Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Upgrade to Sapphire VEGA 56 Nitro+ Leads to Black Screen After Apple Logo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asrock Z87 Extreme 4
CPU
i5 4670k
Graphics
Sapphire Vega 56 Nitro+
Dear community,

A couple of days ago, I made the switch from my old GTX 770 to the Sapphire Vega 56 Nitro+ GPU. Rather foolishly, I assumed it would work out of the box and therefore didn't do any research on potentially required kexts etc. Well, turns out, it doesn't work out of the box and instead boots to a black screen after the apple logo.

So I did some research, added the LILU and WhateverGreen kexts to my EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other directory through my Windows install, played around with some boot args, e.g. RadeonDeinit, but no luck.

I am running out of options now, which is why I'm hoping that one of you might be able to help. Getting a VEGA 56 running does by no means seem impossible, so I'm assuming it's only something little that I'm missing.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.7 KB · Views: 91
Anyone?

Still haven't been able to get it to work I'm afraid...

Try using a different connection. For example, if you are currently using HDMI, give DisplayPort a try...

Cheers for the tip. I had actually tried that already, but just tried it again for good measure - still no luck.

Cheers for the tip. I had actually tried that already, but just tried it again for good measure - still no luck.

I don't know why you are getting black screen... Vega cards should be very much plug-n-play. It should even work without Lilu and WhateverGreen (albeit with fewer active video out ports).

After it boots to black screen, are you able to screen share/VNC in to the computer? Or maybe ssh in to the computer?

I don't know why you are getting black screen... Vega cards should be very much plug-n-play. It should even work without Lilu and WhateverGreen (albeit with fewer active video out ports).

After it boots to black screen, are you able to screen share/VNC in to the computer? Or maybe ssh in to the computer?

Yes, that was my impression too.

If I remember correctly, I had screen sharing disabled and ssh gives me a connection refused. However, the machine does show up in my network and I'm able to ping it, so I assume it's running fine - just no image.

Yes, that was my impression too.

If I remember correctly, I had screen sharing disabled and ssh gives me a connection refused. However, the machine does show up in my network and I'm able to ping it, so I assume it's running fine - just no image.

Maybe it's on a resolution not supported by your monitor?

Maybe it's on a resolution not supported by your monitor?

What resolution could that be? I have a 3440x1440 monitor and I doubt there could be something it doesn't support? The Apple boot is in the correct resolution btw.

Maybe I can somehow enforce a resolution through clover?

What resolution could that be? I have a 3440x1440 monitor and I doubt there could be something it doesn't support? The Apple boot is in the correct resolution btw.

Maybe I can somehow enforce a resolution through clover?

Refresh rate? When I connect my Vega 56 to my 4K monitor via HDMI, I have to lower the refresh rate to get a stable image.

Refresh rate? When I connect my Vega 56 to my 4K monitor via HDMI, I have to lower the refresh rate to get a stable image.

Ah, good call. But it appears I can't change the refresh rate through the monitor's settings. On DP I get a 3440x1440 60hz signal according to the settings panel and on HDMI a 3440x1440 signal, which is both to be expected, just not as a black screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back