Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
An upcoming video project demanded the use of USB 3.0 on my current workstation, but my (now ancient) GA-P55M-UD2 mobo maxed out at USB 2.0

Scouring forums and posts led to the recommendation for the following *PCI-X2* expansion card from Amazon.com

ORICO PFU3-2P Dual Port MAC USB 3.0 PCI Express Card PCI - Express to USB3.0 Host Controller Card for MAC with 4 Pin IDE / ATA Power Supply (2 Port)

As of this writing, it was $17.99 w/free shipping via Prime.
This card was intended to add two USB 3.0 ports to legit 2008 Mac Pro workstations, though the use of a standard molex port for internal power caused plenty of headaches for 'real' Mac users.

Lucky for us, molex cables abound in 'custom' rigs.

I'm happy to report that this card fit perfectly into my PCI-X4 slot, and upon booting, operates flawlessly under OS 10.8.2 (Haven't tried 10.8.4).
No additional drivers necessary, no hacked kexts or other finagling required.

A Blackmagic disk speed test was run on a Patriot 32GB Supersonic Express (24.6 write/79.6 read)- the same results I received from the latest MacBook Air USB 3.0 port.

The seller also provides a 4-port card, and though I've yet to test it, I paired my 2-port model with a:

"Satechi 4 Port Portable USB 3.0 Hub for Ultra Book, MacBook Air, Windows 8 Tablet PC (Black)" $20

-which works fine.
Will test this setup with multiple USB 3.0 external HDD's to determine if any conflicts exist.

Attachments

• USB3 copy.jpg
    USB3 copy.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 686
Thanks for posting this. I just went ahead and ordered the version with the internal USB 3.0 header for $1 more ($18.99). Hoping I can hook it up to a front-panel card reader via that. I'll post my results next week!

Just following up on this. I installed the card in my 2009 Hackintosh running 10.8.4, and it works like a champ. The back ports are fine, and the internal header is hooked up to a Rosewill front-panel USB 3.0 card reader, and the 3.0 ports there work great as well. THanks again for the tip!

An upcoming video project demanded the use of USB 3.0 on my current workstation, but my (now ancient) GA-P55M-UD2 mobo maxed out at USB 2.0

Scouring forums and posts led to the recommendation for the following *PCI-X2* expansion card from Amazon.com

ORICO PFU3-2P Dual Port MAC USB 3.0 PCI Express Card PCI - Express to USB3.0 Host Controller Card for MAC with 4 Pin IDE / ATA Power Supply (2 Port)

As of this writing, it was $17.99 w/free shipping via Prime.
This card was intended to add two USB 3.0 ports to legit 2008 Mac Pro workstations, though the use of a standard molex port for internal power caused plenty of headaches for 'real' Mac users.

Lucky for us, molex cables abound in 'custom' rigs.

I'm happy to report that this card fit perfectly into my PCI-X4 slot, and upon booting, operates flawlessly under OS 10.8.2 (Haven't tried 10.8.4).
No additional drivers necessary, no hacked kexts or other finagling required.

A Blackmagic disk speed test was run on a Patriot 32GB Supersonic Express (24.6 write/79.6 read)- the same results I received from the latest MacBook Air USB 3.0 port.

The seller also provides a 4-port card, and though I've yet to test it, I paired my 2-port model with a:

"Satechi 4 Port Portable USB 3.0 Hub for Ultra Book, MacBook Air, Windows 8 Tablet PC (Black)" $20

-which works fine.
Will test this setup with multiple USB 3.0 external HDD's to determine if any conflicts exist.
Hey i have been searching for this thread.
does the card from this link works http://www.amazon.com/ORICO-PFU3-4P-Express-Controller-Adapter/dp/B008V3THAC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378579239&sr=8-1&keywords=ORICO+PFU3-4P
my main doubt is the molex connector, does it must be plugged to the card to power on?
im looking forward to the 4 port version due to the price.
i wonder it must also works because its the same fresco controller
regards wolf

Hey i have been searching for this thread.
does the card from this link works http://www.amazon.com/ORICO-PFU3-4P-Express-Controller-Adapter/dp/B008V3THAC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378579239&sr=8-1&keywords=ORICO+PFU3-4P
my main doubt is the molex connector, does it must be plugged to the card to power on?
im looking forward to the 4 port version due to the price.
i wonder it must also works because its the same fresco controller
regards wolf
i ordered it from amazon and i can confirm that works natively OOB and flawlesly.

great news here.
tired of trying to get the stupid Etron (useless piece of junk) to work on my z68.

$25 for 4 USB 3.0 ports, problem solved.

The speed looks pretty poor. Have someone got better results then the ones in the first post? A USB 3.0 Card with nearly the same speed as USB 2.0 doesn't make any sense to me...

T

Exist a card with sata3 and usb3 compatible, at the same time?

I have only one pci-express free port!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back