Contribute
Register

[Updated] wildwillow's Haswell Build: GA-Z87X-OC - i7-4770K - HD4600+GT 640

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to update the system to El Capitan with different updates 10.11.1 and 10.11.2 a couple of times, but the installation did not boot into the installer from the USB, despite settings bootflags.
I tried different USB ports, set flags as in the guides, but gave up in the end.

I am tempted to give it another try, but there seem to be reports of USB ports not working at full speed.

Could someone who did update to El Capitan elaborate how he did the update and if the USB is working as 3.0 or not.

Thank you in advance!

Coldcross

Hey ColdCross,
I am running a similar build as wildwillow's except the Radeon R9 280X 3GB reverted back to OS X 10.9.5. Also tried El Cap on another fresh SSD.
(I skipped Yosemite altogether knowing whatever comes after will be a more refined OS X (think Leopard>Snow Leopard, Lion> Mountain Lion, etc))
The update was relatively straightforward given all the hardware are well supported, just remember you build the installation USB with UniBeast, click El Cap. It may help if you try running everything in stock, vanilla settings first. Bear in mind, you can customise and fix everything Clover in post-installation.

The rumours are in fact correct. 2 problems with our GA-Z87X-OC motherboard:
1. Not all USB ports are recognised (and port count patches won't fix)
2. USB 3.0 ports are not running at USB 3 speed (no fix expected)
2.1 Even the Z87 chipset's stock USB3 ports are not running at USB 3 speed

I am tempted to hop onto Yosemite as an interim step until all the kinks are ironed out in El Capitan. But then I didn't find this overly convincing since I have a rock solid 10.9.5 installation.

At this stage, my opinion is scrap El Cap altogether if you're just updating the OS X installation. The hacks and getarounds for El Cap is different than what you may already have in place for Mavericks.

Hope this helps. :)

Thank you for the insights.

I am quite happy with a very stable 10.10.5 installation and while the temptation is big to be up to date, El Capitan seems a bit of a bite to chew. A good reason to stay away were the USB 3.0 issues ...

Until now. There seem to be new developments in terms of 3.0 drivers with the recent release of Multibeast.
Tempting ... :twisted:

Could possibly someone with El Capitan on this board elaborate on this new development?
(Yes, I am a chicken, not to go for it myself, but I wrecked my system more than once doing so and am a bit afraid of Clover).

Thank you!

Thank you for the insights.

I am quite happy with a very stable 10.10.5 installation and while the temptation is big to be up to date, El Capitan seems a bit of a bite to chew. A good reason to stay away were the USB 3.0 issues ...

Until now. There seem to be new developments in terms of 3.0 drivers with the recent release of Multibeast.
Tempting ... :twisted:

Could possibly someone with El Capitan on this board elaborate on this new development?
(Yes, I am a chicken, not to go for it myself, but I wrecked my system more than once doing so and am a bit afraid of Clover).

Thank you!

Hey ColdCross, I'll set up my system the same as yours in the next couple of days and runs some tests on El Capitan 10.11.3. I can tell you that RehabMan's kext from this thread 3rd Party USB 3.0 - GenericUSBXHCI.kext Working in 10.11.2+ works for the AsMedia USB chipset on my Z170 Deluxe, although the drives do not show in System Profile they do mount and are running at USB 3.0 speeds. I'll check to see if this is the case for our Renesas Chipset.

Thank you!
ColdCross,

I'm now running El Capitan 10.11.3(spare drive). Using MultiBeast for USB fixes I can confirm that all USB's are working with the following selected :

Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 11.30.59.png
I've got a SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 that doesn't handle compressed data that well which is part of the BlackMagic Disk speed test. All other data is writing really fast as you can imagine. It's mounting and un-mounting without issues. A pic for you.

Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 11.47.26.png

Thank you very much Wildwillow,

for going through these troubles. I will try to replicate your installation.
That is amazing news.

Thank you also for maintaining support for your build on this motherboard.
It makes the hackintosh journey very smooth.

Thank you very much Wildwillow,

for going through these troubles. I will try to replicate your installation.
That is amazing news.

Thank you also for maintaining support for your build on this motherboard.
It makes the hackintosh journey very smooth.

No problem, you're welcome. Hopefully the smooth journey will continue into El Capitan for you. Keep us posted on your progress ColdCross. Big thanks to RehabMan for the work on USB.

this is great news! I'll have to try it out this weekend.

Now if I can just figure out why some programs crash (Photoshop, Firefox) when I try to open a file chooser I'll be all set! Anyone have this problem before?

Hi all,
I am trying to upgrade to El captain. After i created the bootable usb. I am stuck in installation. After the apple logo during installation, IMG-20160313-WA0000.jpgi got the stop sign.IMG-20160313-WA0002.jpg.

Please help what did I do wrong. I have disconnected all the cable for windows bootable drive. I am installinh fresh on a new ssd.

Hi all,
I am trying to upgrade to El captain. After i created the bootable usb. I am stuck in installation. After the apple logo during installation, View attachment 180803i got the stop sign.View attachment 180802.

Please help what did I do wrong. I have disconnected all the cable for windows bootable drive. I am installinh fresh on a new ssd.
Never mind, I figured out what went wrong. I use usb 3port instead of usb 2 port

Never mind, I figured out what went wrong. I use usb 3port instead of usb 2 port
Hey baspak,

Glad you figured it out. Yeah you probably got "still waiting for root device" if you boot -v (verbose) you would seen this information instead of the no entry symbol. Anyhow you've sorted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back