Contribute
Register

What have you done/plan to do with retired hackintosh hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Mac Studio - Mac13,1
CPU
M1 Max
Graphics
32 Core
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
What have you guys done/plan to do with the hackintoshes that you've retired?

I've donated my Dell 9020 to a friend's 8 yr old daughter, she always wanted a Mac!. I installed Monterey 12.5.1 and everything is still working, which makes me happy. I gave my AMD B550, Ryzen 7 1700 and RX560 to my 8 yr, he's a Brick Rigs fan. I don't think I can part with my mods listed in my sig below though.

I will often clean install Windows 10 Pro and list them on the local Craigs List site. I don't ask for much money for them. If you list them as free, people show up that are just looking to resell them and make a profit. Good to help people out in need of a reliable working PC. Lot of people are struggling to make ends meet with inflation still ramping up. I asked the last person that showed up what they had been using. He said an old 2008 desktop running Windows 7 that was so slow you'd wait forever just to open up a web page in the browser. Was no way it could run Win10 and be at all usable.

Last edited:
I donated one to Computers for Africa, but that was a few years ago now. I've given a couple to family members but the rest I break and sell the parts, usually on Ebay when there's a fee-deal going on, or, hate it though I do, Facebook Marketplace. Currently only have one Hack and two Macs, with a box of spare parts too.

I gave away my Gigabyte Z390 build to a friend with Monterey and Batocera installed.

I'm having difficulty parting with my Asus Z370 build because, in my eyes, it was perfect in so many ways. Unfortunately, age and progress caught up to it...

I still have my HP ProDesk 400 G6 on my desk but I haven't booted it up in weeks because my Mac Studio does everything I got it for so much better.

I trashed my Optiplex 3050 tower because felt it was pretty worthless. I still have my Optiplex 3050 SFF that I plan to play around with Proxmox on. I would've liked to do it on a Raspberry Pi, but due to supply chain issues they have been difficult to find and scalpers are selling them for ~$200 now. That's more than these Optiplexes are worth.

I still have my Latitude 3450 laptop and it runs perfectly, but feels very sluggish now with Monterey installed... I guess that's one of the pitfalls of getting accustomed to the extreme snappiness of a modern system...

I have wiped and sold some in the past, but most of mine are custom case mods, so they have sentimental value to me. If there is a Free Geek or PCs for People in your area, they usually take donations of working and non-working computers as well as parts.

I am currently in the collection phase, not the reduction phase. I have over 30 'in the works', recently purchasing several 3020 Micros, 9020 Micros, Mini-STX and NUCs. Of course I am always many generations behind.. still running 61 series up to 170 series... have not even touched the newer stuff yet so I have many more years to hack.

recently purchasing several 3020 Micros, 9020 Micros
Prices on these have gotten quite good lately. Would love to see an Opti Micro guide. I've not purchased one of those.

I have wiped and sold some in the past, but most of mine are custom case mods, so they have sentimental value to me. If there is a Free Geek or PCs for People in your area, they usually take donations of working and non-working computers as well as parts.

I am currently in the collection phase, not the reduction phase. I have over 30 'in the works', recently purchasing several 3020 Micros, 9020 Micros, Mini-STX and NUCs. Of course I am always many generations behind.. still running 61 series up to 170 series... have not even touched the newer stuff yet so I have many more years to hack.
@phunguss, is that a 40pin eDP connector board inside the 9020 Micro?.
Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 11.24.46 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back