Contribute
Register

UtterDisbelief CL - Z370M-D3H, i3-8350K, RX560, 16GB, High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, yes that’ll be what it is, excellent- I’ll look at this tomorrow night. Will just have to decide which port to sacrifice.

Thanks for the pointers.

S

Hi UtterDisbelief

I have quite the same build but I keep running into some problems with my wifi and sleep/wake.
Would you mind sharing your EFI folder with all patches?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
Update to macOS High Sierra 10.13.4

I approached this with some concern because the update thread here was buzzing with the problems caused by it.

I waited for a while after downloading the combo Apple updater (it hasn't appeared in my Mac App Store over here in the UK yet) and kept reading ...

The most common concern seemed to be USB 3.0 ports not working. Happily this has been resolved with a new config.plist patch for which the details are here (thanks @bogdanw ). The other - duplicated iGPU detection - doesn't apply because the Auto BIOS setting turns off the iGPU when a discrete GPU is detected.

So to prepare for the update I pre-edited my config.plist to add the extra code. Then took my chances and installed.

I'm happy to report everything went ok. The only thing not working after the process was complete, was motherboard audio. There was no device present. To fix I just ran MultiBeast 10.2 and re-installed the main Realtek ALC892 patch again (the other patches are already present in config.plist so no need to duplicate them).

Sound returned.

About.jpg

Note the Lilu/Whatevergreen fix is still in place and working and I'm currently using the 1.1.4 version of Whatevergreen. There were *no* RX 560 problems at all. You'll also notice it is now recognised completely correctly too. Because of this I will experiment with rebooting without the kexts and if it comes to light they are no longer needed etc. will edit this post accordingly.

:)

Edit:

As promised I've experimented with various options and it *seems* the RX 560 is now recognised natively. I removed the two kexts - Lilu and Whatevergreen AND set RadeonDeInit to False in the config.list.

Just about everything works with one exception and the card is recognised correctly in About this Mac. The one exception is that without the two kexts HDMI audio isn't available. With, it is.

This feels like a real break-through for the RX 560 and there is now a thread dedicated to using one. :thumbup:

Last edited:
April 2018 Rebuild and Update:

I decided to rebuild UtterDisbelief CL so that I could change orientation of the drive cage, upgrade the GPU and change CPU cooler. Everything else stayed the same.

First up, as we know only too well, GPU prices have risen, along with memory, but I was able to pick up a Gigabyte RX 560 OC Gaming 4GB card for not very much more than I sold the previous 2GB model variant. The intriguing thing is that the new card does not need a power-supply lead, whereas the 2GB model did! You have to make sure you get Version 2.0 of the card though or you may still find you need extra power.

For cooling I reverted to an old favourite pairing of a Zalman CNPS11X heatsink and a Noctua NF-P12 fan. For me the mount and build quality is better than the BeQuiet BK009 I was using because of the BeQuiet's very flimsy aluminium fins. The Zalman is much sturdier and perhaps larger. It's getting hard to find though as the design must be nearly 10-years old now.

Although I'm still awaiting some new SATA cables to tidy up inside, here is the latest:

Lian-1.jpg

Also had to replace the DVD-RW drive as my trusty old Pioneer finally gave out. Replaced it with an ASUS.

H there UtterDisbelief,
I'll be building this soon and it will be my first attempt:
- Gigabyte Z370M-D3H M-ATX
- Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake
- Gigabyte Radeon RX 560 4GB
- Antec C40 CPU Cooler
- Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4
- 960 EVO 1TB NVMe SSD
- 850 EVO 500GB SSD
- Western Digital 1TB HDD
- Antec 550W 80+ Power

May I ask you if you will share your EFT folder and config.plist with me. I will be very appreciative if I can use that as a starting point for the installation.
Kind regards.

