Contribute
Register

Vostro 3xxx series - Installation and dual boot guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup I'm on 64 bits and I still working on adding functionality on Hybrid Vostros in Lion, thats why I have so few kexts (i.e. my bluetooth is not working yet but i'm achieving a few things in the graphics field) also yes, there is a way to check for 32 only or 64 bits kexts, very simple in fact.

click the apple logo, then before clicking over "about this mac", press alt key and select "system information", go down to "software" and then "extensions", there you can check wich kexts are loaded and wich ones are 64 bits.

You can check if you are booting in 64 bits in the "software" section (64-bit Kernel and Extensions).

Please tell me if this is clear, because my english is very messy when I'm having headaches =_= (my spanish isn't better either)

necrum said:
Yup I'm on 64 bits and I still working on adding functionality on Hybrid Vostros in Lion, thats why I have so few kexts (i.e. my bluetooth is not working yet but i'm achieving a few things in the graphics field) also yes, there is a way to check for 32 only or 64 bits kexts, very simple in fact.

click the apple logo, then before clicking over "about this mac", press alt key and select "system information", go down to "software" and then "extensions", there you can check wich kexts are loaded and wich ones are 64 bits.

You can check if you are booting in 64 bits in the "software" section (64-bit Kernel and Extensions).

Please tell me if this is clear, because my english is very messy when I'm having headaches =_= (my spanish isn't better either)

Hi necrum,

Don't worry, your english is very clear :)

I actually found an easier way(i think) for checking which kexts are 32 bit and/or 64bit here :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=232860

Download the script and run it. Check out the results for my current E/E folder as well as the ones you uploaded. As you can see my current E/E folder is 32bit only so no wonder i can't boot in 64 bit mode.

Code:
VOSTROTOSH:Downloads Adi$ perl parsekexts.pl /Extra/ExtensionsAppleACPIPS2Nub.kext	KEXT	1.0.0d1	i386=1	x86_64=0
AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext	KEXT	2.3.5b17	i386=1	x86_64=0
AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext	KEXT	2.1.1b7	i386=1	x86_64=0
AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext	KEXT	1.5.3	i386=1	x86_64=0
AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext	KEXT	1.1	i386=1	x86_64=0
AppleUSBEthernet.kext	KEXT	2.1.0	i386=1	x86_64=0
AppleUSBGigEthernet.kext	KEXT	1.2.0	i386=1	x86_64=0
AppleYukon2.kext	KEXT	3.1.14b1	i386=1	x86_64=0
DellBluetoothHCI.kext	KEXT	1.2	i386=1	x86_64=0
fakesmc.kext	KEXT	2	i386=1	x86_64=0
Intel82574L.kext	KEXT	1.0.4b1	i386=1	x86_64=0
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext	KEXT	1.0.0d2	i386=1	x86_64=1
nvenet.kext	KEXT	1.0.73	i386=1	x86_64=0
VoodooBattery.kext	KEXT	1.3.3	i386=1	x86_64=0
VoodooPS2Controller.kext	KEXT	1.1.0	i386=1	x86_64=0
VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext	KEXT	1.1.0	i386=1	x86_64=0
VoodooPS2Mouse.kext	KEXT	1.2.0	i386=1	x86_64=0
VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext	KEXT	1.1.0	i386=1	x86_64=0

VOSTROTOSH:Downloads Adi$ perl parsekexts.pl /Users/Adi/Downloads/64_bit_kexts/EE_Lion
ACPIMonitor.kext	KEXT	1	i386=1	x86_64=1
AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext	KEXT	1.0.15	i386=1	x86_64=1
AppleUSBGigEthernet.kext	KEXT	1.2.0	i386=1	x86_64=0
AppleYukon2.kext	KEXT	3.1.14b1	i386=1	x86_64=0
FakeSMC.kext	KEXT	3.1.0	i386=1	x86_64=1
Intel82574L.kext	KEXT	1.0.4b1	i386=1	x86_64=0
IntelCPUMonitor.kext	KEXT	1.0	i386=1	x86_64=1
F718x.kext	KEXT	1	i386=1	x86_64=1
IT87x.kext	KEXT	1.0.0d1	i386=1	x86_64=1
PC8739x.kext	KEXT	1	i386=1	x86_64=1
W836x.kext	KEXT	1.0.0d1	i386=1	x86_64=1
SuperIOFamily.kext	KEXT	1.0.0d1	i386=1	x86_64=1

