Contribute
Register

What the 2013 Mac Pro will really look like with external accessories...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who knows, maybe instead of three enclosures we'll see just one thunderbolt enclosure with options for 5.25" devices and for internal 3.5" HDD's and who knows what else all rolled up in one. Thunderbolt 2 is a bad MF!

Count me in the category of, "I laughed, but tempered it with reality." The reality is my Hackintosh (built with a Cooler Master CM 690 series case) has a printer, router and two external drives connected to it (three drives if it had Thunderbolt). Whether I end up buying the new Mac Pro or build a better Hackintosh, I'm still going to use all of these external devices since they still function properly. Aside from a potentially better cost/benefit ratio, the only advantage I see right now for going with a newer Hackintosh would be transplanting the internal blu-ray burner from my current Hackintosh.

If the new Mac Pro ends up selling well, and becomes popular, Apple and other manufacturers could create new external devices that mount to the cylinder, or maybe a housing that will fit the unit plus some accessories. Maybe the Mac Pro could fit on or inside one of these and end up looking more like the old Mac Pro.

I've thought of that as well, but I'm also wondering newer housings can be made to improve upon something like Virginia Tech's HokieSpeed:
Virginia-Tech-Apple-Mac-Supercomputer.jpg

Yup, just external disk drives because you can't fit anything in the new mac pro.

THIS is not me trying to start an argument.

is this comment based on fact? if so i wanna see it out of interest not disagreement :)

I am a video professional. I built a Hackintosh. In it I have:
1 SSD drive with my operating system and apps
1 SSD drive for video and render scratch
1 2TB drive for itunes
1 2TB drive for working files
2 internal sata hard drive docks
1 dvd drive

And they are all necessary. Everything is in 1 box. with 1 power cord. and I have 2 PCI slots available. Wheres my clutter?

MAc Pro 2013 = epic fail

I can see the issue some might raise with the new MacPro but as most have said Apple will basically push everyone ahead some will be kicking and screaming and complaining and there are some who will happily move along. They've done it since the Apple II days. The biggest "kicking and screaming" event was the original iMac and no floppy drive which was a brand new concept that set the design world on it's ear just like this MacPro. For me when I get my new MacPro my existing MacPro will become the storage area for any data not needed on my new one and hold all it's current drives. The only external drive I'll need will be the TimeMachine drive and if I need a DVD-ROM for anything I'll use the "remote disk" option after it is enabled through terminal in Mavericks. I use that option on my Sawtooth build when I need to read a disk.

For those who are doing the kicking and screaming, settle down, it's not the end of the world.

I've thought of that as well, but I'm also wondering newer housings can be made to improve upon something like Virginia Tech's HokieSpeed:
Virginia-Tech-Apple-Mac-Supercomputer.jpg

What is with that picture link?

I am a video professional. I built a Hackintosh. In it I have:
1 SSD drive with my operating system and apps
1 SSD drive for video and render scratch
1 2TB drive for itunes
1 2TB drive for working files
2 internal sata hard drive docks
1 dvd drive

And they are all necessary. Everything is in 1 box. with 1 power cord. and I have 2 PCI slots available. Wheres my clutter?

MAc Pro 2013 = epic fail

Just because the new mac pro isn't for you doesn't make it an epic fail.

Just because the new mac pro isn't for you doesn't make it an epic fail.

+1 The new MP is outstanding in every way. I hope that other manufacturers come EVEN come close to such a Masterpiece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back