Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 970
I have a GTX 970 in my hackintosh running OS X 10.10.5. I don't want to update OS X, but I would like to upgrade the GPU for use in Windows. Do I have any options here besides building a brand new system? Thank you

I have a GTX 970 in my hackintosh running OS X 10.10.5. I don't want to update OS X, but I would like to upgrade the GPU for use in Windows. Do I have any options here besides building a brand new system? Thank you

Hi there.

Good idea but ... Yosemite will run a newer NVidia GPU as long as it is covered by their Web-Drivers, or is natively supported by Apple. We know that the newest non-native cards you could use with the web-drivers are Pascal GPU chipsets like the GTX1050 for example etc. so check the drivers work with Yosemite. None of the latest Nvidia cards have macOS drivers at all.

Natively supported Nvidia GPUs and non-supported types:

As for AMD, you are more limited to Apple's built-in support. For example my RX570 is not recognised by El Capitan so runs without hardware acceleration.

There is a useful AMD guide here:

We have all the NVidia web-drivers in our Downloads section so check your Yosemite build number and match it to the driver.

Graphics cards newer than the GTX 970 are not supported on Yosemite either natively or by Nvidia drivers.

So if you want to run Windows using a newer and better graphics card you basically have to build a new system for Windows only and keep your current system with Yosemite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back