Contribute
Register

Using integrated graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so this is my first post and I am very new to this. I've been looking through these forums for a couple weeks, and you guys look like a great community. I am about to buy parts for my first build, using the parts list in the CustoMac Pro. (I'll list the ones I'm looking at, at the bottom but they really are just the ones in the upper area)

So, the question: Could I get decently smooth performance in macOS (Sierra) if I'm planning on having no supported graphics card on the mac side of things, except for the integrated Intel 530 HD in the i7 6700k.

From looking around on the web, it looks like it can run what I'm looking to run (web browsing, word processing, very basic apps) but I'm not sure if macOS will be okay with just booting with the processors graphics.

That being said, my other option would be to get a basic supported graphics card, and have that installed along with my planned 1080. I'm okay with spending $100 to $150 if that is what it boils down to for macOS (or if that's what you guys recommend).

Why? I'm doing this build for the windows side to run all of the heavy duty work (VR, games, rendering, etc.) and the mac side is for lighter duty. I know there are lots of us that are waiting for Pascal support and I'm hoping this might be my work around until that happens (if that happens).

Parts list:
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
Core i7-6700K
Corsair H60 (Water)
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (32GB)
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (X2)
Corsair RM 650x Watt
Corsair Carbide 300R

See, not very original, but it looked like a good machine to me. I didn't include the GeForce GTX 1080 for reasons we all know.

Also, sorry if this was in the wrong spot or a stupid question.

Thank you so much for the input. Do you think I'd have an issue with cooling the processor by using the integrated graphics? Not even sure if I should be worried about that, but I know it's not intended to be used by itself, although laptops do...

Thank you so much for the input. Do you think I'd have an issue with cooling the processor by using the integrated graphics? Not even sure if I should be worried about that, but I know it's not intended to be used by itself, although laptops do...

Boxed (retail) Intel processors normally come with a cooling solution designed for normal use of the processor. Unless you're using it in a way it wasn't designed (i.e. overclocking), and in a case with adequate air volume, you shouldn't have cooling issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back