Contribute
Register

Upgrading my Hackintosh for Editing - FCPX/Davinci Resolve/Future Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 rev. 1.3
CPU
i7-2700K
Graphics
GTX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I,m running my Hackintosh for editing since about threee years now. The machine runs very stable on Mavericks, but I found that I need to make some Upgrades for future requirements. Right now I'm runnung an older version of FCPX and Davinci Resolve 10. Since I'm editing only HD amterial so far, I dont feel like making my Hackie 4k ready. Once I switch to 2.5k oder 4k, I'm pretty sure that I'll build a new computer for that purpose.

This is what my computer looks like by today:

Mobo: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

CPU: Intel i7 2700K

Graphics: EVGA Geforce GTX 570

RAM: 16GB GEIL EVO 1600
SSD: 120 GB OCZ Vertex3
HDD: 1TB Seagate 7.200 rpm

I've read though the forum and found that the only thing I need to upgrade is my GPU and probably RAM. RAM ist not a problem, but I'm stuck with the GPU. When it comes to FCPX, AMD is the obvious choice. It also seems to be that Resolve 12 has improved with OpenCL, so it could probably work with an AMD card. On the other hand I'm not sure where my editing is going so it would be good to have the option to switch to premiere in the future and also learn some compositing (Smoke?). Anyways, I could need some help to chose the richt GPU for my needs. As far as I know, some of the AMD cards are working OOB, but then they do have sleep issues and my most preferable model (R9 390x Gaming 8GB) is a bit of a bet weather it works or not.

Maybe anyone has the same requirements and can give me bit of a hint what's suitable for me? I can also imagine to upgrade from a single GPU to a double solution, but my Motherboard has only one PCIe 16x slot and cuts the bandwith of it to 8x once another GPU ist installed in the 8x slot. I'm not sure if this is a big deal or not, since I don't really have a clue how much bandwith is needed.

Thanks in advance

Tobsn

Thanks Rob, I've done some research on this threads allready, but they are all about FCPX alone. I'm looking for a suitable solution for minimum two different pieces of software. My problem is that I want to get Davinci Resolve 12 running beside FCPX and I don't want it to be somehow slow or unusable on my computer.

If I have to chose only for FCPX the obvious choice is getting an AMD card. But what about Resolve? I'm interrested in a solution that suits both programs.

Cheers

T

PS: The R9 280x has "only" 3GB of RAM. I'm not sure if this is enough for Davinci Resolve 12. I would prefer the R9 390x Gaming 8GB, cause of the 8GB which should be enough for Resolve, but I've heard that a lot of people are having issues with this GPU.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back