Which GPU (3xHDMI + DP) for Mojave on Z270X Gaming 8 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 8
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
Intel > Need model name/number > See Forum Rules!
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi all,

I am running a Hackintosh with Z270X Gaming 8 (7700K), currently using Intel HD Graphics.

I'd like to use dual or triple monitors, and I can't get it working using the Intel HD Graphics, so I'd like to upgrade my Hack with a GPU now.
For I find the current info on GPUs quite confusing though, especially considering Mojave compatibility (I am still running High Sierra, but sooner or later I will upgrade to Mojave), and this is my first Hack, I am asking for your help here.

So I am now looking for a GPU that:

- is running smooth on Mojave
- supports 3 Monitors (at least, 1xDP if possible)
- not necessarily high performance (will not be used for gaming at all)

Can anyone give me advice on which GPU to buy for this build to keep things simple? Really appreciate your help!!!

All the best
Sebastian

No one? I know this might seem like I'm just too lazy to search on my own, but there are just some things I'm not quite sure about.
Like: may a Gigabyte Geforce be a better choice than any other brand, because I'm using a Gigabyte MB also, or doesn't that matter at all?
Are there NVIDIA drivers expected to come for Mojave, or is it rather likely there won't be any at all?

I'd really appreciate your help and if you could save me from trying out GPUs on my own, but profiting from your experience instead. Thanks everyone! :)

Best
Sebastian

No one? I know this might seem like I'm just too lazy to search on my own, but there are just some things I'm not quite sure about. Like: may a Gigabyte Geforce be a better choice than any other brand, because I'm using a Gigabyte MB also, or doesn't that matter at all?

Are there NVIDIA drivers expected to come for Mojave, or is it rather likely there won't be any at all?

I'd really appreciate your help and if you could save me from trying out GPUs on my own, but profiting from your experience instead. Thanks everyone! :)

Best
Sebastian

I don't know of a suitable card that has 3 HDMI and 1 DisplayPort inputs. In most cases the new cards are either 3 DisplayPort and 1 HDMI (like the Nvidia cards) or 2 DisplayPort and 2 HDMI (like my Sapphire RX 580). For lower class cards such as GTX 1050 and RX 560 there are 1 HDMI and 1 DisplayPort.

If you want to run Mojave, currently the AMD RX 560 / RX 570 / RX 580 is your best bet as they are natively supported under Mojave. There has been no indication that Nvidia is anywhere ready to release Mojave web drivers, and you may have to wait for months.

I don't know of a suitable card that has 3 HDMI and 1 DisplayPort inputs. In most cases the new cards are either 3 DisplayPort and 1 HDMI (like the Nvidia cards) or 2 DisplayPort and 2 HDMI (like my Sapphire RX 580). For lower class cards such as GTX 1050 and RX 560 there are 1 HDMI and 1 DisplayPort.

If you want to run Mojave, currently the AMD RX 560 / RX 570 / RX 580 is your best bet as they are natively supported under Mojave. There has been no indication that Nvidia is anywhere ready to release Mojave web drivers, and you may have to wait for months.

Hi

thank you very much for your reply!!
3 x DP and 1 x HDMI is just as fine as the other way around. So currently the RX 570 is my favourite, for I won't primarily use this machine for gaming, but need the outputs though. Actually crazy, to buy such a powerful GPU just for the outputs and Mojave compatibility :D but if it works all well in the end, that's totally fine :)
Wether buying the RX570 chip from Sapphire, Asus or Gigabyte shouldn't make a difference, right?

Best
Sebastian

Hi

thank you very much for your reply!!

3 x DP and 1 x HDMI is just as fine as the other way around. So currently the RX 570 is my favourite, for I won't primarily use this machine for gaming, but need the outputs though. Actually crazy, to buy such a powerful GPU just for the outputs and Mojave compatibility :D but if it works all well in the end, that's totally fine :)

Whether buying the RX570 chip from Sapphire, Asus or Gigabyte shouldn't make a difference, right?

Best
Sebastian

Theoretically there should be no difference, but since Apple recommends Sapphire Pulse for use in eGPU boxes, I would follow its recommendation to get a Sapphire.

Theoretically there should be no difference, but since Apple recommends Sapphire Pulse for use in eGPU boxes, I would follow its recommendation to get a Sapphire.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help! So the Sapphire RX 570 Pulse will be my choice, I guess.

Just one last question: Any reasons not to buy the 4GB Version ( https://www.mindfactory.de/product_...ulse-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1167543.html ) instead of the 8GB Version ( https://www.mindfactory.de/product_...Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Lite-Retail-_1228712.html )?
I'm asking, because there is only the 8 GB Version recommended at the Buyer's Guide. 4GB would be enough for my purposes, the Video Outputs are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back