Contribute
Register

What's the oldest computer you use on a regular basis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonymacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
423d1042033159-new-17-lcd-powerbook-9jobs3.jpg
I use an old PowerBook 12" from time to time for nostalgia's sake, however I do not use it daily/weekly. What's the oldest computer you use on a regular basis?

[video=youtube;Xvbuwfawqcc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvbuwfawqcc[/video]

I use the G4 Cube with OS 9.2.2 on a weekly basis because...well, I can. :lol: I use Classilla for a web browser. (The Classillia site is down for now.) I will post pictures of my actual unit later.

power-mac-g4-cube-219v-800.jpg

My college campus has a bunch of pre-hyper threading pentium 4 machines (so roughly 2000-2004) that I use since I no longer have a decent laptop and their better Core 2 machines dont have the software I need on them. Couldn't tell you the exact specs, but I can say they're quite slow and really test your patience. That they're being made to run Windows 7 doesn't help.

My college campus has a bunch of pre-hyper threading pentium 4 machines (so roughly 2000-2004) that I use since I no longer have a decent laptop and their better Core 2 machines dont have the software I need on them. Couldn't tell you the exact specs, but I can say they're quite slow and really test your patience. That they're being made to run Windows 7 doesn't help.

The Windows 7 part of that is really rough.

One of the jobs I work at is food service at a zoo. Most of the restaurants have a desktop PC in them for ordering product and scheduling and such. They are all old IBM Think Centers. I don't remember the exact specs, but they're P4s, with something like 768 MB of RAM. They run XP, so it's fine for the most part, except that they are all pulling a lot of user data from the network, and some are very far from the servers. I've clocked one of them at five minutes from POST to Windows login screen.

I still use my PowerMac G5 to rip DVDs, twice a week.

I have my brother-in-laws old "duo-dock" that I breakout about once a month, after he died I decided to keep it running just to remember. It works great no issues at all, once I cleared the p-ram the first time I fired it up. Gives me good reason to buy a Mac.

I use my Compaq Presario V5000 as it doesn't want to die, 2005 I upgraded it to max out the ram at 2GB and renewed the battery. Still has the original 80GB hard Drive. I have ran Linux on it and back to XP which is currently installed. Its still a pretty efficient web browser.

Yet the oldest Computer that I own is a ZX spectrum+ that was bought for me as a child. I still like the games I played as a kid like Manic Miner, Beachy head.

[video=youtube;MZYuGUCrkoU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MZYuGUCrkoU[/video]

I use my Mac Pro 1,1 2006 on a daily basis. I upgraded it to 2x Quad Core 3.0GHz Xeons and 16GB ram plus a nice Apple HD5770 and wow, it runs amazing considering its from 2006 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back