Contribute
Register

UtterDisbelief KL - Z270 Gaming K3, i3-7320 4.1ghz, Radeon RX560 2GB, 16GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
UtterDisbelief, FYI. MultiBeast v9.2 has options to load Lilu.kext, WhatEvergreen.kext, and the WhatEvergreen app. See the MultiBeast v9.2 Features document, pages 7-8, which comes with MultiBeast v9.2.

Hi @Stork

Thanks for pointing that out. I confess that because I'd only ever used MultiBeast 9.2.1 when I had a Nvidia GPU, I hadn't noticed the additions. I see them now and Lilu at v1.1.6 included which is the minimum for 560 recognition along with WhateverGreen. In my first attempt I had used version 1.1.5 which wouldn't load WhateverGreen for the 560.

My bad! :)

Hopefully my update is still of use to those using a recent AMD GPU for the first time. Plus it confirms that a helper-card or iGPU is no longer needed to get to the desktop.

:)

Last edited:
UtterDisbelief, FYI. MultiBeast v9.2 has options to load Lilu.kext, WhatEvergreen.kext, and the WhatEvergreen app. See the MultiBeast v9.2 Features document, pages 7-8, which comes with MultiBeast v9.2.

That's too easy, not enough sense of accomplishment when you can do it the hard way, lol!

I had noticed the Whatevergreen addon but wasn't sure about the lilu and whether it was one of the most current. This stuff is moving fast with these 2 kexts, some really great things happening by the developers and many more cards added with each update.

Another big consideration is when making the bootloader Sierra 12.6 is much different from the older versions so if someone has 12.5 these auto fixes won't work until updating to 12.6 for specific cards like the rx 560-550.

Update: P.S

As follow-up to my Radeon Adventure above it's worth pointing out that HDMI audio is working without any other mods. Just noticed the option was there for the first time in the Sound, System Preferences panel, clicked on it and audio started playing through my monitor speakers.

Less positively, the Windows side of the dual-boot damaged the macOS SSD once more. As mentioned previously the use of an HFS driver seems to be allowing certain Windows software to unwittingly damage the Mac partition. I've had to format and rebuild the system yet again. Luckily I'd done a good back-up so it was just a case of reformatting and checking the destination SSD before copying everything back. However I will remove the Windows HFS driver and not use one again, instead relying on a shared external drive in exFAT format. Like last time I did need to complete security checks for my AppleID to reinstate it. I also lost iTunes and Parallels activations again.

Continuing onwards and upwards.

Last edited:
Update - the High Sierra install

Thanks to everyone for their help elsewhere on the forums, I've now taken the plunge and installed High Sierra after watching how easy or hard others were finding it over the last month. Truth is, it wasn't straight-forward as MultiBeast 10 isn't out yet, so I had to take a hybrid approach. But I got there.

My choice was to do a fresh install on a new SSD so that if things went badly I could easily revert to Sierra.

Okay here are the steps I needed to take:

1) Follow the guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.235474/

If, like me, you were keen to try the new Apple file system - APFS - I can only offer my own experiences. I found the new disk ID structure - disk0s1, disk0s2 etc - has been altered. For example my HS SSD was at disk3s1 when I first installed. I expected the EFI partition to therefore be at disk3s0. It was actually at disk2s1 instead. Something to do with a 'Container" used for the APFS system. This might have been why Clover wouldn't install to the ESP and just failed repeatedly. In the end I unmounted any other attached drives and tried again. Still no go. So I decided to go back, re-partition, and start again using the HFS format instead. UniBeast 8 has a special script to allow this on an SSD which is in the thread.

When you get as far as Step 4, section 9, f in the above, the guide assumes you'll be running MultiBeast 10 next. Because it's not yet released, here's what I did -

Reboot using the UniBeast stick and then choose the drive with the HFS Clover icon and a black Apple label - not any of the others with a High Sierra icon attached. Highlight it and you'll see the name of your destination drive. This is the correct one to complete your install.

