What build problems can I expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I am in the ending stages of buying parts for the following build:

Gigabyte GA-Z270N-WIFI
i5-6400
ASUS GTX750

I have already acquired all the critical parts I need for this build except the motherboard and I would like to ask this before purchasing my motherboard while i still have *some* flexibility left with what i buy. I have read various things about people having issues with core macOS features such as iMessage, Wifi, Bluetooth (and related handoff/continuity features), sound .etc. Since this is my primary build, I would like to ask the experienced community what problems i should expect when following tonymac' instructions for a Clover/macOS Sierra install and how to fix/remedy them upon first setting up my machine.

I would go with an I5-7400 instead of the 6400. There is no reason to buy the older I5 at this time. Get the Kaby Lake version.

We have many User Builds and Desktop Guides for you to read before you begin. Someone who has used the same hardware tells you of their experiences with it, what they did to resolve issues and what you can expect to happen when you install on the same system. Find one that uses the same motherboard and read it carefully before you start installing macOS.

Here's a desktop guide for Sierra on the H270N-WIFI, the install will be the same on your Z270N as of today. Some things will be different once 10.12.6 hits public release so watch for that too.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-series-board-with-kabylake-processor.218494/

I would go with an I5-7400 instead of the 6400. There is no reason to buy the older I5 at this time. Get the Kaby Lake version.

We have many User Builds and Desktop Guides for you to read before you begin. Someone who has used the same hardware tells you of their experiences with it, what they did to resolve issues and what you can expect to happen when you install on the same system. Find one that uses the same motherboard and read it carefully before you start installing macOS.

Here's a desktop guide for Sierra on the H270N-WIFI, the install will be the same on your Z270N as of today. Some things will be different once 10.12.6 hits public release so watch for that too.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-series-board-with-kabylake-processor.218494/
Hi. thanks for. the advice on the CPU, however i have already purchaced all the critical parts for this build except the motherboard. Would a different CPU make much of a difference in the macOS install process? i've heard you have to change some CPU ID's when using Kaby Lake CPUs

Hi. thanks for. the advice on the CPU, however i have already purchaced all the critical parts for this build except the motherboard. Would a different CPU make much of a difference in the macOS install process? i've heard you have to change some CPU ID's when using Kaby Lake CPUs
That is only temporary, there will be Kaby Lake CPU support in 10.12.6 then you won't have to do that.
You can use the 6400 with a Z270 motherboard but you lose some features so it's not ideal in that regard.

That is only temporary, there will be Kaby Lake CPU support in 10.12.6 then you won't have to do that.
You can use the 6400 with a Z270 motherboard but you lose some features so it's not ideal in that regard.
you said lose some features, what features would this be?

i looked up the H270N-WIFI motherboard and its a good $20-30 cheaper than the Z270N-WIFI from amazon. depending on funds and ability to sell this current CPU quickly, i might just get the newer CPU. i can survive with XMP memory in a non-XMP system right? or will i need to get a new cpu immediately before my build wil work?

Yes, go with the H270N and an I5-7400. If your ram is 2400 Mhz it should run at 2400 MHz in a Kaby lake system. The H270N has XMP support. You need the Kaby Lake cpu for 2400 MHz support.

Yes, go with the H270N and an I5-7400. If your ram is 2400 Mhz it should run at 2400 MHz in a Kaby lake system. The H270N has XMP support. You need the Kaby Lake cpu for 2400 MHz support.
Will my current RAM (2400 with XMP) run in the H270N with the i5-6400? It doesn't have to be full performance it just needs to work until I can find the funds for both the MOBO and the CPU upgrade.

Will my current RAM (2400 with XMP) run in the H270N with the i5-6400? It doesn't have to be full performance it just needs to work until I can find the funds for both the MOBO and the CPU upgrade.
Yes, it should work. Skylake and Kabylake aren't much different. Ram will run at 2133 MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back