Contribute
Register

What's the oldest computer you use on a regular basis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just acquired a really clean aircooled dual core G5 to take over running my legacy software so I'm packing up my 8600. It also ran my old SCSI scanner which I've just replaced too. I've had since 1997 and it's my last Beige computer.

End of an era.

(edit: Had an "Error Type 10" during the cleanout!)

Until about a month ago, I was using my home built PC every day. It was build in 2004, and has Dual Xeon CPUs running @ 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM and a Radeon 9800 Pro Graphics Card.

It still runs really quickly, but as it's only a 32 bit machine can't handle any up to date software, hence the new PC.

It now lives at my eldest daughter's house, where it is still used every day, as a general purpose PC / Media Centre.

Well I used this old thing when I was at my grandma's house 2 month's ago its still running great with a clean Windows 95 install.

Its a Toshiba 480CDT.

105473-20131006-124027917-ios.jpg

105475-20131006-124429378-ios.jpg

Rick,

Last edited by a moderator:
That I use regularly? Until a few weeks ago, it was my '08 Mac Pro, which was my daily driver desktop for about a year. I suppose now it is my '09 MacBook Pro - I have a few older ones lying around, but not ones that I use regularly.

Compared to some of you, my oldest computer isn't all that old. I have a Quicksilver G4 dual-800 to play older PPC games on. I got it for cheap because it had no RAM or HDD, but I had spare SDRAM and a spare IDE hard drive hanging around. GeForce 4Ti video card picked up on eBay to replace the old GeForce 2 (fastest supported OS9 card), with 1GB of memory. I wouldn't say daily, but I do probably use it weekly. It's running Tiger 10.4.11 because Leopard feels slow, plus it can natively boot OS 9.2.2 or run it in Classic.

After that there's a 1.42GHz eMac but I don't hardly use it.

My daily work driver is my Dell Latitude E5400 that has been upgraded with 4GB of ram, P8600 C2D and a 64GB SSD

Running Windows 8.1 Pro

Sadly can't run OS X because of the onboard GPU chipset is not supported...

Regular:
I have a 2006 Mac Pro with 4 160GB 10kRPM drives running in raid 0 that I use as my computer at work. Read times of nearly 500MB/s, and the mac itself cost me $280, I took the 2tb and 500gb drives out and put them in other machines. I got the 10kRMP drives on ebay for $10 a piece. It is displaying using an HP A7217A 24'' CRT monitor that still has the best picture of any monitor I have ever used.

Periodically:
A Mirror Drive Door Powermac G4 dual 1ghz running system 9. These machines run a special version of system 9, as they were re-released as an alternative to the G5 for people who still needed to run system 9 natively. I use it with a 21'' CRT apple studio display (absolutely magnificent picture to this day). I use it to play my old games and run the old familiar Holiday Lights program by tiger tech during christmas time.

A custom-built PC with a intel 486 processor @ 100MHz, 16MB of memory (was 8 when purchased) 1MB graphics and a whooping 3GB Quantum HDD. It's running a windows 95, and mainly used for gaming, cause it's the only pc i have that plays audio on the original NFS :headbang:

I've got a ton of old 68k Mac stuff in my collection that we use quite extensively. My kids like the old school games like NetTrek and Dark Castle. The parent in me likes that they can use the computers without getting on the internet (technically possible but REALLY hard). And I have a SE/30 that I use to configure Cisco routers! Machines that run every day!

In my collection I have at least one of: Mac Plus, Mac SE, Mac SE/30, Mac II, Mac IIcx, Mac IIci, Mac IIx, Mac IIfx, PowerBook 100, 140, 170, Duos: 210, 230, 270, 280c, 2300 + docks. Various other accessories. Plus I have about 2GB of old Mac files sitting on my file server using AppleTalk to Ethernet converters to give everyone access.

Attachments

• IMG_0910.jpg
    IMG_0910.jpg
    652.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1073.jpg
    IMG_1073.jpg
    647.3 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1999.jpg
    IMG_1999.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 158
Another one bites the dust.
My 8600/250 just died. Power supply, I think. I used it mainly to move things between the network and 800k floppies for my old SE. It also occasionally demonstrated Rhapsody to visitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back