Vostro 3xxx series - Installation and dual boot guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
unix68 said:
Guess what ?
finally installed Lion on my Vostro :D
10.7.1 is running.
My method was an upgrade. I will try to make a short tutorial for my method :
Cloned Snow Leopard on another partition then upgraded.
I need to fix the sound (AppleHDA rollback needed, no problem for me, will just swap to earlier version).
No more Battery in menu bar since AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext gives me kp !
i have to remove it from /Extra/Extensions. Has anyone a solution for this ?
No speedstep so far, i need to patch AppleIntelCPUPM and move NullCPUPM.
i'm a bit confused with this reversed scrolling on the mouse !!!

I'm using Voodoo Battery and I patched the AppleIntelCPUPM - I've attached both.
For sound I haven't had any luck with AppleHDA but I've managed hack a version of VoodooHDA to get sound working but the volume control isn't working except from the VoodooHDA preferences. Interested in getting AppleHDA working if anyone has some ideas.

Attachments

• VostroLion.zip
    183.7 KB · Views: 78
If anyone is still listening.

So i got it to boot. didn't apply any combo update as yet. Ran MultiBeast UserDSDT and Chameleon.

With my patched DSDT i do not have any usb or QE/CI (Resolution is correct however 1600*900 after i made that change in the boot.plist)

When I use the dsdt from the vostropack i get USB back. However this shows no battery and their is no QE/CI

I'm using Voodoo Battery and I patched the AppleIntelCPUPM - I've attached both.
For sound I haven't had any luck with AppleHDA but I've managed hack a version of VoodooHDA to get sound working but the volume control isn't working except from the VoodooHDA preferences. Interested in getting AppleHDA working if anyone has some ideas.[/quote]

I was having the same probs with the volume slider until i`ve found this workaround :thumbup:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=28608
hope it helps you !

one more thing - in case your sound is chopy and you have to activate USE SSE2 with every
reboot - this posting was the solution for me -- viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24211

toberone said:
unix68 said:
Guess what ?
finally installed Lion on my Vostro :D
10.7.1 is running.
My method was an upgrade. I will try to make a short tutorial for my method :
Cloned Snow Leopard on another partition then upgraded.
I need to fix the sound (AppleHDA rollback needed, no problem for me, will just swap to earlier version).
No more Battery in menu bar since AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext gives me kp !
i have to remove it from /Extra/Extensions. Has anyone a solution for this ?
No speedstep so far, i need to patch AppleIntelCPUPM and move NullCPUPM.
i'm a bit confused with this reversed scrolling on the mouse !!!

For sound I haven't had any luck with AppleHDA but I've managed hack a version of VoodooHDA to get sound working but the volume control isn't working except from the VoodooHDA preferences. Interested in getting AppleHDA working if anyone has some ideas.

for AppleHDA just run Multibeast 4.0 (Lion Edition) and check AppleHDA rollback 10.6.2
Run KextUtility afterwards and reboot.
You should have sound working.
For me sound ok !
Power Management ok !
still need to seek right text for BatteryManagement 64bit
The strange thing is Chameleon 1.4.1 boots in safe mode (don't know why)
with boot flags : -v rd=dsik0s3
So it's much longer to boot than Snow Leopard.
And still this BootCacheControl problem, but i can boot. I have read that some Apple MacBookPros face this problem too !
Maybe there will be a fix in 10.7.2 version...

dafreaking said:
If anyone is still listening.

So i got it to boot. didn't apply any combo update as yet. Ran MultiBeast UserDSDT and Chameleon.

With my patched DSDT i do not have any usb or QE/CI (Resolution is correct however 1600*900 after i made that change in the boot.plist)

When I use the dsdt from the vostropack i get USB back. However this shows no battery and their is no QE/CI

If your Vostro is non Optimus (before July 2010) you should have QE/CI working with kexts from Minihack, otherwise, i don't think someone found a solution yet.
For battery, it is sometimes a bit tricky. Search for my DSDT in this topic and compare with yours using tools like DSDTse.
Good luck.

I have a non-optimus board for sure. I get 1600*900 and always get QE/CI if I boot with iBoot. Currently on 10.6.3

If i apply the 10.6.8 combo update do I need to run Multibeast and Chameleon or just Multibeast.

Once I apply the Combo-Update and Run Chameleon, it logs me out but is never able to log me back in. Endless Loop.

I also have GraphicsEnabler=Yes in my boot.plist

Hello everybody, it's my first post here and I honestly need your help. I have Dell Vostro 3300. I have tried to use iBoot, iBootVostro, EmpireEfi etc and my problem is that I can't even boot them: I insert a disk with ibootvostro and wait disk to load, but it will load endlessly(black screen with white blinking _ ). I have selected ECHI properly in BIOS, but no results. I have managed to install Mac OS succesfully on Ordi and HP laptops, but on my own Dell I can't even see a boater screen :( .

I hope you can help me and sorry for my English. I will really appreciate any suggestions.

kadig67 said:
Hello everybody, it's my first post here and I honestly need your help. I have Dell Vostro 3300. I have tried to use iBoot, iBootVostro, EmpireEfi etc and my problem is that I can't even boot them: I insert a disk with ibootvostro and wait disk to load, but it will load endlessly(black screen with white blinking _ ). I have selected ECHI properly in BIOS, but no results. I have managed to install Mac OS succesfully on Ordi and HP laptops, but on my own Dell I can't even see a boater screen :( .

I hope you can help me and sorry for my English. I will really appreciate any suggestions.

Hello kadig67,
What are you trying to achieve ? Install Snow Leopard or Lion ?
lastest iBoot version should work on your Vostro. it takes time to find the right one for your computer. Sometimes iBoot doesn't launch very well. Keep trying.

dafreaking said:
I have a non-optimus board for sure. I get 1600*900 and always get QE/CI if I boot with iBoot. Currently on 10.6.3

If i apply the 10.6.8 combo update do I need to run Multibeast and Chameleon or just Multibeast.

Once I apply the Combo-Update and Run Chameleon, it logs me out but is never able to log me back in. Endless Loop.

I also have GraphicsEnabler=Yes in my boot.plist

What you need is to install Chameleon (Chimera) at the root of your Snow Leopard partition. If you follow Minihack's guide, use Multibeast to install necessary kexts, osx86 tools and a bootloader. Once the bootloader is installed, you don't need iBoot anymore.
You can check the bootloader is installed with show all files. You should see Chameleon.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-09-26 at 20.54.54.png
    Screen shot 2011-09-26 at 20.54.54.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 179
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back