Contribute
Register

Well, this is scary "Your Computer Isn't Yours"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great video and thanks for the info. Very strangely I use vypr vpn, it has worked great up until Big Sur came along. Now if I try launch the program the computer reboots. I have been talking to the people at vypr and they have updated the app but it still has issues. After watching your video I decided to try launch the app with internet disconnected, and bingo! it worked and runs and functions fine! A coincidence? Very strange.... any thoughts from some of you people more in the know?
ps. forgot to mention that once the app was running I plugged ethernet lead back in and quickly connected the vpn!

224-2243199_iphone-emoji-facepalm-man-clipart.png.jpeg

One more time...

Apple is not in the business of selling personal info. Apple is not Google or Facebook.

Blocking that URL only disables the built-in malware protection of macOS.

My guess is most people are worried that the data is not encrypted, and potentially can be collected by people other than Apple, and these people are in the business of selling personal info, or some big brother agency that stores this data to use it against us at some point in time. And some feel disrespected by Apple for doing this without clearly informing them (is probably stated in some small print somewhere).

My guess is most people are worried that the data is not encrypted, and potentially can be collected by people other than Apple, and these people are in the business of selling personal info, or some big brother agency that stores this data to use it against us at some point in time. And some feel disrespected by Apple for doing this without clearly informing them (is probably stated in some small print somewhere).
Funny thing about all this the people that want to steal information will steal it encrypted, on a secure server, etc. Feel disrespected all you want bottom line thief's are thief's and cyber criminals are super smart thief's. It is kind of like the old adage "Locks only stop honest people". Most of the time when I go somewhere I do not have anything of value in my car so I do not lock it! Why you might ask yourself? Because broken windows suck. By the same token there is nothing stored on my computer of any value. Bank accounts, Credit cards, etc. those are all insured my SS number I do my best to never allow it to be processed on the internet. But as the credit agencies have shown us even their security is not enough to keep people from stealing you SS number. Bottom line nothing is safe, not if it connects to the internet.

From the link trs96 provided:
Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 1.29.24 AM.png

Source:https://blog.jacopo.io/en/post/apple-ocsp/

Check the link and look at the data that's transmitted. I can't think of any reason why anyone would be concerned. Listen to those a-hole sand the only thing you will be doing is weakening the security of your OS for no reason. That should be much more of a concern than the OCSP data.

Blocking from a DNS level only leaves all your Apple devices vulnerable.

Last edited:
Good news, Apple has responded and said they will now encrypt the data transmitted during the Gatekeeper ocsp check and give end users the option to opt out of it.
Notarization checks if the app contains known malware using an encrypted connection that is resilient to server failures.

These security checks have never included the user’s Apple ID or the identity of their device. To further protect privacy, we have stopped logging IP addresses associated with Developer ID certificate checks, and we will ensure that any collected IP addresses are removed from logs.

In addition, over the the next year we will introduce several changes to our security checks:
  • A new encrypted protocol for Developer ID certificate revocation checks
  • Strong protections against server failure
  • A new preference for users to opt out of these security protections

See the PPC video for details.

Last edited:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491. Published Date: November 16, 2020

Am I reading it right? So they were collecting IP addresses, and the data was not encrypted. So there was no misunderstanding after all (just not collecting our user ID only, yay! er... do they really need it?).

Now after someone called Apple out on it, "over the the next year" (Apple is sounding nervous, even stuttering now :p

i.e. only in 1 year's time with the next Mac OS, they will plan to change it, in the mean time, they will continue doing what they were doing, to continue collecting IP addresses and transmit it as unencrypted data...

Damn it Apple, you should collect my user ID (touch ID) too, with the time and location Apple can't be my alibi. That would be cool if you can tell the police in the future, "my computer can prove my innocence" lol

Thank you everyone for sharing the information, it was very educational =)

ps. forgot to mention that once the app was running I plugged ethernet lead back in and quickly connected the vpn!
I'm pleased to say after much to and fro ing with the tech team at Vypr vpn the root cause has been found and , its not Apples fault! Nothing untoward going on. It turns out that Vypr clashes with the new version of Little Snitch , which I also run.Uninstalling Little Snitch cures the crashing ..... so now I'm hoping they can come up with a workaround so I can continue to use both!Ps.Im not anti Apple and will probably give in and buy a genuine Mac when my Hack becomes obsolete... the prices , innovation and benchmarks have persuaded me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back