Contribute
Register

weird dots on top of the screen, HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.
make sure u have UEFI GOP Nvidia GTX 660 firmware on your board.

First, many thanks to xpamamadeus again!

just one thing i want to make sure is my graphics card. my EVGA gtx 660 has been okay with older clover builds. fully supported UEFI booting so I don't think my card needs to get the UEFI gop update.

one thing I think weird is that I just tried to get my old clover EFI backup(successful build..buildl1717 i guess) and put it in the EFI partition on my hackintosh. I'm seeing exactly the same weird color dots on the screen. I disabled all legacy boot methods and forced it to boot by UEFI drive. What would be the problem? hmmm..

ps) after the removal of csm-something drv. file, the color dots look bigger, which means lower resolution mode.(with that driver, booted with 2560x1440 and now 1920x1200ish..)

bars.jpg

You need CsmVideo if your Graphics card is not flashed GOP and you are booting UEFI . You don't not have to flash the card just to run Clover...

What are you talking about? I boot UEFI and have an old HD5870 with no GOP or even a chance of putting GOP on it and I don't use that CsmVideo module. Thats only for adding more resolution modes.

You need CsmVideo if your Graphics card is not flashed GOP and you are booting UEFI . You don't not have to flash the card just to run Clover...
not true.
he dont need that driver for nothing other that full screen support under clover,but for him like many others there are dots on screen and this driver take about 10sec to do his work soo its slow booting with this.
This driver can too make sleep/wake problems.
Its better to avoid this driver at any cost.
UEFI gop vga bios its erquired to run board in UEFI mode,and that give us a secureboot and faster boot times.

just to make it clear...

the reason i mentioned the old clover (r1717) was because the EFI folder backup was up and running perfect last summer. since the newest builds are causing the weird dot issues to me, I tried put the old ones into the EFI but the same crap on the screen now. pretty weird. I haven't any firmware/bios update for this hardware set except my crucial m4 SSD...

You two fight it out! I only know what works for me...

What are you talking about? I boot UEFI and have an old HD5870 with no GOP or even a chance of putting GOP on it and I don't use that CsmVideo module. Thats only for adding more resolution modes.

UEFI gop vga bios its erquired to run board in UEFI mode,and that give us a secureboot and faster boot times.

You two fight it out! I only know what works for me...
This isnt battlefield to fight :crazy:
I just try help people to resolve their problems when i can.
I say everything he need to doo to solve his problem.
All hee need to do its to update vga bios and set right mobo bios settings and dots on screen will gone
nothing more.
Clover can run UEFI with and without Csmvideo but without we dont have right screen resolution.
For his praticular mobo its best that he have vga flashed.
He say that he didnt update bios of mbo and vga but he wanna run UEFI without problem,soo tht his problem.
All UEFI support come from firmwares soo its his choise if he wanna go againts that...

This isnt battlefield to fight :crazy:
I just try help people to resolve their problems when i can.
I say everything he need to doo to solve his problem.
All hee need to do its to update vga bios and set right mobo bios settings and dots on screen will gone
nothing more.
Clover can run UEFI with and without Csmvideo but without we dont have right screen resolution.
For his praticular mobo its best that he have vga flashed.
He say that he didnt update bios of mbo and vga but he wanna run UEFI without problem,soo tht his problem.
All UEFI support come from firmwares soo its his choise if he wanna go againts that...
No problem... She has various options to fix her problem, all being very simple. If you followed her last 50 post or so you'll see that she doesn't bother following guides or advice, she reads a guide, follows part of it, and ignores what she doesn't understand. Then post it doesn't work...

You post that GOP bios is required, PJALM says not so. I don't really care, I've only used GOP flashed cards with Clover. I do remember now that I used the CMS driver to get 2560X1440 in Clover GUI so my earlier post regarding CMS was in error.

I don't have a horse in the race, I really don't care if her crap works, so I'm out of here. No disrespect to you personally...

No problem... She has various options to fix her problem, all being very simple. If you followed her last 50 post or so you'll see that she doesn't bother following guides or advice, she reads a guide, follows part of it, and ignores what she doesn't understand. Then post it doesn't work...

Thanks to both of you guys! Here's the thing. My question began with the UEFI compatible firmware update.......As I mentioned earlier, my GTX 660 was fully supporting UEFI booting with clover r1717. and what I do remember is that Clover bootloader recently changed the XML grammar on config.plist...So when i decided to go back to Clover, the EFI backup that I created for r1717 was no longer useful(as a reference)...

So, if the GOP firmware update is really essential to use the recent clover bootloader, I'm happy to do that, but it seems like the firmware version of my card was up to date OOB since I got it Jan 2013...(the firmware update was released on Dec 2012.

If I'm totally wrong, please let me know how to get to the point. Sometimes newbies tend to ignore directions, but they're actually just too retarded to follow the instructions..:oops:

I'm diggin' more and more and finally found some posts regarding the firmware update.(do i have to email my gc venders to receive the firmware updater...? i guess it should be somewhere else so i can directly get it..) will do this and keep you guys posted. thanks a lot!

Thanks to both of you guys! Here's the thing. My question began with the UEFI compatible firmware update.......As I mentioned earlier, my GTX 660 was fully supporting UEFI booting with clover r1717. and what I do remember is that Clover bootloader recently changed the XML grammar on config.plist...So when i decided to go back to Clover, the EFI backup that I created for r1717 was no longer useful(as a reference)...

So, if the GOP firmware update is really essential to use the recent clover bootloader, I'm happy to do that, but it seems like the firmware version of my card was up to date OOB since I got it Jan 2013...(the firmware update was released on Dec 2012.

If I'm totally wrong, please let me know how to get to the point. Sometimes newbies tend to ignore directions, but they're actually just too retarded to follow the instructions..:oops:
Clover configuration was upgrade/changed in r2000 if I remember correctly. You can find the new guidelines here. If you have access to a GOP bios for your card from the manufacturer, by all means go for it. With that said, there are 10's, 100's, and 1000's of people booting Clover UEFI without flashing their video cards...

EDIT: Both EVGA and MSI require going to Customer Support and provide your Serial# and request the GOP bios for your card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back