VOSTROTOSH:Downloads Adi$ perl parsekexts.pl /Users/Adi/Downloads/64_bit_kexts/64_bit_SL/EE
AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext	KEXT	1.0.15	i386=1	x86_64=1
fakesmc.kext	KEXT	1	i386=1	x86_64=1
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext	KEXT	1.0.0d2	i386=1	x86_64=1

VOSTROTOSH:Downloads Adi$ perl parsekexts.pl /Users/Adi/Downloads/64_bit_kexts/64_bit_SL/SLE
AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext	KEXT	1.0.0d1	i386=1	x86_64=1
DellBluetoothHCI.kext	KEXT	1.2	i386=1	x86_64=1
RealtekR1000SL.kext	KEXT	2.0.0d1	i386=1	x86_64=1
VoodooPS2Controller.kext	KEXT	1.1.0	i386=1	x86_64=1

Speaking of the bluetooth, make sure you use the DellBluetooth.kext from S/L/E from minihack's SL pack as that one supports 64 bit as per my script output above :)

Regards,

Adi

Hello All! Occasional lurker, first time poster.

I have a Vostro 3700 ( i7-720qm, GT 330 M, Ordered in July 2010). I would like to install a Win 7 /SL dual boot, with an ultimate aim to upgrading to Lion if and when I feel the need.

I have purchased and extra HDD Drive caddy as mentioned by Minihack in one his posts in the beginning. Is it possible to do the following.

1. Install OSX on the 2nd HDD and get it to dual boot with Win 7 which will be on the primary HDD.
2. Would I need to swap in the HDD into my primary bay as to make use of the DVD Drive for installing OSX or can I somehow make an installer through USB.

I do not want to re-install Windows as it will take me a long time to bring my system back to its current working state.

TIA

PS Would like to add that I don't have much experience with Hackintosh and my only prior experience was installing Leopard on my Lenovo IdeaPad s10 (Which was a great success!)

dafreaking said:
Hello All! Occasional lurker, first time poster.

I have a Vostro 3700 ( i7-720qm, GT 330 M, Ordered in July 2010). I would like to install a Win 7 /SL dual boot, with an ultimate aim to upgrading to Lion if and when I feel the need.

I have purchased and extra HDD Drive caddy as mentioned by Minihack in one his posts in the beginning. Is it possible to do the following.

1. Install OSX on the 2nd HDD and get it to dual boot with Win 7 which will be on the primary HDD.
2. Would I need to swap in the HDD into my primary bay as to make use of the DVD Drive for installing OSX or can I somehow make an installer through USB.

I do not want to re-install Windows as it will take me a long time to bring my system back to its current working state.

TIA

PS Would like to add that I don't have much experience with Hackintosh and my only prior experience was installing Leopard on my Lenovo IdeaPad s10 (Which was a great success!)

Hi Dafreaking,

Welcome.

I'd recommend that (just for the install process) you take out your Windows HDD and put the blank one in place of it. Then do the install as normal using a bootcd and the Install DVD. Once that is done you can then put the windows HD back in the usual place and put the new OSX HD into the optical bay caddy. It means you have to press F12 at start up to choose the OSX HD, but that's not exactly hard and is a small price to pay for not having to mess about with your Windows install.

You can make a USB installer if you really want, but by the time you have got around to doing that it will have been quicker to just do it by swapping the drives around.

Good luck.

Thanks for that.

I was under the impression that the USB install would be faster. I shall try your guide on the front page and report back on progress.

Hello again,

After cloning my HD, i have decided to resume testing in order to get my laptop booting in 64bit mode which is a precursor to getting rid of the nullcpu kext under lion.

