Contribute
Register

UtterDisbelief CL - Z370M-D3H, i3-8350K, RX560, 16GB, High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Utter, thanks for putting this together, did you run a GeekBench on the I3 yet? Also i assume you can use the onboard intelGPU (630 i think) if i dont want to add a dedicated for now.

Hi there.

I hadn't run any benchmarks before but that's a good idea for other builders so here is the main result for CPU. I think this is a fair score for an i3? Bear in mind I'm currently running the memory at 2133mhz instead of 3000. So far general performance has been very acceptable indeed. Cool and quiet too.

GB1a.jpg

I *did* try the iGPU at the beginning but stumbled in pretty much the same way as I had for the Whatevergreen kext - I couldn't get IntelGraphicsFixup installed in the EFI in Safe Mode. Again with the same hindsight I mention above I could have put it, along with Lilu, in L/E instead :rolleyes:. Having two perceived problems I concentrated on sorting the RX560 as my priority and haven't revisited UHD630.

Incidentally I notice Intel spec the iGPU as UHD630 in the 8-series and only HD630 in the 7-series.

:)

Last edited:
Do you have your CPU identified by macOS? I purchased the same motherboard and got 'Unknown CPU' at About this Mac window for an i5-8600K using macOS 10.13.3.

Do you have your CPU identified by macOS? I purchased the same motherboard and got 'Unknown CPU' at About this Mac window for an i5-8600K using macOS 10.13.3.

Hello.

Yes, it is fine.

I haven't updated to 10.13.3 yet, I'm still on 10.13.2 but for my i3 here is how it is detected:

About.jpg

About2.png

As you can see, using SysDef iMac14,2.

Not sure that helps. I've read that a few other people have had this problem. Perhaps it is worth ensuring you have the latest version of Clover installed and that for your config.plist, the "PluginType" box is ticked under the "ACPI section/SSDT/Generate Options" (if you are using Clover Configurator, otherwise do it manually). Also, don't try overclocking.

Okay, the problem might be the system definition because I use iMac18,3 (with latest Clover & PluginType flag)...
Interesting because in this thread, toleda rocommends iMac18 sys def for processors with HD630 graphics. :confused:
Seems like HD630 not equals to UHD 630!

Very fustrating... I have the exact same motherboard with BIOS F4, tried number of config packs, also I'm doing Hackintosh installs since 10.7 Lion so I'm familiar in the topic but with this Coffee lake build I'm stuck...
No matter what I set in sys def, (e.x. iMac 14,2) I got Unknown CPU for an i5-8600K.

Can you please post your EFI folder or just the config.plist without your smbios identifiers?
Thank you in advance!

Very fustrating... I have the exact same motherboard with BIOS F4, tried number of config packs, also I'm doing Hackintosh installs since 10.7 Lion so I'm familiar in the topic but with this Coffee lake build I'm stuck...
No matter what I set in sys def, (e.x. iMac 14,2) I got Unknown CPU for an i5-8600K.

Can you please post your EFI folder or just the config.plist without your smbios identifiers?
Thank you in advance!

BIOS F4 should be fine (it was for me) however there is now an F5e version released on the 22nd Jan. I've tried it and see no difference, but it might help.

Ok, because I have nothing very unusual in this build I've included two screen-shots of the directories in EFI so you can compare yours with them.

Also there is "config.txt" which is my config.plist with the SMBIOS section removed. Note: the "Arbitrary" key is related to my AMD RX560 GPU. There is a lot of extra code at the top. This is because I originally used the UniBeast default config.plist (as I mention in my build description). I have not removed the extras yet because that helped with the initial USB problems. If you use Clover Configurator it will strip these out.

Kexts.png

Drivers64.png

Hope this all helps :)

Attachments

• config.txt
    6.2 KB · Views: 380
Thank you!
Some black magic is going on.. still got Unknown CPU with your config file, using an iMac 14,2 sys def with the same kexts and drivers64UEFI - except that I removed ATI related kexts and config parts because I use nVidia... I have no idea what is going on... :thumbdown

Hi there.

I hadn't run any benchmarks before but that's a good idea for other builders so here is the main result for CPU. I think this is a fair score for an i3? Bear in mind I'm currently running the memory at 2133mhz instead of 3000. So far general performance has been very acceptable indeed. Cool and quiet too.

View attachment 304644

I *did* try the iGPU at the beginning but stumbled in pretty much the same way as I had for the Whatevergreen kext - I couldn't get IntelGraphicsFixup installed in the EFI in Safe Mode. Again with the same hindsight I mention above I could have put it, along with Lilu, in L/E instead :rolleyes:. Having two perceived problems I concentrated on sorting the RX560 as my priority and haven't revisited UHD630.

Incidentally I notice Intel spec the iGPU as UHD630 in the 8-series and only HD630 in the 7-series.

Why are you not running your memory at 3000?
Thanks

Why are you not running your memory at 3000?
Thanks

Probably no good reason.:rolleyes:

I'm not pushing my system in any way so the extra stress seems unnecessary. As you probably know the BIOS defaults memory to 2133 when installed unless you specify a speed in the settings. I just left it, although I have tested the higher speed out of curiosity and it's fine.

What's more, when I bought it the price difference was almost non-existent between 2133, 2400 & 3000. So in case I might need it in future etc...

Probably no good reason.:rolleyes:

I'm not pushing my system in any way so the extra stress seems unnecessary. As you probably know the BIOS defaults memory to 2133 when installed unless you specify a speed in the settings. I just left it, although I have tested the higher speed out of curiosity and it's fine.

What's more, when I bought it the price difference was almost non-existent between 2133, 2400 & 3000. So in case I might need it in future etc...

Two questions...

If the memory is designed to run at 3000mhz, is it really stressing the memory to do so?

And second...I have a Z370M-itx/ac in which I just removed the original i5-8400 and replaced it with an i5-8600K. Running Geekbench, I get about the same scores. Any idea why? Even after changing the memory speed to 3000mhz (I did get a small increase doing this)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back