Contribute
Register

Vostro 3xxx series - Installation and dual boot guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
unix68 said:
kadig67 said:
Hello everybody, it's my first post here and I honestly need your help. I have Dell Vostro 3300. I have tried to use iBoot, iBootVostro, EmpireEfi etc and my problem is that I can't even boot them: I insert a disk with ibootvostro and wait disk to load, but it will load endlessly(black screen with white blinking _ ). I have selected ECHI properly in BIOS, but no results. I have managed to install Mac OS succesfully on Ordi and HP laptops, but on my own Dell I can't even see a boater screen :( .

I hope you can help me and sorry for my English. I will really appreciate any suggestions.

Hello kadig67,
What are you trying to achieve ? Install Snow Leopard or Lion ?
lastest iBoot version should work on your Vostro. it takes time to find the right one for your computer. Sometimes iBoot doesn't launch very well. Keep trying.

Trying to install Snow Leopard. Iboot just doesn't start loading. Have tried almost all available versions, I believe.

Try the iVostro boot ISO that minihack posted in the first pages of this topic. I think there might be 2 - 3 versions on here for you to try. That's how i got mine to boot and be able to install.

Adi

adisor19 said:
Try the iVostro boot ISO that minihack posted in the first pages of this topic. I think there might be 2 - 3 versions on here for you to try. That's how i got mine to boot and be able to install.

Adi

Maybe he's burning the iso files in a wrong way (burning the iso file directly instead of restoring the file to a cd/dvd), kadig67 have you tried to boot from a usb stick instead??

I think that ISO burning is done correctly, because I am able to boot from this disks on other computers(or may I be wrong??). Booting with USB stick sounds a good idea, but can you suggest any software for restoring iso on usb stick?

I have used ImgBurn for writing to disks.

Hello Adi & Necrum,
I just wanted to know which booloader version you were using for Lion 10.7.1
And what kernel flags ? i'm using :
-v rd=disk0s3
i specify root device since i have snow leopard on disk0s2.
I am using Chimera 1.4.1.
I tried upgrading to Chimera 1.5.4 but got a kp on AICPUPM.kext ! so i downgraded.
From what i understand, Chimera 1.4.1 boots using Extensions.mkext from
System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext
in Lion Extensions.mkext is replaced by kernelcache.
That's probably why Chimera loads all kexts from S/L/E !
The BootCache control : could not open /var/db/bootcache.playlist : file not found
might not be hackintosh related.
Maybe it is a Lion bug.

unix68 said:
Hello Adi & Necrum,
-v rd=disk0s3
I tried upgrading to Chimera 1.5.4 but got a kp on AICPUPM.kext ! so i downgraded.
The BootCache control : could not open /var/db/bootcache.playlist : file not found
Maybe it is a Lion bug.

Hi unix68,

I'm using the latest version of Chimera 1.5.4 since i wanted my FaceTime working :D

I also got a KP with AICPUPM.kext so i just installed the non patched version back. I haven't got a chance yet to refine my new experimental 64bit E/E folder so i can't test the speedstepper patch for the time being under Lion. Because of this, i don't have P-states currently working.

I am not using any kernel flags whatsoever. I'm booting straight into Lion.

Adi

not happy with Lion 10.7.1 so far.
tried again to upgrade bootloader to Chimera 1.5.4
this time gave me a kp with ACPI platform (so downgraded again to Chimera 1.4.1)
I probably forgot to check an option in Multibeast 4.0.2 (PCI configuration in boot options ?)
I have a slow boot because i cannot use kernelcache and chimera loads all drivers from S/L/E !
i tried to add in boot.plist
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
but Lion doesn't boot and hangs at some state.
I seem to be the only one with bootcache.playlist file missing
also noticed following error :
nstat lookup entry failed :2 (network related ?)
I wonder if Parallels Desktop 6 is causing problems in Lion.
if i cannot fix these issues, i might go for a clean install, not an upgrade.
Glad that i kept Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on a separate partition !

unix68 said:
Hello Adi & Necrum,
-v rd=disk0s3
Maybe it is a Lion bug.
Hi unix68, sorry for not posting earlier, but i'm very busy right now, I just came to share my boot.plist, wich is very simple in fact

Code:
<dict>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>"Graphics Mode"="1600x900x32@60" -v</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>device-properties</key>
	<string></string>
</dict>

Maybe during the weekend I can help a little more, that's all I can offer ATM :(

Edit: I'll give you my patched aicpupm for lion later to see if that works

Hey guys, I finally managed to get my vostro 3550 working on Snow 10.6.8 using the intel graphics, but I'm still running at full power so the battery is getting hammered.... has anyone sorted the cpu throttling issue yet with these laps? is it just a matter of editing DSDT? im not using a dsdt.aml atm.

Thanks

P.S. I read the note on the first page about reading though the posts first, but i'm lazy :p and the last update to the first post was some months ago now... so i was hoping for some progress that has not been updated :)

On a side note... i just tried to install the voodoops2.pkg to get my trackpad to work... big fail... now i've lost my 2nd usb port and my keyboard is not working... screwed something in the usb up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back