Contribute
Register

Video(DRM?) causes System freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there,
I just finished my Hackintosh with a clean High Sierra install. So far everything seems to be right, got even sleep through patched DSDT working. Only big issue is that videos (HTML5 on Safari (Youtube HD), iTunes trailer) causes System freeze. So it seems to be DRM related. I inject through Clover shiki and wathevergreen with lilu but this won't help at all. My mouse keep working but nothing else only power button shutdown helps.

I just read about this problem from Intel graphics but I'm using an AMD graphics and have iGPU deactivated in BIOS.

Anyone else have this problem or have a solution for that? In Sierra I had not any problems like this so it seems related to that.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Only big issue is that videos (HTML5 on Safari (Youtube HD), iTunes trailer) causes System freeze

If issue only occurs in Apple apps, other video playback apps normal, problem may not related to DRM.

I just read about this problem from Intel graphics but I'm using an AMD graphics and have iGPU deactivated in BIOS.

Seems to be no problem in High Sierra, just enable IQSV for video decoding without framebuffer connectors, should not caused PAVP frozen, by using empty frame ig-platform-id, IQSV work very well with AMD GPU, may be helpful. Even unsupported GT1, IQSV can work correctly with empty frame ig-platform-id, such as 0x19120001.

See below link
https://www.applelife.ru/threads/zavod-intel-quick-sync-video.817923

Attachments

• YouTube HD playback.png
    YouTube HD playback.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 800
Thanks for your reply. I tried all variants from this tutorial but I only get AMD only working, which causes freezes. When I only start with the IGPU it seems loading up but then everything shut down and the computer restarts(kernel panic?)... Not sure why this is happening. Tried many options but this happens every time. On Sierra I hadn't any problems about that.

So I was experiencing the same issue. If I played video content and did anything even vaguely intensive at the same time (but not necessarily?) such as playing a game or even just using VNC to connect to a server it'd cause my system to freeze.

Interestingly enough, with the iGPU disabled it doesn't do this. Will check the previously posted link and report back.

Last edited:
When I only start with the IGPU it seems loading up but then everything shut down and the computer restarts(kernel panic?)... Not sure why this is happening.

Need IGPU + AMD GPU (tested with HD510/530/610/630/ + RX460/HD7750/HD6450/HD5570)
Enable IGPU, but set PEG as primary in BIOS, use empty frame ig-platform-id 0x19120001 for HD510/HD530, need lilu + whatevergreen.kext, if use shiki.kext, add shikigva=2 for AMD GPU.

upload_2017-9-29_12-38-38.png

Run attached file to verify GVA info, if everything ok terminal output should show

GVA info: Successfully connected to the Intel plugin, offline Gen9

Hardware acceleration is fully supported

logout

Attachments

• VDADecoderCheckerSierra.zip
    6.4 KB · Views: 241
On Sierra I hadn't any problems about that.

May be caused by AMD VDA rendering.

In Sierra, most of the AMD GPU did not have Hardware acceleration in video playback therefore need IGPU assistance, including HD7750, RX460. In High Sierra most AMD GPU have full Hardware acceleration. You can check it with VDADecoderCheckerSierra.

Have exactly the same issue (I am on nVidia). Any ideas how to resolve it? I have PEG as primary and iGPU enabled with 64MB memory allocated. Here are some screenshots of my config.

Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 21.17.04.png Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 21.17.17.png Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 21.17.22.png

Experiencing a full system freeze on macOS 10.13.3, Safari 11.0.3 after exiting YouTube full screen, then closing the tab, then clicking the menu bar. If iTunes is playing at the time then the song plays to end but next track does not play. Can SSH in and system appear to be running its like the GPU is just not updating the screen. AMD Radeon 560D / Intel i7 6700. Lilu, WhateverGreen, Apple ALC, IntelGraphicsFixup. Found a video of the same issue:

Experiencing a full system freeze on macOS 10.13.3, Safari 11.0.3 after exiting YouTube full screen, then closing the tab, then clicking the menu bar. If iTunes is playing at the time then the song plays to end but next track does not play. Can SSH in and system appear to be running its like the GPU is just not updating the screen. AMD Radeon 560D / Intel i7 6700. Lilu, WhateverGreen, Apple ALC, IntelGraphicsFixup. Found a video of the same issue:

Yea I have the same issue. It happens with random apps for me and under random amounts of load

I'm running a different setup however: 8700k + RX 580

Just to let you know I resolved my issue by improving my install to have Quick Sync enabled. And the main step being correcting the platform ID to the one for IGPU + Discrete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back