIRC this was the fastest Mac hardware capable of running

Since 1992 I have owned dozens of PCs. I currently have about 10 :oops: I use Windows and *nix (mostly Centos, Ubuntu, Solaris and OSX).

Lion is my preferred desktop OS these days.

I've got my original 128K Mac in the garage with the super fast 1200 baud modem and an Image writer.

back in the day when I went to Texas Tech... a friend of mine told me that the physics lab department was throwing away a blue and gray-ish power-mac.... in the g3 case..... and after looking at the dead mac it was apparent that the logic board was out and I could get a used g4 logic board and a 600 mhrtz power pc processor.... so long story short I was able to obtain the dead mac for 25$ set the board in for about 100.00 and i had a bad-@$$ power mac running OS panther and tiger. which is all i wanted... .. I call my raised from the dead Macintosh .... FRANKINMAC!!!!!. ( I still have it for old keep sake. the clear plastic handle and floor bars broke so i took them off.. it gave Frankinmac some character).I fire it up every now and then and it still works some ten years later. .ps i hated OS 8-9.... they were almost terrible... but when OSX came out it was the game changer for Apple

My path to IT as a career was set in motion by supportive parents that bought us Vic 20's and C-64's in middle school. A C-64 with a parallel printer attached via Grappler carried me through HS paper and SAT prep needs.

The bratty kid next door had II's and IIe's that we played with, and my lil brother had a TI-99/4a along the way as well.

Once in college someone gave me an original IBM PC, Model 5150 with full height floppies that I pimped out with a Hercules graphics card and NEC v20 CPU . Had fun connecting to the schools modem pool over the ROLM phones serial interface and ftp'ing and gophering to nowhere special. I then started assembling clones, an XT class, then 286 and 386sx's, etc etc.

Oh right, My first actual Mac was a PowerMac 8100 that my then employer plunked down on my desk and said learn it, you'll be supporting it next week. Good times, helping the helpless allocate memory to the Print Monitor so they could print complex documents, disabling extensions with the shift key, copying the system folder around to tshoot issues. Yeah it was kinda crappy, but Win 3.1 was a mess back then too.

So fast forward over a decade of assembling more PC's for that video capture and edit project that never happens and I decided I was tired of noisy hot running desktops, sold them all and got a white plastic MB C2D, an Al Unibody MBP.

Thing is you can't quit the assembling hobby with led to todays hackintosh.

Ahh powerPC... great old stuff. i own several old machines.

I also own the original Prince of Persia game (for os 7x) WHOOOOAAAAAA!!!!

Heheh... I think original Prince of Persia was for Apple ][
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5-06QnCHKY[/VIDEO]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back