So far, i combined unix86's extensions with minihack's and i managed to boot up in 64 bit mode.

I have however 2 problems :

1) Touch pad doesn't work.
2) The System Profiler crashes when i try to read the Power info.

I'm attaching my E/E folder. If any of you guys/gals have any idea how to fix those 2 issues, i will be happy to hear them :)

Thax,

Adi

Attachments

• Extensions 64bit.zip
    545.5 KB · Views: 75
Quick question.

Instead of using 10.6.3 Retail. Can I use the 10.6.7 Disc that came with my brothers MacBookPro
(Please let me know if this violates this forums policy)

So that didn't work. After a few tries managed to install 10.6.3

I think I screwed up the steps so now stuff doesn't boot at all.

1. Didn't update to 10.6.8
2. Ran Chameleon before Multi-Beast.

So now system no longer boots with iBoot or by Chameleon. Chameleon causes a kernal panic with weird graphics and iBoot is stuck on the TonyMac logo.

One positive. I had full resolution graphics (1600*900) So I guess my Graphics are supported.

Do you recommend that I install the latest combo update and then proceed with Multi-Beast + Chameleon? AND, just to be double sure is this the correct procedure.

On first boot apply ComboUpdate-> Run MultiBeast (Selecting the 3700 dsdt.aml)-> REBOOT ->Apply Kexts -> REBOOT

I followed what I posted earlier and on reboot after the entire procedure I get bad graphivs and no keyboard + trackpad.

Please help.

Guys. Is this the procedure I should follow (Sorry for posting again and again but this seems quite frustrating) In exact order.

A. Use OpenSuse to extract DSDT.
1. Use iBoot to install 10.6.3
2. After initial OSX set-up. Apply the latest Combo-Update (10.6.8)
3. Patch my extracted DSDT using DSDTse in the 2nd post of this thread. (Should I apply all the patches?)
4. Use Multibeast with my patched DSDT.
5. Re-Boot
6. Copy the Extra folder and place the newly patched DSDT (which was on the desktop for MultiBeast) in that folder
7. Using KextUtility install the 6 kexts
8. Apply the HDA rollback.

I don't need to use Chameleon to dual boot, so do I need to install Chameleon or will Chimera be sufficient to boot into OSX?

I purchased Lion on August 25. It's now September 18 and still didn't manage to install.
I first had problems with partitionning and found solutions.
Lion needs a "Mac OS X Extended Journaled" partition , HFS+ with GParted Live is not good enough.
There is a trick in Disk Utility : point to partition and in menu File => Enable Journaling
Partition then becomes HFS+ journaled !
Couldn't install Mac OS X Lion Installer (volumes where greyed).
Solution : leave an non allocated space (128 MB at least) at the end of your "Lion" partition.
You can then install on the partition.
Ran xMove to put the Mac OS X Lion Installer in the Installer partition.
Things get harder.
I reboot on installer partition and get a kernel panic with AICPUPM.kext so i put back NullCPUPM.kext.
I reboot again and get another kp with IOACPIFamily so i put modified versions of AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext in S/L/E as advised by Adisor.
I reboot again and got this message :

BootCache Control : bad playlist magic
could not unlink playlist to open /var/db/bootcache.playlist
DSMOS has arrived

it just hangs there !
Maybe i have a permissions problem, but in Disk Utility i have no access to repair permissions on the installer partition.

TonyMac's tutorial is misleading for Lion. Things are not that easy.
Hackintosh is a struggle !
Will stick to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 for the moment, working beautifully on my Vostro.

Guess what ?
finally installed Lion on my Vostro :D
10.7.1 is running.
My method was an upgrade. I will try to make a short tutorial for my method :
Cloned Snow Leopard on another partition then upgraded.
I need to fix the sound (AppleHDA rollback needed, no problem for me, will just swap to earlier version).
No more Battery in menu bar since AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext gives me kp !
i have to remove it from /Extra/Extensions. Has anyone a solution for this ?
No speedstep so far, i need to patch AppleIntelCPUPM and move NullCPUPM.
i'm a bit confused with this reversed scrolling on the mouse !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back