H there UtterDisbelief,
I'll be building this soon and it will be my first attempt:
- Gigabyte Z370M-D3H M-ATX
- Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake
- Gigabyte Radeon RX 560 4GB
- Antec C40 CPU Cooler
- Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4
- 960 EVO 1TB NVMe SSD
- 850 EVO 500GB SSD
- Western Digital 1TB HDD
- Antec 550W 80+ Power

May I ask you if you will share your EFT folder and config.plist with me. I will be very appreciative if I can use that as a starting point for the installation.
Kind regards.

Hi there.

I've published the hard part - the USB port definition table - earlier in the thread and all other settings are shown at various places, so just use those as you build/install, that way your own system is specifically "yours". The iMessage serials and UUIDs are meant to be unique so you'll need to generate your own for that to work and be activated by Apple etc. :thumbup:

Where my configuration differs substantially is in the type of SSD. I don't have NVMe so you'll need to do the extra work for that.

Hi there.

I've published the hard part - the USB port definition table - earlier in the thread and all other settings are shown at various places, so just use those as you build/install, that way your own system is specifically "yours". The iMessage serials and UUIDs are meant to be unique so you'll need to generate your own for that to work and be activated by Apple etc.

Thank you, will work through the setup.

Thanks for this guide, especially the USB Port definition which helped me get started with the same mobo (different case).

One question: how come your 'About this Mac' pane is showing iMac (Retina 5K, 27 inch, late 2015) when your SysDef is iMac 14,2 ? I'm using that 14,2 for my sys def but About this Mac reports iMac (27-inch, late 2013) and the Processor (which is an i7-8700K) shows up as '3.7 Ghz Unknown'.

It'd be nice to get that reported correctly as the i7. I'm using Nvidia Web drivers with a GTX 1050 (which shows up fine incidentally)

Thanks for this guide, especially the USB Port definition which helped me get started with the same mobo (different case).

One question: how come your 'About this Mac' pane is showing iMac (Retina 5K, 27 inch, late 2015) when your SysDef is iMac 14,2 ? I'm using that 14,2 for my sys def but About this Mac reports iMac (27-inch, late 2013) and the Processor (which is an i7-8700K) shows up as '3.7 Ghz Unknown'.

It'd be nice to get that reported correctly as the i7. I'm using Nvidia Web drivers with a GTX 1050 (which shows up fine incidentally)

Hmmm, interesting problem.

I've just rechecked for you and here's a confirmation grab -

about.jpg

You are correct though. The sys-def for the above should be 17,1 and your own system is correct for 14,2

Checking back to my previous build - a Kaby Lake with Nvidia GTX 1050 and i3 4.1ghz 2-core - and the About this Mac read the same 5k 2015 model.

Not sure what is going on here. I've certainly documented all mods I made during the build. Perhaps the change occurs because of a patch in the config.plist, fooling the system somehow? Logically it's not the GPU or the USB port definition. That leaves sound and network, but they are straight from MultiBeast.

If I can spot what's causing the difference i'll let you know.

Update: macOS High Sierra 10.13.5

I downloaded the combo installer from Apple and set it running. First off it decompresses the files then reboots. Once back at Clover's boot menu select the left-most icon - Install macOS etc - not the middle one which will be booting into your old 10.13.4 installation. (Note: I am not currently dual-booting so only macOS is installed).

You will probably get another reboot back to the three-icon menu after a minute or so. Choose that left-most install icon *again*.

The progress bar now arrives telling you something huge like 48-minutes to install, but on an SSD this is more like 5-minutes.

Third time lucky another reboot and only 2-icons this time. Boot as usual.

No sound is installed at this point so run MultiBeast 10.3 and select Drivers/Audio/ALC892 by ticking the box. Do NOT tick any of the patches lower down as they should already be installed in your 10.13.4 build.

Reboot finally and sound should be back. All working as before but with 10.13.5 showing:

About-1.jpg

Also note, USB 3.0 is running at the correct speeds too. Others have reported problems, but I've not experienced them.

All done :thumbup:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back