Register

Upgrading from Catalina to Ventura

Motherboard
Dell OptiPlex 9020
CPU
i7-4790/Q87
Graphics
GT 740
Hello everyone. I am currently running Catalina on my computer system (the specifications of the system are available in my profile). I managed to upgrade from High Sierra with the help I obtained in the thread below [1]. I am wondering if anyone would have a good suggestion as to how I might upgrade to Ventura in as easy a manner as possible. Would someone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much.

[1] https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...o-upgrade-a-sierra-system-to-catalina.321048/

Hello everyone. I am currently running Catalina on my computer system (the specifications of the system are available in my profile). I managed to upgrade from High Sierra with the help I obtained in the thread below [1]. I am wondering if anyone would have a good suggestion as to how I might upgrade to Ventura in as easy a manner as possible. Would someone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much.

[1] https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...o-upgrade-a-sierra-system-to-catalina.321048/
Official support is Kabylake CPU (can spoof a Skylake CPU)

also check on your GPU:

Official support is Kabylake CPU (can spoof a Skylake CPU)

also check on your GPU:
Are you trying to tell me that it is possible to upgrade or that it is not? If it is possible, would you know how I might? Thanks.

Are you trying to tell me that it is possible to upgrade or that it is not? If it is possible, would you know how I might? Thanks.

Nobody is "trying" to do anything. People are helping you.

The guidance given explains the necessary considerations you need to make if you wish to upgrade to Ventura.

For example, native Nvidia support for the GT740 ended with Monterey. There are patches and hacks by OCLP (for example) that might give some extra life for the GPUs, but support has officially ended and output will not be as good.

Next, Ventura only supports the Kabylake and later Intel CPUs, however you can "spoof" Kabylake on an older Skylake CPU.

You asked for suggestions in your original post ...

I am sorry. It is difficult for me to understand what the reply was explaining. I now understand. Thanks so much.

unless you upgrade your hardware, then yes, it is possible

unless you upgrade your hardware, then yes, it is possible
In other words, if I want to upgrade to Ventura, I must first upgrade my hardware? Thanks for replying.

if I want to upgrade to Ventura, I must first upgrade my hardware?
Get an AMD card like an RX560 or 570 if you want to run Ventura. The GT 740 isn't supported and HD4600 gfx are not either.

Back