Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello, I was wondering why you cannot just update your system from the OS X installer? For instance, if you were running Mountain Lion, why can't you just download the Mavericks installer and install it from there? Why do you have to create a bootable USB to upgrade?

Thanks

Hello, I was wondering why you cannot just update your system from the OS X installer? For instance, if you were running Mountain Lion, why can't you just download the Mavericks installer and install it from there? Why do you have to create a bootable USB to upgrade?

Thanks

Because the hardware is not Apple hardware. The installer is looking for specific hardware and will not find it on your PC-Mac.

Ok thanks, so if you were to try the installer would it just say that it can not be installed or would it not work and cause problems?

Ok thanks, so if you were to try the installer would it just say that it can not be installed or would it not work and cause problems?
it would reach a point of where it needs to restart and upon restart the computer will just restart into it's normal installation

it would reach a point of where it needs to restart and upon restart the computer will just restart into it's normal installation

+1

It might just be possible using Clover as the bootloader as it provides a fuller UEFI type of environment with patching on the fly, and therefore a more untouched installation remaining on the disk, but its still not guaranteed to work.

Ok thanks. But to your point with clover, the OS X Installer might create an area or small partition I don't know, to boot on and that is how it is able to install OSX. For instance the recovery partition is used to restore or reinstall os x. So clover might be able to recognize that install partition for the os x installer, if that is how it works.

Ok thanks. But to your point with clover, the OS X Installer might create an area or small partition I don't know, to boot on and that is how it is able to install OSX. For instance the recovery partition is used to restore or reinstall os x. So clover might be able to recognize that install partition for the os x installer, if that is how it works.

Yes, and thats my point. It creates an environment more like an original mac.

Ok. When I get my system together I will give it a try and see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back