Contribute
Register

USB 3.0 drivers for OSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's possible that it has something to do with the controller inside the enclosure, but not very likely.
Apparently some people are having problem in Windows as well, but this seems to have been mostly solved with newer drivers for the host controller.
I know WD is moving to ASMedia, but I don't know what chip the older drives used, but it's most like JMicron or possibly Genesys Logic, Prolific or Fujitsu, although there are other companies that have made SATA to USB 3.0 bridge chips like SMSC, but they're seemingly not doing them any more.

What I'd say would be worth a try is upgrading the firmware of the drive controller, I presume it's this one you have? http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwa ... ial&os=MAC
It's a couple of months old by now, but I presume this is something you haven't tried?
The release notes are stating that it makes the drive work with 10.7.x and it's also meant to improve device detection.

WD has also released a "turbo" driver for Mac that might be worth a try http://support.wdc.com/product/download ... 08&lang=en

I have a Seagate 3TB GoFlex desktop external drive connected via USB 3.0 and it randomly disconnects as well. I suspect this problem is not WD-specific.

This drive is also not recognized at boot time either. After every boot, I have to unplug/plug to get it recognized. I have an empty eSATA enclosure so I may just move it into there. I don't view USB 3.0 on Hackintosh as stable at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had tried to update the firmware previously but the firmware updater had told me my firmware was the latest version (the drive is about 4 months old). This time I went ahead and installed the new firmware anyways. After installing I had more incidences of ejecting for about two days, and now I'm back to my regular 1-3 ejects a day. I do have the WD 'turbo' drivers for mac installed, it would seem all my components are of the recommended sort and up to date.

Someone had suggested it was a problem the the drive or osx had with stepping down the usb 3 connection to usb 2. I thought I saw somewhere that a different enclosure had stopped this problem for someone.

Anyhow, this is maddening to me. In various places on apple's discussions boards you can find long threads with tons of people having this same problem. The majority of them have WD drives but there are certainly groups having the problems with seagates and a few others. I'm ready to pull my hair out about it. I'd hate to eat this drive, and everything else about it seems solid, but this constant ejecting is just crazy.

I am having an issue with a P55A-UD3, when I installed the USB3 drivers I was able to get my external enclosure to work but only when first plugged in. Now, I see Super Speed but don't not one drive will mount.

Using a Patriot enclosure. P55A-UD3 board rev 2.0 firmware is F11. I also used the Multibeast drivers. I used the latest version as well. :banghead:

Should, I await better driver support or am I up a creek for now. o_O

Solidww said:
I am having an issue with a P55A-UD3, when I installed the USB3 drivers I was able to get my external enclosure to work but only when first plugged in. Now, I see Super Speed but don't not one drive will mount.

Using a Patriot enclosure. P55A-UD3 board rev 2.0 firmware is F11. I also used the Multibeast drivers. I used the latest version as well. :banghead:

Should, I await better driver support or am I up a creek for now. o_O

Did you install the latest Renesas/NEC firmware for the USB controller? This is a separate install form the BIOS which is F11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back