Next the system will reboot. Mine gave me a progress-bar with 18-minutes to complete, but immediately rebooted once more; then it soft-booted (black screen with white Apple logo) a couple of times before the installer progress-bar returned and things settled down, finally completing the process.

At the final reboot I chose Safe Mode from the Clover boot Options because I still had my Radeon RX560 in place and figured it wouldn't be recognised yet. Once at the High Sierra desktop (I can confirm not choosing Safe Mode results in a black screen), not much was working at this point - no sound, ethernet or graphics acceleration. So...

2) With no MultiBeast 10 to help, and Clover release 4268 unable to create a new EFI folder tree for me, copying across my old Sierra EFI folder seemed a logical way forward.

For every build I back-up my EFI folder - it's easy and quicker than a full SSD clone (though you should still do this regularly to mitigate any major problems). For me, these back-ups act as a handy restore-points while experimenting. So check your disk ID using Terminal and "diskutil list" and then run EFI_Mounter_v3 to mount the EFI partition. Drag your Sierra EFI back-up into it.

3) For Ethernet use KextBeast to install the AtherosE2200E.kext to Library/Extensions. Again I copied this from my Sierra install, although it is in the MultiBeast package as well (see below).

4) for Audio - open MultiBeast 9.2.1 using the Show Package Contents right-click option, Contents, Resources. Find the Clover_ALC1220.pkg file and copy it to your desktop. Run it. For me this worked fine with my old Sierra config.plist. No need to run any extra scripts, this did the job easily. I still have Internal Speaker output via the green port to my powered desktop speakers AND HDMI output to my monitor's speakers.

5) for the Radeon Graphics I copied the latest Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext into the HS EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder, over the older ones already there.

https://github.com/vit9696/Lilu/releases
https://github.com/vit9696/WhateverGreen/releases

I'm still using System Definition iMac14,2.

That's the hardware sorted.

I hadn't signed-in to iCloud during installation and had turned-off my wi-fi to stop any unwanted activations or conflicts until I had the system up and running properly. The serial/board numbers from Sierra were still in there and verified. I didn't want any lock-outs occurring. Once I decide to swap to High Sierra permanently I'll turn-on the wi-fi and log-in.

So in summary, for me the upgrade wasn't exactly straightforward. I'm glad so many others are reporting it's been easy for them, but very many are finding it difficult. Hopefully the work-arounds I've highlighted might help someone with similar hardware.

Audio Screen Shot.jpg

Last edited:
Good job! :thumbup: MultiBeast 10 will reduce the pain you, unfortunately, had to endure. However, MultiBeast 10 has not been a simple upgrade as in the past. The experiences you had are being addressed in MultiBeast.

Good job! :thumbup: MultiBeast 10 will reduce the pain you, unfortunately, had to endure. However, MultiBeast 10 has not been a simple upgrade as in the past. The experiences you had are being addressed in MultiBeast.

Thanks @Stork :) I can well believe building a new MultiBeast has not been an easy job for the team. So many hardware variables!

Last edited:
Hi @UtterDisbelief ,

I have the same motherboard and I'm trying to generate the SSDT with the Piker's script, but like you I had an error with a Board-Id. Could I ignore these warning? I don't want break anything, but I think that I can.

You can check the full explanation here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/ssdt-warnings-ssdtprgen-sh-for-intel-i7-7700.236301/

Thanks for this guide and explanations! Really usefull. :thumbup:

Hi @Aerz

Really glad you found the guide useful.

Yes you can ignore the warning. To be safe you will see from my description when generating the SSDT I made sure I temporarily changed the System Definition to a Kaby Lake one - 18,1-2 or 3 - so that I had a valid Board ID, then I put this in my config.plist and used the Terminal script to create a Kaby-Lake specific SSDT:

Code:
sudo ~/ssdtPRGen.sh -target 5

The "-target 5" bit is the Kaby-Lake definition.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back